The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-20-2011, 05:51 PM   #1
GmtGmt
Conversion Truck Addicted

What to do with a shortbed 4x4

i bought this parts truck but im plaing on rebuilding and make it driverbell again

i was planing on building a kinda shop truck but im not really sure i change my mind alot (reason i dont get tatoos)

do you guys have any cool ideas on what to do with a

1977 Shortbed Stepside 4x4 with a 400 smallblock (engine casting is 330817 and from what i have found its a 1970-80 400 smallblock)

im not really into Shortbeds or Stepsides but im plaing on just putting it back together to something cool but on a budget and drive the living dayligh out of it and sell

Quote:
Tonight mine pulled a few cars out of snowbanks, and is sitting in my driveway, icicles on the grille, wheels just white cakes of snow, buried up to the lug nuts in powder, straps and chains wrapped around the bumpers, the outline of the wipers clear in 4 inches of snow on the windshield... A tired warrior of the 1980s in a world of low profile tires, front wheel drive, and plastic bumpers, where people stay in their houses until snowplows move the offending substance from their paths, too helpless to travel without AAA and chains and salt, clearing their windows with longhandled brushes while gently stepping around in the snow trying to stay nice and dry.
GmtGmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 05:57 PM   #2
lilpoindexter

Re: What to do with a shortbed 4x4

Just get it running with what ever combo you have lying around that would cost the least money, put a big ass antenna with a stars n' bars flag on it, then tear it up off road.
lilpoindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:01 PM   #3
GmtGmt

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpoindexter View Post
Just get it running with what ever combo you have lying around that would cost the least money, put a big ass antenna with a stars n' bars flag on it, then tear it up off road.
i like it

Quote:
Tonight mine pulled a few cars out of snowbanks, and is sitting in my driveway, icicles on the grille, wheels just white cakes of snow, buried up to the lug nuts in powder, straps and chains wrapped around the bumpers, the outline of the wipers clear in 4 inches of snow on the windshield... A tired warrior of the 1980s in a world of low profile tires, front wheel drive, and plastic bumpers, where people stay in their houses until snowplows move the offending substance from their paths, too helpless to travel without AAA and chains and salt, clearing their windows with longhandled brushes while gently stepping around in the snow trying to stay nice and dry.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:21 PM   #4
rocking chevy

Yea build it for off roading, something like the 2005 ultimate adventure k10 pickup.
rocking chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:26 PM   #5
GmtGmt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocking chevy View Post
Yea build it for off roading, something like the 2005 ultimate adventure k10 pickup.
it was that Yellow one right?

i remember watching it on discovery channel

thats also a good one

Quote:
Old 04-20-2011, 07:22 PM   #6
jrcaprai

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmtGmt View Post
it was that Yellow one right?

i remember watching it on discovery channel

thats also a good one
Is it this One ??????

http://4wheeloffroad.automotive.com/...-hood-bed.html
jrcaprai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:09 PM   #7
justinburnett

Yeah, find the spot where the road stops, and tear the piss out of it.
Posted via Mobile Device
justinburnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:12 PM   #8
Stitch
Account Suspended

I would jack it to the moon...
Stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:42 PM   #9
f.monroe

Shop truck huh. If your shop needs a 4 wheel drive to represent it , then go that route. If a 2 wheel drive will work........try this .

1. swap the rear leaf spring hangers for a 2 wheel drive setup to lower the rear.
2. swap in an aftermarket straight front axle mounted on the original front 4by leafs but in a 5 lug pattern.
3. find some skinnys for the front .
4. find some 15x12's for the rear and run some M/T Sportsman 29x15.5x15's that hang out the side on some reversed wheels.
5. It has to be loud.
6. Some sort of vintage froward facing hood scoop. Fiberglass front clip would be awesome.
7. Scuff the original paint and add some logos in flat or satin paint.
8. Remove the stock grille. add small round fuel tank or radiator overflow .
9. No front bumper.
There you have a cheap Gasser style front up/rear down shop truck. Of course you would have to buy the parts used to pull off the cheap part but I would think it would be pretty easy. I have always wanted to put this plan in action but never had a 4 wheel drive frame to tinker with.
Frank

Last edited by f.monroe; 04-20-2011 at 11:44 PM.
f.monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 06:54 PM   #10
GmtGmt

what do you guys think

Name:  step_toon.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  23.6 KB

Quote:
Old 04-23-2011, 07:09 PM   #11
PRattenbury

Needs more lift and bigger tires.
PRattenbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:27 PM   #12
bmchevy1979

How do you like this one I have quite a few they are based off of the small pic in the Chevy sport section on 73-87.com I have everything from a blazer to a cc dually
Attached Images

81 GMC C3500 cab-chassis dually with utility bed 350sbc, Sm465, 14bolt with 4.10s nv4500 getting ready to go in
1979 Chevrolet K5 R.I.P. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=434096
1976 Chevrolet C10 R.I.P. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=434195

Last edited by bmchevy1979; 04-23-2011 at 07:32 PM.
bmchevy1979 is offline   Reply With Quote