The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-07-2011, 06:02 PM   #1
Muney

Welding in a bed floor?

I have a quick question, I am having a little trouble locating a decent 8 ft. bed to replace my bed that I cut a hole in for the step notches to come through, I was thinking about buying 2 of the patch panels and welding them in, instead of searching for a whole new bed. My question is how much of a pain in the ass is it to weld them in? Do I need to worry about the bed being weak? Should I brace it underneath with anything?
Muney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 05:36 PM   #2
Muney

Re: Welding in a bed floor?

noone has welded in a bed floor panel??
Old 04-08-2011, 06:01 PM   #3
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

I thought the bedsides on the 73-87 only had a few places that it was welded, otherwise it is a bolt in ordeal.
When the going gets tough, switch to power tools.
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:43 PM   #4
VegasBruce

How much do you have cut out? If all the factory bracing is there, just burn it in like any other patch panel. If the bracing is cut out you need to put that back first.

73 Stepside, 74 Blazer, 75 1 Ton, 66 Barracuda and a 05 Electraglide DD

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...Rusti192-1.jpg
VegasBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:19 PM   #5
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

years ago i had a b ed in my back yard and the neighbors started whining about it so i took it apart and stored it in pieces.. the only welds were two tack welds in the bottom by the tailgate... I woul put the patch panel under the bed and weld from the top . if its in between the braces where y oure replacing it it wont make the bed weaker

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:17 PM   #6
Muney

I'm sorry I didn't explain myself good enough. I cut my bed from wheel well to wheel well in order for my rear suspension to be able to raise through the bed. I have since changed my mind and decided to do a stock looking raised bed floor, I don't have the piece I cut out, so I want to buy new patches but I'm worried that the bed won't be strong when I weld it in.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-08-2011, 10:24 PM   #7
mooseknuckles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muney View Post
I'm sorry I didn't explain myself good enough. I cut my bed from wheel well to wheel well in order for my rear suspension to be able to raise through the bed. I have since changed my mind and decided to do a stock looking raised bed floor, I don't have the piece I cut out, so I want to buy new patches but I'm worried that the bed won't be strong when I weld it in.
Posted via Mobile Device
I think it should be ok....you could allways do a wood bed floor?
mooseknuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:55 PM   #8
VegasBruce

Yeah, just weld it up like any other patch panel.

73 Stepside, 74 Blazer, 75 1 Ton, 66 Barracuda and a 05 Electraglide DD

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...Rusti192-1.jpg
VegasBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 08:49 AM   #9
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

A word to the wise, so listen up. Be EXTREMELY CAUTIOUS WHEN WELDING\TORCH CUTTING ANY METAL THAT IS GALVANIZED!!!! The coating is zink and our bodies use this heavy metal BUT, the yellow\blue smoke given off when burning or welding is DEADLY!! It causes all sorts of pulminary problems and is known for sure to cause cancer in humans. If you have to cut, use a sawsall or some other type of cutter. If you weld, grind the stuff off. It's clearly visible when it's gone. ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS wear a GOOD respirator whenever you work with any galvanized product. jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 08:53 PM   #10
DetroitIron

Quote:
Originally Posted by James McClure View Post
A word to the wise, so listen up. Be EXTREMELY CAUTIOUS WHEN WELDING\TORCH CUTTING ANY METAL THAT IS GALVANIZED!!!! The coating is zink and our bodies use this heavy metal BUT, the yellow\blue smoke given off when burning or welding is DEADLY!! It causes all sorts of pulminary problems and is known for sure to cause cancer in humans. If you have to cut, use a sawsall or some other type of cutter. If you weld, grind the stuff off. It's clearly visible when it's gone. ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS wear a GOOD respirator whenever you work with any galvanized product. jim
Thanks for the great reminder.
Posted via Mobile Device

1985 Chevy Scottsdale K20 350 with 700R4 running 3.42 gearing aka "The Honey Badger"
1993 Silverado C3500 Ext. Cab Dually 6.5 turbo diesel
DetroitIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:17 PM   #11
Muney

Galvanize also gives a killer headache, but if you drink milk it takes it away
Posted via Mobile Device