The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-02-2011, 12:53 AM   #1
8T3GMC

Secondary Gas tank. Dual tanks

Hey you all. I got a new selecter switch for my 83 GMC. I was just wondering if there was a drain on the gas tanks of these trucks. It does have duel tanks. The driver side one has always work. but the passenger side worked once and they said it didn't again and had it disconnected. I want to fix it to have 2 tanks. But if its going to be a whole ordeal and mess then I will forget about it for a few years. But I was wanting to ask a little about them first.So anyone have advice on how to fix it. I have ordered a new selecter switch. just hoping that valve and all is good and that there aint gas from 1983 in it.

Red 8T3

10/2/10
2/29/12
Gracie-Jo

PAK-MAN.
8T3GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:24 AM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: Secondary Gas tank. Dual tanks

there is no drain and thetanks are easy enough to fix . its prolly eassiest to drop the tank and pop the float assembly out to drain it and inspect it. If its been a while since that tank was used and there is old gas in it youll want to drain it and if the tank is in good shape have it boiled out for kicks and re hook the lines. THe floats can be expensive but not that bad

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 03:11 PM   #3
philthethrillohio

im having similar problem, my secon tank doesnt work. no clue why. also my gas gauge bounces up and down during acceleration and decleration. truck sat for few years. any ideas what my problem is? sory not trying to thread jack
philthethrillohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 05:14 PM   #4
orbot

chech your return lines................
orbot is offline   Reply With Quote