The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-30-2011, 04:03 PM   #1
ratty65

truck died after cold startup

Ok so I recently was having problem with my Qjet carb and as of friday i decided to swap it out in place of a new Edelbrock. Saturday I installed the new carb and tinkered with it for a bit but was not satisfied until yesterday evening when i feel i really got it running right. I tool the truck out for a while and it ran great. came home and went out a few times after that with no problems whatsoever. Fast forward tothis morning, as I am gettign ready to go to work, I go out and start the truck and once again it starts on the first try and sounds great. After running for about 2 mins the truck dies on me and I think ok maybe have to mess withthe choke a little but when i go to crank it the thing wont start anymore. I have tried a few time s now and have had no luck. does anyone have any idea as to what to look for or check/ I can sit there and try and diagnose it but unfortunately i am working so i am trying to think of things to check tonight after work so I dont have to fiddle with it too much.

I guess a description of tuck would help. It is a 1985 GMC Crew Cab dually, 454 BBC/ th400/ Edelbrock 1411 carb with long tube headers.
ratty65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 04:35 PM   #2
GMC Guy

Re: truck died after cold startup

is it getting fuel?
L33 5.3/4l65e

.................__
............._____l __\__
..............l_(O)_ l___(O)]
GMC Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 04:53 PM   #3
ratty65

I dont know yet as this happened when I was getting ready to leave for work. I hopped in my wifes truck and left. Right now im just trying to get ideas as to what to look for when I get home later.

Last edited by ratty65; 03-30-2011 at 05:17 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:24 PM   #4
babyJay
Arrived on a Pale Horse

How old is the ignition module in the dist? Might check there if you determine it's not getting spark.
babyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 05:45 PM   #5
ratty65

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyJay View Post
How old is the ignition module in the dist? Might check there if you determine it's not getting spark.
Not sure as I just bought the truck a month ago. Also refresh my memory where is the ignition module?
Old 03-30-2011, 05:48 PM   #6
babyJay
Arrived on a Pale Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty65 View Post
Not sure as I just bought the truck a month ago. Also refresh my memory where is the ignition module?
It's under the rotor inside the distributer cap.
babyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 05:50 PM   #7
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

well th e easiest thing to do is check for fuel then you check for spark at the wires then you ckeck for spark at the cap then you pop off the cap and rotor and find that little black thing under the rotor that is a rectangle with wires coing out both ends.. that is the module If spark and fuel is good try starting fluid and see what happens... then start with timing and go from there if its a no go

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:43 PM   #8
ratty65

Well I came home and tried starting and it fired right up. I let it run for a while and ran fine. I let it cool down for a few hours and went back out to start it again and it started fine again. Last night when I got gas I switched the tank not realizing that the other tank was almost empty. Im thinking maybe there was either some bad fuel or water in the tank. ?????? Either way Im going to look into the ignition module this weekend and see if I have any more problems.