The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-04-2011, 02:53 PM   #1
kevinr1970

Edelbrock Header issues

I bought a set of the Edelbrock shorty headers in hopes of saving my mandrel bent exhaust kit I put on previously.
Installing on a 1987 (TBI) GMC 2wd 2500.

Issues I ran into:
1. It says to remove heat riser valve from right side (passenger) manifold. My truck doesn't have one?
The existing exhaust pipe is about 2" short of connecting to the header; can I just find a HRV from an earlier truck and instal it even though I don't need it to make up the distance?
In the picture I attached of the Edelbrock headers, you can see that on the outlet on the driver side there is a flange that accepts their included doughnut gasket, but on the passenger side it is flat to mate to the HRV; I assume the HRV has a flange or recess on the pipe side that accepts a doughnut gasket.

2. I attached a picture from the '86 I used to own. In it you can see the check valve (CV) is in a horizontal position.
On the '87 I am working on, the CV is also in a horizontal position, but it is much lower, more inline with the outlet on the smog pump.
On the headers, the fitting for the CV is in a vertical location. I think I could make it work by making a loop in the rubber hose that connects the CV to the connector tube (CT), but am worried having rubber hose that close to the headers, especially that much.
And, it would be a bit unsightly...

3. The kit came with a length of 3/4 rubber hose I think is supposed to replace the hose connecting the CV to the CT, but my CV and CT look to use 5/8?

4. The port of the O2 sensor is on the front of the header outlet but on my manifolds it is on the rear so I will need to lengthen that wire. Not a big deal, but if the port were on the backside, it wouldn't need any modification and an OEM replacement part could be used without needing to be modified.

5. The outlet of the header has an inside diameter of around ~1-7/8". the outlet of the exhaust manifold has a an ID of ~2-1/8". I hope the tubes of the header vs. the cast manifold make a big difference or I just spent good money to pretty up the engine compartment.

I contacted Edelbrock and explained what was happening. The tech kept going back and forth to his manager and the eventual conclusion was that these headers are not compatible with my truck. They will take them back and refund my money even though they are pretty dirty and a little beat up from the installation.
But it looks like even though they say thay work on trucks/Suburbans/Blazers up to 1991, that may not be the case, at least not with out modifying some things.

I would like to salvadge my exhaust system without having to take it to an exhaust shop to fashion new ends/collectors but not sure if I can right now.
1991 GMC CrewCab Dually 4x4, just going to fix things up for now
1982/1989 K5/GMC Jimmy 2wd
1987 GMC 1/2 ton swb 2wd Crew (sold)
kevinr1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:48 AM   #2
kevinr1970

Re: Edelbrock Header issues

What happened to the pictures?
Attached Images

1991 GMC CrewCab Dually 4x4, just going to fix things up for now
1982/1989 K5/GMC Jimmy 2wd
1987 GMC 1/2 ton swb 2wd Crew (sold)