The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-09-2011, 08:28 PM   #1
stich626
Account Suspended

u joints

how do you remove the ones that have c clips on the top of the cup(outside)
never delt with this type..
try'd hitting the caps with a socket that fit cap. but didn't move but didn't hit it all that hard,

thanks
stich626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 08:36 PM   #2
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.
Re: u joints

Sometimes you have to beat pretty hard after you remove the retainer clips. After years of dust, grime, and rust they're almost glued to the shaft. Soak them with blaster or some other solvent. Diesel works good also if you have some handy.

If you have to beat on it too much it might be better to take it in to have them pressed off. Usually don't charge too much. I think it was $10 a joint about 6 years ago.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 08:41 PM   #3
Gene

Never beat them out, get a 1 1/16 in. socket and an 11/16 socket. Take the 1 1/16th socket and place it on the side of the cup that is being pushed out, then place the 11/16the socket on the pushing side and place this in a vice and squeeze away. I had to use a cheater pipe but mine came out pretty easy once it broke loose. Reverse this procedure for installing new ones, oh and make sure to index the u-joint where the grease zerk can be accessed.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:08 PM   #4
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Yeah, "beat" is not the correct term. Firm tapping or a vise is better.

Forgot to mention that a buddy rented a tool from local place where he bought the u joints. He said it was a c shaped tool. I assume it was similar to this one.

68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 10:11 PM   #5
hayhauler71

A balljoint press works great for ujoints
Old 04-10-2011, 11:15 AM   #6
Gene

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gmsee View Post
Yeah, "beat" is not the correct term. Firm tapping or a vise is better.

Forgot to mention that a buddy rented a tool from local place where he bought the u joints. He said it was a c shaped tool. I assume it was similar to this one.

Yeah, I literally used to "beat" mine out. But I ruined a few that way, buddy told me the vice method and it is so much easier that way. Just gotta make sure the needle bearings dont fall down during installation.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 04:40 PM   #7
Shyguy

Yep, beating u-joints can be a mess, I know. It is easy to drop a pin or so and then it keeps the cap from going far enough to put in clip.

I ruined one or two u-joints using a hammer. My son and brother always use the beat method without a problem.

I like the c-clamp style tool that is designed for this job better. One can be gotten at most auto parts stores as a loan-a-tool or Harbor Freight sells them for right at $50. I bought mine on sale for $40.
'92 GMC K-3500 Duallie, 454/4L80E.
Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 04:51 PM   #8
71gmcburb

I've used a big C-clamp with a set of vise-grips as a handle and it works well in place of a vise

1 - Don't sweat the small stuff

2 - Everything is small stuff
71gmcburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:46 PM   #9
brad_man_72
the boat guy

i have a press and beat them out because its faster. place bottom of shaft over a large socket and use a driver on the top cap, i have a piece or 3" plate welded to the top of my driver. i got really tired of hitting my hand with the BFH. this is what i do 5 days a week.
if you use a press its best to push down on the cross instead of the cup across from the cup youre pushing out. if the cup youre pushing on hangs in the yoke it will collapse the yoke. if you can get a ujoint in it wont last long.
i would avoid using precision and parts house brand ujoints at all cost, a good neapco or spicer joint isnt too hard to find.
66, stevens drag/ski 18' silouette, 350, 2.02 doublehump heads. comp extreme marine 278 cam, vette 7 fin valve covers, old polished edelbrock intake, velvetdrive, casale v-drive, adj cavitation plate.
28, model a rpu project,
brad_man_72 is offline   Reply With Quote