The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-17-2011, 09:35 AM   #1
Raidersfan78

shorting a steering column/shaft

I have a 61 c-10 with a 78 chevy truck steering column in it along with power steering set up from the 78. I need some info/ pics if possible on how to shorten the column shaft, I would like to cut it down about 2 inches if possible to get the steering wheel out of my gut. thanks
Raidersfan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:42 AM   #2
jbgroby

Re: shorting a steering column/shaft

I''m about to do the same thing but for different reasons, I added P/S and the shaft NEEDS to be shorter, but you probaly wil not be able to adjust the steering wheel because you have "fixed" points under the dash that bolt up. Plus if you have an automatic you will have an issue with teh shift selector no longer lining up.

My solution is to lose about 40 pounds - er right.
jbgroby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 10:46 AM   #3
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

I agree with ^^^^ but if you must, POL has some universal joints that will allow re-attaching the column shafts together

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 11:48 AM   #4
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

I did the same thing in my 1965 when i did a full retrial on my 1965 3/4 ton when i added disc brakes power steering to the frame and power brakes.I had a friend of mine that works for CHP He told me to cut the shaft cus there where like spears when you have a front end crash or a head on crash its best to shorten the one you have and put that new peace that the1967--72 chevy trucks use But in the 1960--63 chevy trucks that have the parking brake under the dash like the 1964--68 I've teen told and shown that the turn single switch is better in the 1967--68 chevy trucks then the ones in the 1960 --66 trucks and the column will bolt right up You might have to do some re-plumbing electrical with the connectors but it can be redone
Attached Images

stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 11:50 PM   #5
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

A steering column of that vintage, should be of the collapsable type. I have heard of guys melting the nylon and others of hammering it until it will collapse. Once you collapse it to the desired length, you could drill say a 1/4" hole thru both pieces, and insert a bolt and tighten it. Although once bolted to the rag joint and to the dash/firewall, it wouldn't go anywhere.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:28 AM   #6
csa daddy

there are two polymer spots on the shaft like stated before you can heat them an run it out. Or you can smash it down with hammer also, but no need to redrill holes because unless you are stretching it you are actually making shaft shorter. So you don't have to worry about the shaft coming into.
csa daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 01:44 PM   #7
wildearp

My tilt column came out of a 78 Suburban. I believe the truck columns are about two inches longer than the car columns. I cut down the shell that the shifter is in so only about 3 inches remain and then filled the shifter hole. This gained me some gut room in the cab. I don't think a shorter column shaft is going to gain you much. I am also running a Camaro/Vega steering wheel.

I used a CPP u-joint with the correct column spline and then shortened the stock steering shaft that goes from the rag joint to the u-joint. I ground double D on it and fitted it up. The u-joint is visible at the spot on the fender well inside the engine compartment, so the shiny addition is visible.

Rewiring the turn signals takes only minutes. I had to add a flash can for the 4-way flashers to work.

Last edited by wildearp; 04-18-2011 at 01:45 PM.
wildearp is offline   Reply With Quote