The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-09-2011, 02:46 AM   #1
Tuff Gong

Where is the best place to buy NOS?

Not that I have the money, but when I do, I definitely want to go NOS. What should I expect for fair prices? 4x's the cost of LMC parts. I know, I know, it totally depends on the part, but I'm just looking for a general rule of thumb, so I don't get burned. Last question. Has anybody heard of Stant. I believe they were an OE supplier. Are their parts legit?
Tuff Gong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 03:49 AM   #2
71gmcburb

Re: Where is the best place to buy NOS?

I've used stant thermostats. I got it at Napa so I don't think it a OE part

can't help with the NOS

1 - Don't sweat the small stuff

2 - Everything is small stuff
71gmcburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 06:11 AM   #3
special-K
Special Order

The best place to buy N.O.S. is anywhere you can find it. There is no set price on any of it. But,as a rule of thumb,I value it at worth at least double reproduction prices.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:10 AM   #4
mbgmike

Stant is in fact a OEM supplier as well as aftermarket. many companies supply the OEM's and sell the same part to wholesale companies. The OEM's were basically assemblers. quite a few parts are purchased form Tier 1,tier 2,tier 3 suppliers. I agree that they are worth at least twice the price if good shape.Not all NOS is in good shape. Some parts that are listed as NOS to me don't mean anything. like rubber,some plastic parts, glass,bed wood etc. I would just as soon use aftermarket.
Their is a company that started up that bought just about everything they call the parts ROE parts. It was started by some people that were involved in the auto industry. They are called Recovered Original Equipment not Nos. they have probably the largest inventory. I will see if I can post the site. they list only by part number and inventory. they sell Ford and GM. they have quite a few parts.

I agree that its worth at least twice the aftermarket if made. but as said it just depends on the quality of the repop.

If the part is not made by anyone well the price can go through the roof. A 409 chrome air cleaner assembly can be 1200 to 1500 dollars for NOS. Its crazy but thats how it is. Trucks were probably the last to be affected. You can still find some fair and reasonable prices. my advice is to buy what you can now. it will only go up ,unless the US economy tanks

there is also a company in Alabama that has a large inventory, i will see if I can find it also

Last edited by mbgmike; 04-09-2011 at 09:15 AM. Reason: added ps
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:34 AM   #5
Vintage Windmills
Vintage 4x4s

Anyone ever have luck at old small town chevy dealers?

67 GMC K1500 Custom- 305V6 SM420, PTO, Ram Assist, yellow (the outcast) (project period correct upgrades)
67 GMC C2500 351V6 TH400, AC, PS, PB (can't decide what to do with. Update, decided to keep and will restore )
86 CHV K30 502 th400, apple red NEW
71 CHV K20 350 SM465, ochre (saved work truck)
71 CHV K20 292 SM465, white, tach, PTO, (future project)
72 CHV K20 350 350th, medium blue (project stocker)
01 CHV K2500hd crew, indigo blue

^3 dont run and the others don't see winter either
'86 K30 Cummins "Fireside" thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=649649
'71 K20 "get driveable" thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=590642
'72 K20 Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=493477&page=6
Vintage Windmills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 10:09 AM   #6
stich626
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Windmills View Post
Anyone ever have luck at old small town chevy dealers?
most of that luck has already been passed.

n.o.s. some parts it be great, others,not so

rubber,fibers(rugs),some plastics,decals,parts with seals

you're just buy'n old unused junk 98% of the time..

funny thing is ,alot of g.m. body parts that you find now are rejects (parts that didn't fit on the line or in the field .
people will spend hours getting that n.o.s. fender to fit correctly and never complain about it, but an aftermarket one,,
to give you an idea, it took 4 sets of nos fenders to get a pair that fit right..
these was on a 81 t/a and this was when you walked into the dealer and got them.

good luck..
stich626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 10:28 AM   #7
special-K
Special Order

Once computers came around it became easy for large 67-72 truck parts guys,like Golden State Pickup Parts to search down parts and clean out inventories. There was a time when parts would still be sitting collecting dust in small town dealerships,but those days are gone. Some parts could still exist in GM inventory. A few years ago I tried to get a console part,just by chance. It was the trim for around the seatbelt slots and ashtray. Apart showed up as "trim plate" or "trim-console" or something like that and there was only one left in TX. I told my parts guy to order it not really knowing what it was. It turned out to be the ashtray. The point is,I had my parts guy here in Maryland search the part and he could find out how many were left and where...anywhere in the country.

And,I agree with Mike on his price comments. I said "at least double" and of course that's in new condition. And,if a part is not reproduced or a satisfactory reproduction isn't available the price can be whatever is asked. Basically it's "If you think this is too much go find another cheaper...and good luck to ya."

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 10:59 AM   #8
mbgmike

Yeah Special K your parts guy used the site I was talking about I am sure. Its called vintage parts. you access it through a gm or ford dealer network. They are the ones who bought up most of the factory parts. They sell to business' like Golden State, US and anyone else in the parts business. i will check their site later today.

Last edited by mbgmike; 04-09-2011 at 11:02 AM.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:59 AM   #9
Tuff Gong

Thanks gentlemen, very good information. I pretty much figured it was a supply and demand thing. It sounds like I need to start saving now, because the prices of nice NOS parts are only going to go up with time. If I breakdown and go to the darkside (aftermarket) which company offers the best product?
Old 04-09-2011, 11:10 AM   #10
mbgmike

Here is link
OOPs I gave away our secret parts place
http://www.vpartsinc.com/index.php

We have an account with them but you can purchase retail on the website. Or through any OEM dealer
Old 04-09-2011, 11:26 AM   #11
mbgmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Atkinson View Post
Thanks gentlemen, very good information. I pretty much figured it was a supply and demand thing. It sounds like I need to start saving now, because the prices of nice NOS parts are only going to go up with time. If I breakdown and go to the darkside (aftermarket) which company offers the best product?
Many companies sell the same products and you just have to purchase from the company you like. many people think so and so company is better quality and it CAN be depending on the MFG. Ask who makes the part. Some are made by only one company. Don't get it wrong not all aftermarket parts are bad. Many of them are better. Its easy to bash aftermarket parts but many of them are in fact OEM suppliers. Take ANZO lighting. They have been supplying the big 3 for years. Thats true with many companies but they don't always advertise it.
Any vendor on this board will treat you right. If not they will always try and make it right.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:41 PM   #12
Tuff Gong

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbgmike View Post
Many companies sell the same products and you just have to purchase from the company you like. many people think so and so company is better quality and it CAN be depending on the MFG. Ask who makes the part. Some are made by only one company. Don't get it wrong not all aftermarket parts are bad. Many of them are better. Its easy to bash aftermarket parts but many of them are in fact OEM suppliers. Take ANZO lighting. They have been supplying the big 3 for years. Thats true with many companies but they don't always advertise it.
Any vendor on this board will treat you right. If not they will always try and make it right.
Please don't take any of my comments in a bad light, that was not my intention. I am just trying to educate myself. To be honest with you, I am new to all this. I just got my truck like a month ago and I am far from a car guy. I know nothing mechanically! Before this site, I didn't even know what NOS was. When I learned about it, I thought it was really cool because the parts are the true correct parts for our trucks that I didn't even know existed. I am a sucker for stock anything. I fully respect all the vendors on this site and would not hesitate to purchase a needed part from them. Once again this site has taught me a great deal. Not just about our trucks, but also respect. Thank you.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:50 PM   #13
mbgmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Atkinson View Post
Please don't take any of my comments in a bad light, that was not my intention. I am just trying to educate myself. To be honest with you, I am new to all this. I just got my truck like a month ago and I am far from a car guy. I know nothing mechanically! Before this site, I didn't even know what NOS was. When I learned about it, I thought it was really cool because the parts are the true correct parts for our trucks that I didn't even know existed. I am a sucker for stock anything. I fully respect all the vendors on this site and would not hesitate to purchase a needed part from them. Once again this site has taught me a great deal. Not just about our trucks, but also respect. Thank you.
Not at all. I sometimes (most times?) come off wrong. I was just trying to make a general statement, not directed at you personally. Everything is cool
Old 04-10-2011, 12:51 AM   #14
leddzepp

NOS parts pop up on feebay all the time.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote