The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-04-2011, 05:32 PM   #51
Sicklajoie
The Niner

Re: A Longhorn, for real???

Now here's a real nice Longhorn
Niner Progression Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=697183
Classic Trucks article: https://www.motortrend.com/features/...et-c20-driven/
Sicklajoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 05:56 PM   #52
Beat68CST

Whether or not they come included, yes, it is. (:
Beat68CST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:38 PM   #53
DakotaLS6

Between my father, my mother, my brothers and me we own 25 chevy vehicles. Most are chevy pickup trucks 1968- 1989s but my mom also has a dirtymax. But between my father, my brothers and myself we own 5 dodge diesels. Dad just came home with a long horn dually and it is BY FARRRRR the nicest truck we own or have every owned. I am way die hard chevy but theres just no getting past the FACT that the long horn is an ingredible truck, very far from a piece of sh1t!
I'm a Mason! Lodge #624
DakotaLS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:28 AM   #54
special-K
Special Order

How do you know? It's brand new. The only reason to buy a Dodge is the Cummins,IMO,and that's what you all bought. The trucks suck and that's from hearing it time and again from owners. I know few companies that run fleets. I know many who tried and stepped away. Dodge has always used more razzle dazzle to sell. They have more names for trucks than anyone else. In fact,they aren't even trucks. They are Rams!

I just saw a well optioned black '80s Dodge shortbed with a good body (not rusty) on a rollback pulling into the junkyard the other day. I couldn't imagine a square body by that description ever going for junk.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 04-05-2011 at 08:29 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:13 AM   #55
rsavage

Old Chevys will always be my first love. That's what I save and restore. However, for the last decade plus, I have had Dodge trucks as my daily transportation/hauling needs. I've had a short bed 1500 4X4 with 318, long bed club 2500 4X4 with a 360, a Dakota club RT 2wd with a 360, a Dakota club 4X4 with a 4.7, a Ram 1500 4X4 quad with a hemi, and my current Ram 2500 4X4 quad with a Cummins. I bought 2 new and the others used. Didn't have any problems with any one of them, and I was happy with all the drivetrains. I don't see any of the late model trucks as "collectibles" in the future, except for perhaps Lightnings, RT's, SSR's, SS's. In any event, I consider them a good truck.
2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:57 PM   #56
mrein3

Back when I was working my way through college at a local fix-it shop, my boss (still a good friend 25 years later) told me something I live by to this day.
Your first Dodge is nobody's fault.
Your second Dodge is your own darn fault.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:08 PM   #57
pulltilbroke

I'd own another Dodge but it wouldn't be any newer than 93 and it would have to be a Cummins truck.

Theres an Old saying floating around on some of the diesel forums I'm on about the 1stgen Cummins Dodges. "Last real Truck, First real truck engine"
93 Dodge W350 Dually Cummins, Getrag, 205,D60/D70
pulltilbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:45 PM   #58
Six862m6

Guys, I know this will inevitably piss some of you off but I've taken the time to read through this entire thread and would really like to throw my own two cents in. I'm really getting tired of hearing the old "they don't make 'em like they used to" mantra...

I'll start by at least saying that I've ALWAYS loved the looks of our trucks; there is something completely unique and beautiful about the 67-72 GM truck body style that almost all people love. As a teenager my first truck was a rusted out '80 Chevy longbed that I bought myself and I proceeded to own 3 more of the 73-87 trucks up through college. However, I ALWAYS wanted a 67-72 though, but could never afford a decent one at the time (even then they were sought after, keep in mind we're talking a time span of 11-13 years ago). As for any of the new trucks ever becoming "collectible"? Who knows? No one knew our trucks would have the following they do now when they were new. And almost all old vehicles become collectible to some extent once they get to be a certain age and are in decent condition. (Corvairs for example!) But I can honestly say that I believe our trucks (again, the 67-72s) are a step above the rest in desirability; truly nice, frame off restored examples command every bit as much money or more as similar condition trucks from previous generations, regardless of make from what I have seen. That's saying something about their appeal.

I could care less about the new trucks, the newest truck I have ever owned (and the only one NOT a GM truck) was an '88 Ford Lariat. Nice truck. Very nicely optioned for the year, great strong running 5.0L. No complaints. Didn't think it was as good looking as a 73-87 GM though. The real truth of the matter is, the new trucks are no longer work vehicles for the most part (sure, the very base models still pretty much qualify as work vehicles), they've instead been turned into over expensive, plush, luxury/status vehicles. These high end trucks cost more than most cars ever thought about! I mean, a new, fully loaded F350 Lariat is running in the mid 50k range! Comon guys! Our trucks and the trucks before them (and really even up until the 90's) were NEVER meant to be status icons or anything other than work vehicles. Even the whole concept behind the Longhorns was to cram more stuff in the bed for hauling to the job! AC was the biggest luxury you could hope for on our trucks! They'd had power seats, power mirrors, all these other things for quite a time when these trucks came out but they kept those things to the LUXURY vehicles; Caddilacs, the big Oldsmobiles, etc.

Now, the part that IS going to make some of you mad, and I'm sorry for this, but I honestly believe this to be true. When it comes to the new trucks (and vehicles in general) vs. our trucks through the late 90s, theres no comparisson in quality. The actual metal, treatment/paint, and build quality of the time was not even CLOSE to that of the new vehicles today. The fitment of body panels on our trucks from the factory were terrible compared to today's standards. And I've never seen one of our trucks that hasn't had to have most of the bottom of its cab replaced at some time or another due to complete rust out, not to mention other body parts unless MAYBE its been in the desert its entire life. Whenever we go looking for one of our trucks we almost always look for one of two things; either one that has had the body panels done and replaced RIGHT or one that is still rotted out and not been touched so we can do it ourselves RIGHT. If you don't buy that, think about what happened to the American automotive industry. Compare a '90 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera (What a POS! But supposed to be a mid to standard size sedan at the time) to a '90 Honda Accord, or even a Civic... Are there even anymore of those Olds around on the road? But you see these 90's Hondas and Toyotas everywhere! I know, I drive a '90 Accord as my daily beater! American cars started getting bad and by the mid to late 80's most were just completely subpar to the offerings of many of the foreign automakers. My Accord lost its timing belt last year at 230,000 miles. First timing belt, never been changed (bought the car from my parents who had had it since it was 3 years old, so its safe to say I know almost all of its history). After installing the new belt, I did a compression test to see if it had bent any valves. Not only had in not bent any valves, the little b@$t@rd had almost factory compression in all four cylinders. AFTER 230,000 MILES! The interior... you know how the dashes in the 73-87s (and I can't speak for the trucks after, never owned a newer one) ALWAYS split? How about how camaro's seats (and many other american vehicles seats) always split with stuffing coming out after a few years? Theres not a single thread out of place in that car's interior nor is there a single crack in it's dash. The doors? 21 years old and not a 1/16th of an inch in play in the hinges. Show me one American vehicle that's been driven 200,000+ miles and is 20 years or older that the damn hinges aren't worn out. Not going to happen. It's doors still shut with the same old solid solid 'thunk' as they did when my parents first got the car. How about things like the power windows? All four power windows still operate like they should and have never had the regulators or motors changed. Every single american car I have owned (all older than 10 years old, none older than 20) that had power windows I had to replace the window motors in (including the '88 Lariat that was ONLY 10 years old at the time!). Hell the car is still running on its factory water pump! I didn't change it with the timing belt because on that car I'm a firm believer in "don't fix it if it isn't broken"!

Anyway, before you all label me as a commie or anti American, WAIT. The silver lining in this and real point I'm trying to make is this: I believe our automakers FINALLY got their acts together starting in the early to mid '00s. I truly believe that today's American vehicles are finally as good of quality, if not better, than their foreign counter parts. I know you all don't like plastic interiors and its not like I'm a big fan either, but the truth is plastic doesn't corode, bend, etc... it'll probably outlast the metal that is on the body and if my Accord's dash (well interior in general, from the headliner, to the floor carpet, to the door panels) is any indicator of how the new generation of cars' (both foreign and domestic) dashes, door panels, etc are going to wear; they'll still look basically new after 20 years with a little Armor All.... Leather is leather, unless the vehicle never sees sunlight and is always treated its going to eventually dry out and deteriorate, doesn't matter who made it or what you do. Its the nature of the beast, pardon the pun. I actually traded a Lexus SC400 for my '68 that's in my Avatar; one of the reasons I wanted to get rid of the car (besides having found the truck I always wanted!) was that it's entire interior was leather... the dash, the window posts, the door panels, EVERYTHING. And it was ALL starting to dry up! So while I will competely agree that this new "Longhorn" Dodge truck is completely obscene and just a way to flash how cool you are and how much money you have, I definitely wouldn't call it junk in any way shape or form. Truth is, it will probably be in MUCH better condition 20 years down the road than any of our trucks were at the same age and given the exact same "living" conditions and treatment. Same with the rest of the newer trucks or vehicles for that matter.

Ok, let the flaming begin......
Old 04-05-2011, 06:00 PM   #59
70truckguy

Flame on!
LOL
I have to agree, sort of...
They don't make 'em like they used to, they make 'em better. I really like my truck, but my wife's 2000 suburban has 280,000 miles on it and not one repair that wasn't a "wearable" part. I prefer some modern upgrades for mine, things I think were greatly improved since 1970. Might as well roast me too...
70truckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:14 PM   #60
va72longhorn

I guess I should chime since I have them all around me. My DD is a '04 King Ranch with the 6.0 Nice truck, love the ride and feel of the saddle leather. I would never buy another 6.0 but it gets the job done. Under powered with less than 160k on it and the engine has already cost me 4k in repairs. I have a buddy with a 04 duramax, of which I love the power, but I personally think the ride sucks. Feels to much like a car. Now back home on the farm, my 70 year old mother has a 99 Dodge 1500 with 250k on it and a 98 dodge 3500 cummins with 350k on it. Both still travel a minimum of 50 miles a day. Loyal 4k oil changes go a long way but both Dodge transmission gave up before 175k. Other than the typical worn out bolt on parts, both engines are untouched. In 35 years, I have never driven or ridden in a comfortable Dodge, they should come standard with a heating pad, IMO.
Now, for the apple of my eye, my 72 C-30 super cheyenne Longhorn. My fifth and last (we all say that) 67-72 generation Chevrolet. I agree.... there is but one Longhorn. Buckets, big block, AC, side toolbox, tach, woodgrain, chrome, what more would a man want? I have more appreciation for that truck than any Ford or Dodge, new or used. Yeah, that Dodge Longhorn is pretty, but let me see it in 2051 when its 40 years old. Think it'll be worth $400k, eight times what you'll pay for it new today? It'll be another "Warlock" or "Lil Red Express".
va72longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:38 PM   #61
stich626
Account Suspended

ever here the song from the KINKS
Give The People What They Want?????
thats all dodge,ford,g.m. are doing...
because they've all been burned..
take g.m. every g.m. guy out there cry'd when g.m. killed the 94-96 impala SS
and then went nuts when the plug was pulled on the f body..
no rear wheel drive cars ,only the vette.. g.m. guys where getting to know how mopar guys felt in the 80's
they bring over a holden , built better than any f body ever dreamed about, with better materials in the interior , IRS and rear drive.. with enough oats to make any gto before it look silly.. even the first year car.. people cry'd because the car guys really thought g.m. would make a new copy of a 66 or 70 gto..
same with the G8 makes the impala SS look silly in speed and handle'n
mopar and ford had the same issues..
now they build what people want. not what 1% of people want.
they don't care if guys complain about use of a name thats 40 years out of production..
because new buyers don't care, and automakers care about the buyers, not the ones with 40+ year old cars/trucks that ar not gonna buy the product anyways..
cause lets face it , tons of people with old cars/trucks for either far weather rides or w end toys.. buy jap crap for a daily..
in this case mother mopar only cares if the ones signing on the dotted line. like it..
not us..
cause if they did.they'd build a 1/2 ton with p/s,p/b,a/c and a big engine and not much else..
never gonna happen
stich626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:17 PM   #62
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Oh, I have an a$$horn....

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:53 PM   #63
glider_6969

What the heck, I'll throw my two cents in on this one. I have always loved these old trucks of ours from the first time I seen one I wanted one. I can still remember the first truck I ever bought was 72 GMC Fleetside and I used it how a truck should be used. It was what I could afford at the time and drove it evey day all year round. I have never owned a foreign vehicle and probably never will. I couple years ago I got back into these old trucks and now have a 68 GMC which I just finished over the winter. To comment on the Dodge thing, actually that is one of my other rides, now that I can afford them. It's a 2011 4x4 Big Horn,(not longhorn)pretty much loaded and has a Hemi, this is actually my 3 third Dodge.
When it comes to classic vehicles the "brand" to me doesn't really matter there is good and bad with all of them keeping them alive is what matters.

Sorry guys I love my old truck, but the Hemi in my new one and the technology is hard to beat.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:02 PM   #64
Hubscrub
Cruzin

I'll stay with my old chevy's and payment free/the new technology is great until it start messing up. My dad was a auto tech. for 30 years last of those on dodges he always brags on the chevrolets thought, he drives a dodge as a daily but the last two he bought has been GM and he says he can tell a definate difference (as far as better) in the GM product.

Back to the Fifties 59 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NAeStpydfrcj_U

Proverbs 3:5,6

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."Charles Kuralt

In memory of our first baby daughter, daddy and mommy love you.
Danica Grace 6/26/14
Hubscrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:28 PM   #65
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critter View Post
No kidding! The words "Shelby" and "Charger" do NOT belong on this poor excuse for a muscle car! I'm not a furd fan and it even offended me years ago (the late 60s Chargers are pretty cool though).
I hope they paid Carroll Shelby plenty for that, it's pathetic

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:48 AM   #66
Gobbles

I love old trucks and I love new trucks. My old truck is my baby and my toy. The new truck is the daily driver. I don't mind wear and tear on the new truck but dammit I want my old truck to last forever.

"You already said spite"
Gobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:55 AM   #67
Six862m6

Quote:
Originally Posted by stich626 View Post
ever here the song from the KINKS
Give The People What They Want?????
thats all dodge,ford,g.m. are doing...
because they've all been burned..
take g.m. every g.m. guy out there cry'd when g.m. killed the 94-96 impala SS
and then went nuts when the plug was pulled on the f body..
no rear wheel drive cars ,only the vette.. g.m. guys where getting to know how mopar guys felt in the 80's
they bring over a holden , built better than any f body ever dreamed about, with better materials in the interior , IRS and rear drive.. with enough oats to make any gto before it look silly.. even the first year car.. people cry'd because the car guys really thought g.m. would make a new copy of a 66 or 70 gto..
same with the G8 makes the impala SS look silly in speed and handle'n
mopar and ford had the same issues..
now they build what people want. not what 1% of people want.
they don't care if guys complain about use of a name thats 40 years out of production..
because new buyers don't care, and automakers care about the buyers, not the ones with 40+ year old cars/trucks that ar not gonna buy the product anyways..
cause lets face it , tons of people with old cars/trucks for either far weather rides or w end toys.. buy jap crap for a daily..
in this case mother mopar only cares if the ones signing on the dotted line. like it..
not us..
cause if they did.they'd build a 1/2 ton with p/s,p/b,a/c and a big engine and not much else..
never gonna happen
I very much agree with this; both the new GTO and G8 are excellent and astounding cars. They should have changed the Holden's name to something other than GTO as I think a lot of people were expecting just that; a retro muscle car much like the new Mustangs, Camaros, Chargers, & Challengers, but a great car nontheless and it at least earns the moniker in performance and spirit if not in looks (unlike the "shelby" that was mentioned earlier in the thread). I was actually telling my old man just the other day that if he wanted to buy today's version of one of the truly bad a$$ muscle cars that I believe will be HIGHLY collectible, he should get ahold of one of the few G8 GXPs.... What a car.

And I didn't mean to try and "sell" "jap crap" on here. Just the opposite, I wanted to express my opinion that I think any of todays GM, Ford, and Chrysler products are finally on the same level of build quality as any of the foreign auto makers and would therfore choose to support my country's products over another's. But if we're talking vehicles of the mid to late 80's and even early 90's.... I'd have to stick with the jap crap for daily drivers... I'd rather drive than push...
Old 04-06-2011, 09:33 AM   #68
special-K
Special Order

The fit and finish of the 67-72s is all it needed to be. After all,they weren't built to be high end luxury vehicles,right? I never saw a problem or even paid any attention to fit and more people than not have always felt these are some of the nicest looking trucks ever built.
Rust? How many '90s or newer trucks are 40 years old? I know Japanese cars hold up well,mechanically. But,they sure do rust. How many early '70s Japanese cars or trucks do you see on the road? Comparing 67-72 truck bodies to the new ones is like saying 22 year old girls have nicer figures,hair,and skin than a 62 year old. REALLY???
Back to Dodge...How many 67-72 Dodge trucks do you see around? I had a '69 back in '77 and it was one of the only ones around. It was already rusted out and parts were even hard to get from the dealer. That's eight years old,like a '03 today! There were plenty in the junkyard to scrounge parts from. Thank God they didn't crush them so quick as they do today. I did a frame-off restoration in '79 and took a cab off a junked bigger truck because they had less rust due to the running boards. I drove it to Arizona in '80 and it was one of the few around there,even.
It takes more than good looks for me to keep anything around for so many years and feel as strongly as I do. My x-wife still looks good and is with a younger guy now (poor fool).
I know we all have our opinions. I love GM trucks for many reasons and feel good sticking with them. I don't care what anyone else chooses to drive. It's all personal preference. But,of all the places in the world to spout my opinion on other brands I figure a GM truck sight should be a pretty good choice. If I drove other stuff I'd expect to have to hear a bit of "anti" here from time to time and figure on just taking it. Heck,I made a comment that the new Chevys were fugly compared to the GMCs and caught some flack from an administrator that owns one. Just because I don't like anchovies doesn't mean I don't think anyone else should eat them.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 04-06-2011, 10:26 AM   #69
Six862m6

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
The fit and finish of the 67-72s is all it needed to be. After all,they weren't built to be high end luxury vehicles,right? I never saw a problem or even paid any attention to fit and more people than not have always felt these are some of the nicest looking trucks ever built.
Rust? How many '90s or newer trucks are 40 years old? I know Japanese cars hold up well,mechanically. But,they sure do rust. How many early '70s Japanese cars or trucks do you see on the road? Comparing 67-72 truck bodies to the new ones is like saying 22 year old girls have nicer figures,hair,and skin than a 62 year old. REALLY???
I agree with some of this and some not. You're VERY correct about 70's jap vehicles being rust buckets, even early 80's. The old man drove an '85 Toyota truck for many years that NEVER broke down (when he didn't need a gas guzzling, large truck. That's what the '86 I'll mention later was for... ) but by 2000 the body was SHOT. These trucks were, like our trucks, notorious for rotting out. But they got their metal issues corrected and I can assure you my '90 Accord has less rust on it than any '90 Cutlass or Cavalier, or whichever you'd like to insert here, again, given the same environmental conditions. I'm not going to lie and say its rust free... these cars have a problem with the areas around the rear wheels for some reason. But that's it. And I can't really comment about OUR generation of trucks when they were only 20 years old, hell I was only 7 years old when my truck was 20... I'm definitely not trying to say any vehicle is going to make it to 40+ years without needing a rust intervention, old, new, foreign or domestic. I'm really comparing 20 year old vehicles because its this age and even under when I have started seeing rust issues pop up on various vehicles. I know all 4 of my 73-87s (an '80, '81, '77, & '86) had rust issues that were really pretty bad and all save the '77 were LESS than 20 years old when I owned them. The 80 was a flintstone mobile in both the floor pans and bed and it was 16 years old when I bought it. The 81's cab corners were GONE and it was 17 when I had it. The 77 doesn't count, it WAS just barely over 20 years old when I got it but had already had its entire body (new fenders, bedsides, cab redone) replaced 10 years before I owned it by the P.O. and was ready to be done again... but the second time around has to do with aftermarket parts, not factory quality... still, it HAD been done. The '86 was the most solid, but still had some rocker and corner issues when first purchased (my dad bought this truck to begin with, had it painted, then I bought 6-8 years down the road). Anyway, point being my dad who was certainly around for our trucks (and while not quite as much affinity for them as us, still likes them) and has told me that they were no different in rusting out as the 73-87s and were, like the next generation, doing it by 20 years old and less. Also engineering quality.... great point being door hinges. Why is it my car's hinges have no play after 20 years and the door shuts perfectly as the day it was new, but try that on most any other american car its age? Our trucks and the 73-87s trucks hinges are notorious for wearing out, again most of the trucks besides the '86 that I owned needed hinges and they were all less than 20 years old. Yes, they were heavier doors, I understand this. But they weren't THAT much heavier. Couldn't the proper engineering have been done to create a longer lasting, suitable door hinge?

Anyway, again my biggest point is that the new vehicles, both foreign and domestic, are built to last longer than the cars of previous generations, including our trucks. Just because the new trucks are obscene status icons doesn't make them junk. I'm proud to say that our manufacturers finally got their acts together and started making quality vehicles that hopefully won't need patch panels welded in after 15+ years of being on the road or door hinges because the doors will no longer close properly. Everything being relative of course, I wouldn't expect anything that is constantly exposed to salty roads to last near as long as something that's spent its life in Arizona.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:15 PM   #70
special-K
Special Order

I've seen 1999 trucks with rusted cab corners,rockers,fenders,and even frames rusted out. The 67-72 bodies held up better than the square bodies in rusty states. 73-77s were notoriously rusty. 67-72s outlast those. A full size guzzles gas compared to Japanese trucks until you try to haul the same amount. Full-size US trucks suck gas empty and loads barely effect mileage,if at all. Japanese trucks get 1/2 decent mileage empty but that drops off severely when a real load is put on them,if it fits. Or,you need to make two trips,which obviously doubles fuel consumption. They are neat little workhorses for small jobs,but not to be compared with full-size US trucks. Newer vehicles do run some high miles,but repair costs run way higher than older stuff and thinds still break. Dumb little stuff goes up and it costs crazy labor to replace small dollar parts. I have a friend with a Durango that needed a heater core replaced. It's a $1,600 job because the dash and steering column have to be removed. Heck,just getting to the battery on many newer cars is a big deal. When '90s Ford Powerstroke head gaskets go the cab needs to be removed. And,head gaskets still go on new stuff just like old stuff. It's way easier to keep an old one going than anything newer. I dread the thought of trying to keep anything made in the last 20 years on the road when it's aged.

Tim

Old 04-06-2011, 10:32 PM   #71
Hubscrub
Cruzin

Quote:
It's way easier to keep an old one going than anything newer. I dread the thought of trying to keep anything made in the last 20 years on the road when it's aged.
i heard that^ the "newest" truck i have has had the most dollars put into it for repair. As far as the rust alot depends on the driver in my op. if you keep the underside washed out, like the bedside inner lips that hold dirt etc. it helps alot (we don't deal with salt down here but a few times a year) there is 70's 80's stuff running around here with very little or no rust on them all the time. Also i say as far as lasting the older trucks,cars had worse driving conditons to drive in now just about all roads now have some type of good surface on them the car now aren't sucking down dust all the time on dirt/gravel roads like they did years ago.

Back to the Fifties 59 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NAeStpydfrcj_U

Proverbs 3:5,6

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."Charles Kuralt

In memory of our first baby daughter, daddy and mommy love you.
Danica Grace 6/26/14
Hubscrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:02 AM   #72
Six862m6

Quote:
I've seen 1999 trucks with rusted cab corners,rockers,fenders,and even frames rusted out. The 67-72 bodies held up better than the square bodies in rusty states. 73-77s were notoriously rusty. 67-72s outlast those. A full size guzzles gas compared to Japanese trucks until you try to haul the same amount. Full-size US trucks suck gas empty and loads barely effect mileage,if at all. Japanese trucks get 1/2 decent mileage empty but that drops off severely when a real load is put on them,if it fits. Or,you need to make two trips,which obviously doubles fuel consumption. They are neat little workhorses for small jobs,but not to be compared with full-size US trucks. Newer vehicles do run some high miles,but repair costs run way higher than older stuff and thinds still break. Dumb little stuff goes up and it costs crazy labor to replace small dollar parts. I have a friend with a Durango that needed a heater core replaced. It's a $1,600 job because the dash and steering column have to be removed. Heck,just getting to the battery on many newer cars is a big deal. When '90s Ford Powerstroke head gaskets go the cab needs to be removed. And,head gaskets still go on new stuff just like old stuff. It's way easier to keep an old one going than anything newer. I dread the thought of trying to keep anything made in the last 20 years on the road when it's aged.
Oh I agree about the little jap trucks. That's why we had the full size '86 GMC longbed around; to haul full, large loads. Hard to fit a couple of bikes (motorcycles) in the bed of a little Toyota.... But they're great for everyday transportation when you think you might have to haul an engine or some parts, things of that nature that won't cram into a car but don't require a full size truck either. And lets face it, for a LOT of people, that's usually all they need IF they really need a truck at all. So many people today buy trucks not because they need them but because it makes them feel like bad a$$e$ and they cost a fortune compared to most cars so they're status icons to boot, especially ones like that new Dodge "Longhorn" and IMO that is where these "King Ranch" and "Longhorn" ultra deluxe models stem from; Yuppies that have no buisness with a truck to begin with but want to feel tough and have all the luxuries of a new Cadillac to boot. Anyway, I have no actual reason to own a truck which is why I traded off for fuel effecient cars half way through college. I have one now because its not a primary vehicle and of course its the '68 I always wanted.

HOLY CRAP!!! $1,600 to replace a HEATER CORE?!? I can't speak for all cars, I'm speaking for newer cars as a blanket statement that I believe them to be of better build quality and reliablity. I'm banking on cars like my Accord and others that are as I've said, 21 years old with now 265,000 miles on the clock and still have the factory heater core, water pump, etc, etc... HOPING that our cars are of this reliability and quality now as well (since I'm talking about American cars of the past 10-11 years, it still has to be proven). Because you are certainly right; when something breaks on a new car it is usually VERY expensive and VERY complicated to diagnose if it has to do with the drivetrain. Seems like more and more that if you're not actively involved in the automotive repair industry that the chances of you fixing a newer vehicle yourself is slim to none... I'm thankful that my old beater is still relatively simple and easy enough to work on. But then it is a '90.... And of course the truck is almost a joy to work on... doesn't hardly get much more simple it seems.

I've heard that about the Powerstrokes..... poor engineering in every aspect in my opinion. You can't engineer for shear stupidity and abuse, if you're constantly abusing it or if you let the damn thing overheat for some reason then you get what you deserve. But those things shouldn't need head gaskets ever in their serviceable lives and it shouldn't have been made to have to remove the cab to change one. But that's still a 90's vehicle and I still have shaky feelings towards many early to mid 90's American vehicles. They were improving no doubt, but still.