The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-13-2010, 02:17 PM   #1
Deryl

Anybody Use a Truck Cover?

I'm considering getting a cover to cut down on how often I have to wash my 63. I sometimes go for a week or two without driving the truck and it seems like I have to wash it every time I get ready to go somewhere. It stays parked in a carport that's covered on three sides. I looked at the mid level ones LMC and Classic parts have. Any suggestions on a good cover for this purpose?
Old 06-13-2010, 03:24 PM   #2
wlevick

Re: Anybody Use a Truck Cover?

Well...it's funny you would ask. I have a '65 short bed/fleetside Chevrolet that I was looking for a cover for. I went to every Advanced Auto, Autozone, NAPA, Bumper to Bumper, Walmart, Sams Club, Target and Sears in my town (St. Petersburg) and could not find a cover for it! Most of them carry the same brand but did not have the one that fits a regular cab, short bed, full size truck. I believe the size I needed was a "T3". So, yesterday I ordered one from LMC. I will let you know what it looks like when I get it.
wlevick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 04:56 PM   #3
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

I bought one from California Car Cover about 10 years ago when I painted my truck black lacquer. I believe it is the "Dustop" version, designed for indoor use. All I can offer is if fits perfectly, doesn't scratch the finish, and still looks like new. Although it has probably spent as much time in the bag as it has on the truck. While the fit is very nice they aren't cheap. For outdoor use a different material selection would be preferred.

http://www.calcarcover.com/cover_find2.aspx

Here's what it looks like installed. I don't have any photos showing the back.

Old 06-13-2010, 06:08 PM   #4
Deryl

Thanks for the quick feedback guys. Markeb01 that California Cover is very nice, but not in my price range. Nice truck too! wlevick, let us know how you like the LMC cover. Which one did you order? I'm just looking for something to keep the dust off, but not scratch the paint. LMC's catalog has rubber grommet that you can put on the cover so you don't have to take the antenna off every time which sounds like a good idea to me.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:38 PM   #5
aerotruk63
Check The Champ, Demonstrator

My buddy gave me his 91 truck cover after it was stolen. Made of the 3M material. It has disintegrated now and allows a lot of dust, I believe from the cover itself to fall onto the surface of the truck. It will help repel water, but it's not waterproof. Have to clean the truck anyways but I imagine it cuts out a lot of stuff that would have fallen on it.

YouTube Channel with 20+ Original Chevrolet Truck Salesmen, Mechanics & Service Department Training Slideshows.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...otruk63&page=1
aerotruk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 02:28 PM   #6
likaroc13
Rollin' Old Skool

digging this up so i don't start a new thread...i moved to SC about a month ago, but my truck is still back at my dad's place in MS...gonna be bringing it over to SC in the near future...at my old house we had a garage to store it, however where i'm renting now doesn't...so, it will be outdoors in the elements...i would like to keep it covered until we buy a house with a shop/garage....so, i'm looking for opinions on various covers...gonna start browsing around myself, but i'd appreciate any additional info you guys might have
likaroc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 03:23 PM   #7
4wdSchlongStepper
Account Suspended

I can only tell you what NOT to do.
I buy all of my stuff at Amazon and Ebay (if they don't have it, I don't usually need it) but those 4 layer covers they have on Amazon are just glorified shop towels with an elastic bottom. They don't fit, they don't stay on, and they rip when you get a good wind.

Oh, and they're not 4 layer either.

Sorry, I wish I could help. I subscribed since I'm looking for one too.

Last edited by 4wdSchlongStepper; 04-18-2011 at 03:24 PM.
4wdSchlongStepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 03:30 PM   #8
Surfdaddy

I ordered a cover from Cal Car Cover for my Squareback at the swapmeet yesterday, 175 bucks, and I asked about the one for my truck. They wanted something like 250 for it. I'll get one for sure but I figured that right now the truck is mostly rust and I would ruin the cover. After some body work I'll get the cover. The top of line was half the weight and thickness (only one sheet) but was something like 325 bucks.
1966 Caprice 2dr
1970 VW Squareback
Surfdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 03:45 PM   #9
4wdSchlongStepper
Account Suspended

I just found this place and the last "Universal cover" is only 39 bucks, but you save 10 bux using "Save10" as a coupon code.

I'm looking at getting the $162.00 version in a couple of weeks if someone doesn't have a better option by then. I'll report back when I get it.

It's not the right year (I chose 1999) but the measurements should be close enough for a cover.

Last edited by 4wdSchlongStepper; 04-18-2011 at 03:46 PM.
4wdSchlongStepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 03:56 PM   #10
oem4me

What ever you do, don't cheap out and get a plasticky cover that won't breathe. If the cover holds moisture like a tarp, you'll ruin your paint FAST! If you are keeping your truck outside in the weather, it's better to have no cover at all, than a non-breather.
Sorry I don't have any specific info for you.

Last edited by oem4me; 04-18-2011 at 03:58 PM.
oem4me is offline   Reply With Quote