The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-11-2011, 08:09 PM   #1
rahatawa

Alternator Question

Someone at some point stuck in a later integrated head engine into my truck.

I am in need of an alternator now for the truck and have no idea what to ask for. Should I pull it and take it to a parts store? Is it a generic item? I am lost.

would pictures of it help you guys tell me what to do?fixed. added pics anyway. no one complains about too many pictures right?

I think it is a 250, no a/c in the truck. its a 64 truck but i know the engine isn't original... help
drew

Last edited by rahatawa; 03-11-2011 at 08:17 PM.
rahatawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:29 PM   #2
trevrolet65

Re: Alternator Question

Yeah, just drive it up there, have them look at it, pull it and replace. Yeah right? Looks like a regular 3-wire from the picture. You answered yourself, pull it and take it with you, they can test them at most places. Thats what I always do. Have the parts store test it for free first. Good luck.
trevrolet65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:05 AM   #3
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

That'san externally regulater alternator. Typical of what came on your '64 originally. The externally regulated alternators were used up thru the mid 70's. I don't remember the exact year they changed.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 10:35 AM   #4
trevrolet65

Yes sir, and if they check that alt. for you, that'll let you know if it's the alt., or the regulator, or something else. Don't run both regulators, my old 65 blew up my aftermarket amp guage and wires when I was a young teenager. Smoke filled the cab, engine died, and scared the you know out of me. I thought it was external by the way the plug is on it, but was not for sure. Good luck
trevrolet65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:14 PM   #5
rahatawa

Saved my pennies thinking I was going to have to pay 100+ for the alternator and took it to a rebuilders shop and 30$ later I had a rebuilt one-wire alternator.

Ten minutes after that it was on the truck. (I am excited about getting tail lights so that I can drive legally-ish) Still no lights however. The wipers work. and the Horn works. The fuses all look good. I am thinking the regulator may be bad as well?

Pictures always help.

So the extra two wires... just let them hang there? Attach them to?

And the regulator as I understand it best....

I went and bought a multimeter and keep poking at wires but merely poking at them with no real sense of direction isn't getting me anywhere.

Any help/advice/bad advice... any of it would be appreciated . Wife won't let me drive it with her boys in it without working brake lights. Can't wait till she realizes the seatbelt situation
Old 04-05-2011, 06:50 PM   #6
j.kirn

Are you saying that you are not getting brake lights? If you are not check the switch on the brake pedal.
j.kirn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:11 PM   #7
Str8axle

If you're running a one-wire alternator now, you're not using or need the regulator anymore. And that regulator has nothing to do with your tail lights. Make sure the tail light harness is plugged in at the firewall.

All my life, I've been told I'm a "Bad Influence"
Str8axle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:25 PM   #8
rahatawa

Have you ever had something work out in your favor but at the expense of your pride? Well I have decided that I have no problem with it!

By some stroke of genious, I left the light switch pulled out on the dash before I went to the community college to teach. Ended up going to the oldest's soccer game then out for ice cream. Come home and the tail lights are on.... The brake switch must not be working. That makes me feel much much better.

The turn signal stalk I haven't begun to tackle. And don't want to! ha. at least i know the lights can light up. tomorrow i will take a look at the switch at the pedal.