The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-24-2009, 10:01 AM   #1
mainermikeyd

Question Edelbrock carb question

1405 edelbrock carb on GM crate motor, with performer inatake where are you guys connecting your vaccum advance on the carb?? passenger side port or drivers side vaccum port?? Drivers side is full vaccum correct, as in it sucks all the time, yes no???
1986 c30 camper special 454, th400 (for sale)
1984 K10 Big Ten (project) needs motor
1984 C10 355, 700r4, (project) needs shortbox bed
mainermikeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 10:39 AM   #2
boatpuller

Re: Edelbrock carb question

i believe....now,i'm going off memory which is a little scary..mine's off the left passenger side.the right is the pcv valve...i think.
Old 05-24-2009, 01:24 PM   #3
78 Chevyrado
Account Suspended

I can't remember which does what off hand and I have a 1406, but My vaccum advance is connected on the drivers side small front port. The passenger side small front port is capped with a rubber cap.

The terms are Ported Vaccum and unported vaccum. One creates vaccum at idle, and the other creates vaccum with the throttle open.
78 Chevyrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 07:26 PM   #4
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

I run mine on ported (passenger side).

You can run either side. All you need to to is set initial timing for the side you want to use. I like using the full vacuum port at the track. Use ported for fuel milage and full for performance.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:43 AM   #5
boatpuller

i took a look......left or passenger side goes to the vacum advance.the right port is capped off.and the large center goes to pvc.as gchemist said you can run off either. but cap off the other.
Attached Images

Old 05-25-2009, 10:48 AM   #6
vtwinsport

i run it off the ported side (psgnr). makes daily driving much better.

76 Silverado, 2wd, long box, 350/th350, 3.42 posi, edelbrock performer 64cc heads, edelbrock 1405, 2101 intake, Hedman Headers, Comp Cam XE262
http://beerbreadbike.wordpress.com/
vtwinsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 10:53 AM   #7
Pyrotechnic

Depends what your distributor is set up for. Any HEI and most aftermarket distributors these days are set up for ported vacuum.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:06 AM   #8
mainermikeyd

Thanks for the help guys, it helps when you have a place like this to have open discussions about which is what, or what may work better driving on the street vs. at the track or off-roading!!! BTW off my vacuum advance there is a T which also runs to the tranny is this correct??
1986 c30 camper special 454, th400 (for sale)
1984 K10 Big Ten (project) needs motor
1984 C10 355, 700r4, (project) needs shortbox bed
mainermikeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 03:25 PM   #9
vtwinsport

no problem.
sounds like it could work but usually the vacuum for the tranny is connected to a outlet behind the carb, on the intake. Usually, there is an outlet with a couple stubs on it; one for the tranny, one for the vacuum on the brake diaphram for power brakes. I've seen numerous setups but you certainly want good, direct intake vacuum to those two. If it's working fine, leave it I say.
FWIW

76 Silverado, 2wd, long box, 350/th350, 3.42 posi, edelbrock performer 64cc heads, edelbrock 1405, 2101 intake, Hedman Headers, Comp Cam XE262
http://beerbreadbike.wordpress.com/
vtwinsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 09:50 PM   #10
smashingchuck
It'd be alot cooler if you did

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainermikeyd View Post
BTW off my vacuum advance there is a T which also runs to the tranny is this correct??
That will do it.

4Runner Build
smashingchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 07:37 AM   #11
87Lowrider
Navy Radioman Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpuller View Post
i took a look......left or passenger side goes to the vacum advance.the right port is capped off.and the large center goes to pvc.as gchemist said you can run off either. but cap off the other.
Dang boat, i could eat a good hot dnner off that motor!
87Lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:01 PM   #12
boatpuller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Lowrider View Post
Dang boat, i could eat a good hot dnner off that motor!
kenny,you'd have to cook it bud.i'm only good for toast and that's even iffy.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:49 PM   #13
asphaltburner

Yo!
Proper vacuum for distributor advance should be to a port that has no vacuum at idle, but applies vacuum with opening of the throttle.
You can tell if the port has vacuum by placing the tip of your finger over the port while the engine idles. Then open the throttle to check vacuum at higher rpms.
Applying vacuum to the distibutor at idle will advance your initial timing changing your advance curve,...and since there's three components to that curve (and it should be set sequentially for proper performance), it would be detrimental to perfomance timing.
Timing should be set initially with vacuum plugged. Run full throttle runs, advancing the timing in two degree increments until some predetonation occurs. Then attach vacuum. If an adjustable vacuum is used, mid-throttle runs cans be used to adjust for some slight predetonation to adjust the total engine advance to the best possible performance, with the least predetonation.
Timing is: initial timing (timing marks), centrifugal advance (weights and springs in the distributor), and vacuum advance (zero at idle, increasing with throttle), and should be set that way for a total of 45 to 55 degrees.
Hope that helps,...questions? Email me at wetminkey@hotmail.com, or PM asphaltburner,...I'm happy to help with this misunderstood aspect of engine tuning!
Todd.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:32 PM   #14
CEE1NG_RED

Quote:
Originally Posted by asphaltburner View Post
Yo!
Proper vacuum for distributor advance should be to a port that has no vacuum at idle, but applies vacuum with opening of the throttle.
You can tell if the port has vacuum by placing the tip of your finger over the port while the engine idles. Then open the throttle to check vacuum at higher rpms.
Applying vacuum to the distibutor at idle will advance your initial timing changing your advance curve,...and since there's three components to that curve (and it should be set sequentially for proper performance), it would be detrimental to perfomance timing.
Timing should be set initially with vacuum plugged. Run full throttle runs, advancing the timing in two degree increments until some predetonation occurs. Then attach vacuum. If an adjustable vacuum is used, mid-throttle runs cans be used to adjust for some slight predetonation to adjust the total engine advance to the best possible performance, with the least predetonation.
Timing is: initial timing (timing marks), centrifugal advance (weights and springs in the distributor), and vacuum advance (zero at idle, increasing with throttle), and should be set that way for a total of 45 to 55 degrees.
Hope that helps,...questions? Email me at wetminkey@hotmail.com, or PM asphaltburner,...I'm happy to help with this misunderstood aspect of engine tuning!
Todd.
Huh??
I will need to do this to my 1405 since the PO capped/plugged both sides causing my dipstick to come off. Now, from my understanding...the best place for daily driving is on the passenger side (where the PCV hose to be connected to the 1405, correct??? Now, will that require adjustment on the timing? If so, how can this be done? I haven't started the car since I bought it and with limited timing leaves me no time to fix this until this weekend, when I have some time.

Thanks in advance...
- 2003 Ford SVT Cobra "Terminator" 281 (Once in a blue moon driver/weekend driver)
CEE1NG_RED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 01:12 PM   #15
willstruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEE1NG_RED View Post
Huh??
I will need to do this to my 1405 since the PO capped/plugged both sides causing my dipstick to come off. Now, from my understanding...the best place for daily driving is on the passenger side (where the PCV hose to be connected to the 1405, correct??? Now, will that require adjustment on the timing? If so, how can this be done? I haven't started the car since I bought it and with limited timing leaves me no time to fix this until this weekend, when I have some time.

Thanks in advance...
Block the line going to the distributor to set the timing. Doesn't matter what port you normally have it hooked to, pull the hose off the carb and block the hose. It really only takes maybe 5 minutes to do the timing. You just need the gun, and a 9/16 wrench. 11 degrees BTC or so seems to be fine for a SBC, factory specs is 4.