The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-10-2011, 10:32 AM   #1
bigolddog

Turbo 400 bolt in yoke ?

Ok here it is. Doing I6 3 speed to 454/400 swap and i'm dealing with the trans yoke. The problem is the bolt in yoke!! I've done some research and don't like what i've found. It seems that i can't just swap the bolt in with the slip in because the shaft isn't splined far enough in. Is this true on all bolted shafts or is it possible for the first time on this project i might get lucky and the slip yoke work? Haven't bought the slip in yet to try. Thought I'd ask the expert's first.
Any suggestions would be welcome. Thank you
bigolddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:36 AM   #2
cdowns

Re: Turbo 400 bolt in yoke ?

if you get a turbo400 tailshaft for a corvette they had slip yokes
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 04:52 PM   #3
bigolddog

Thanks cdowns . I have read some theards here talking about replaceing the tale shaft. I was just hopeing someone may have a simpler solution since i have the trans already installed . But it looks like i'm going to have to pull it and change the shaft. This is going to be my first time inside an auto wish me luck, i'm gonna need it.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:26 PM   #4
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

my caddy trans has a slip in yoke along with alot of others..not sure if you can use your shaft or not but I know the shaft has nothing to do with the housing I have pulled my housing to do speedo gear swaps and have pulled on the shaft to get the old one off ...I wanted to change mine to short and they said it was a trans shop deal...

Mikes Sandwich Fair Run OCT 8th 2011
Hottrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 06:36 PM   #5
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

You do have to pull the trans completely down to swap the shaft, but there is another option. You can use the bolt on yolk, & opt to build the drive shaft with a slipyolk in the middle(3/4 tons are set up this way). crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:20 PM   #6
bigolddog

Thanks guys. I spent the best part of the day looking around pick and pull for a slip yoke and no luck. Didn't even think abou the caddys ( ). Just wanted to see if it would go in far enough . But from what i've read i'd be wasting time and money both of witch i don't seem to have enough of anymore. I do still have the driveshaft out of the donor truck 79 3/4 ton gmc i bought for the motor and trans. Looks like i'm going to have a 1/2 ton short wheel base truck with a two piece drive shaft. I'll have to figure out someway to support the carrier bearing. Now that i think about it i saw a 72 long bed at the yard today that had the carrier support still in it . I hope its still there next weekend when i'll have time to go get it .
Old 04-11-2011, 12:37 AM   #7
bigolddog

New plan. Get a different trans, one with a slip yoke this time. No more worries, oh wait still going to need a longer drive shaft. Oh well at least it'll be a one piece.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:05 AM   #8
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

you can have a oine piece shaft with no carrier....it just has a slip yoke in it no big deal you only need a carrier if you have 3 U joints

Mikes Sandwich Fair Run OCT 8th 2011
Hottrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:37 PM   #9
bigolddog

Thanks Hottrurks that is exactly my goal. A one pieace drive shaft . The trouble i've ran into is the yoke bolts to the trans shaft solid. What i need is the slip in yoke for the one pieace shaft, but from what i've read the shaft for the bolt style isn't splinned far enough for the slip in style. I'm going to buy a slip in and try it just to see for myself.I had a man at the job site today telling me it would work even if it didn't slid in all the way,this dosen't sound right to me. If i'm missing something please let me know. I'm never to proud to ask or listen.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:45 PM   #10
Olden Days
Living In The Past

my 4x4 had a one piece drive shaft. The yoke bolted to tail shaft like yours but with slip yoke at the rear end. No need for carrier. A slip yoke is directly attached to u joint that is attached to rear pinion. your drive shaft will have a splined male end. It might seem to be in backwards with the slip yoke at the rear but many 4x4's came this way

Last edited by Olden Days; 04-11-2011 at 10:56 PM.
Olden Days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:06 PM   #11
bigolddog

Thanks Olden Days thats what i'm gonna do. I've got ever thing i need for this in the drive shaft out of the 3/4 ton gmc i bought for the motor and trans. Time to call the drive line shop. Back on track!!