The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-02-2011, 06:59 PM   #1
fastcam1
Young gun

gas tank?

so my original plan was to relocate the fuel tank to the frame rails but my projects budget is pretty tight now and im wondering if its really worth it to relocate or stay stock, so do the pros really out weigh the cons?

Northwest C10's
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/Norhtwestc10s/
Cameron sparks
fastcam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 08:03 PM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Re: gas tank?

I'd leave it alone if it doesn't leak. Assuming it doesn't leak, it's safer in the cab anyways. The location most people move it to is one of the worst places to put it.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 01:50 AM   #3
ItsRandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
I'd leave it alone if it doesn't leak. Assuming it doesn't leak, it's safer in the cab anyways. The location most people move it to is one of the worst places to put it.
Safer in the cab? I think that is open for debate, however, if the tank does rupture mounted in the back of the truck you don't take a bath in gas as you would with the tank in the cab. Weight distubution is better with the tank in the back.

Last edited by ItsRandy; 04-03-2011 at 01:51 AM.
ItsRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 02:54 AM   #4
bucketObolts

Oh no, not this debate. Well, without getting too far into this classic..Ill just say I put a racing cell in my custom back-half. My pros or reasoning for it was so I could shave the filler hole and the leg room is really nice. The con I guess would be the cost but there are cheaper ones out there or you can make your own if you trust your welds. I have had 3 other 67-72's that were closer to stock and was just fine with the tank behind my seat.
bucketObolts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:14 AM   #5
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

As long as the tank is not leaking I don't mine being behind the seat.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:54 AM   #6
mbgmike

Quote:
They worked for years this way and still do. maybe we are creating a bunch of C10 pintos by putting them in the back
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 12:21 PM   #7
R.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbgmike View Post
They worked for years this way and still do. maybe we are creating a bunch of C10 pintos by putting them in the back
You might be right but I'd still like to move mine from behind the seat for the storage space but I wont the spare tire left alone, I'm thinking about building a tank that will fit under the cab or under the front of the bed if thats possible maybe two tanks on either side of the drive shaft.
R.L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 12:46 PM   #8
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

how can you get leg room from ditching the tank? The seat hits the cab before it gets to the tank, and if you were to modify to move the sseat further back, then you'll have to sit the seat too far verticle to be comfortable.
9 times out of ten, if the in cab tank gets ruptured from an accident, then you have bigger things to worry about, like a car hitting your hip.
If you get rearended, usually the car hitting you will go under your truck and the tank will get sliced open dumping fuel all over the hot engine of the car parked under your rear bumper. In this day and age, ambulance chacers would go after you BIG TIME if you catch there client on fire.
In bed fuel cell should be very safe, and a tank or two inside the frame, forward of the rear end is probably the safest place.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 01:00 PM   #9
stich626
Account Suspended

Quote:
how can you get leg room from ditching the tank? The seat hits the cab before it gets to the tank, and if you were to modify to move the sseat further back, then you'll have to sit the seat too far verticle to be comfortable.
9 times out of ten, if the in cab tank gets ruptured from an accident, then you have bigger things to worry about, like a car hitting your hip.
If you get rearended, usually the car hitting you will go under your truck and the tank will get sliced open dumping fuel all over the hot engine of the car parked under your rear bumper. In this day and age, ambulance chacers would go after you BIG TIME if you catch there client on fire.
In bed fuel cell should be very safe, and a tank or two inside the frame, forward of the rear end is probably the safest place.
after getting t boned on the pass side and having to roll on the ground to put myself out, I'll never have a tank behind my butt,
stich626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 01:13 PM   #10
bucketObolts

It depends on what seats you are running. No running a stock bench wont do you much good because they do hit the cab wall. But with my seats I mounted the tracks 1 3/4 inches back which dont sound like much but thats the first thing any 67-72 owner says when they sit in the truck. and they are at a pretty normal angle, maybe a tad straight but thats how i have my seats in my daily so i dont notice. Plus I have alittle bit of storage space, Not much but certainly more than I had before. i keep spare air line, valves you name it for that inevitable 2 am air ride failure. Then again shes never been on the road so..
bucketObolts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 02:28 PM   #11
treveiger

IMO I like mine in the cab, thats where they were in the first place and theyve been in there for 40+ years and i grew up ridding in a old 71 that was rusted out to heck but i survived. I remember the floors were so gone if we wanted to throw or pour something out wed just pour it out the rust hole. If mine rotted away i would probably put it in the bed not under it because with all these "low ridding rice rockets" that like to tail you now a days will end up under your truck if you were needing to stop. If your worried about a safety these old trucks really arent for you but as long as you dont drive it like a newer car you shouldnt have to be too concerned IMO.
Old 04-03-2011, 02:58 PM   #12
71Sixer

Nothing like no radio, the sound of the engine, and that sloshing gas in the tank to really feel the classic truck experience. I'll never move mine!
71Sixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:21 PM   #13
emil77

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Sixer View Post
Nothing like no radio, the sound of the engine, and that sloshing gas in the tank to really feel the classic truck experience. I'll never move mine!
Haha! I have the same feelings. Going up onto my driveway the sloshing sound of the gas tank is music to my ears.
emil77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:22 PM   #14
treveiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Sixer View Post
And dont forget the smell of gas that after a while puts a smile on your face
Old 04-03-2011, 03:42 PM   #15
fastcam1
Young gun

thanks everyone ill stick with it in the cab

Northwest C10's
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/Norhtwestc10s/
Cameron sparks
fastcam1 is offline   Reply With Quote