The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-11-2011, 10:03 PM   #1
250powerglide

22''X12'' and 14'' wide wheels .

im having a hard time finding 22'' wheels that are wider than 10'' wide. can you guys help ? i realy like the simple look of coys wheels so im looking for the "street rod" look . what have yall found !?
250powerglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:34 PM   #2
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Re: 22''X12'' and 14'' wide wheels .

Contact any of the "high end" wheel companies.
I'm sure they can make a set with any offset you want.
Look at Boyds, Billet Specialties, Raceline, Bonspeed, Intro, and Rushforth Wheels.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 01:51 AM   #3
bucketObolts

+1. Call up some major manufacturers they can make just about anything you need but trust me..it'll cost ya! My wheels were one-offs on my c30 cuz I did away with the duals and put super singles in the rear. 22's to boot. But seriously I coulda bought another truck for the price of those wheels. My buddy had 12.5" wheels made by intro a while back so I know they will do it.
bucketObolts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 01:52 PM   #4
68jewel
On the path to financial ruin!

I have 20x9.5 and 20x11 HRE's on my Chevelle. The are custom 3 piece I had ordered to my specific offset. Like someone else said, any 3 piece wheel company can make you whatever you want. But, again...beware! It's gonna cost you and cost you a pretty penny. I paid $7000 just for the wheels alone and another $1300 for the tires. But, I'm now getting a custom frame for my Chevelle and I'm narrowing the rear frame rails for a 22x12.5 on the rear. So, I got to send them back to HRE to get wider rim halves on them and that will cost me another $1400. Lastly, HRE are the most expensive 3 piece wheels out there. There are cheaper companies out there like Asanti, Iforged and DPE. A cast wheel company will only offer what they make and won't do anything custom. Intro and Budnik are 2 piece, but can still do custom offsets. Here's pics of my Chevelle just so you can see the HRE wheels.
Attached Images

Ooh Wee's Makeover...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=376280

Last edited by 68jewel; 04-12-2011 at 01:53 PM.
68jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 02:29 PM   #5
colin_havens

Pretty much what everyone else said goes, you will have to look to a billet wheel company to get what you want. I do know for a fact that any of them will make them in a 12 inch wide wheel, hell they can make them up to 15 inches wide. Any of the companies just take two barrels, split them, and weld them the width they need for your rims. They finish them out before they weld in the center to your backspace specs, and you would never know they used 2 hoops to build your ultra wide wheel. As of now, there are no sources for billet wheel companies to get anything wider than a 10 inch wide hoop, so they just make them. I looked hard at some Intro's a couple months ago, and it was $600 a wheel to widen them above 10 inches. Good luck with your search, and Im sure you will be happy with any of the companies that have been listed.
colin_havens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 02:37 PM   #6
NuttinSpecial

yeah ive called intro before and the guy told me they dont really keep anything in stock, you just give em the size and bolt pattern you want and they custom make it
NuttinSpecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 05:36 PM   #7
colin_havens

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuttinSpecial View Post
yeah ive called intro before and the guy told me they dont really keep anything in stock, you just give em the size and bolt pattern you want and they custom make it
Any of your billet wheel companies are like this. They are built to order, as there are too many variables to really just keep some in stock. Lug pattern, backspace, wheel width, stepped or smooth lip, finishes, ect... To have one of any of those companies offer that many options and have a few versions around of each option would be some expensive stock sitting there, which would require warehouse space, ect, driving the cost up even more on some already expensive wheels. Even Centerline, who has an entire selection of "overstock" wheels, make all of their wheels to order. Not sure how you overstock built to order wheels, but hey, if I get them a little cheaper

That all being said, if you look around at some companies, they will from time to time have wheels at a discount, where they made them for an order, and then there was a change or something happened, and they have them in stock ready to go, and usually at a discounted price. Finding a deal like that on wheels you actually like in the sizes and backspaceing you need is like finding a needle in a haystack. And I have never seen any that were 22x12.

Remember, everything about a custom billet wheel is exactly that, custom. It does take time to make them, but you will get exactly what you want, in the finish and look you want, and that will fit YOUR truck. Usually the wait is not too bad, like 5 weeks, although I have heard stories of a few companies taking a few months. Most of your bigger billet wheel companies have stepped up their turnaround on wheels as they realise customers will not wait months for wheels. I dont consider waiting 5 or 6 weeks for a custom set of wheels to get to me an unbearable amount of time, even though Im sure once I bite the bullet and buy some, it will seem like an etertinity.
colin_havens is offline   Reply With Quote