The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-23-2011, 10:14 AM   #1
geunther

Future Purchase

I normally frequent the 73 to 87 area, but am new here to the 47 -59.

I've been wanting a 47 to 54 for about 30 years now and I think I am getting ready to pull the trigger if the seller and I can get together on a price. It is a 53 that I would be buying from the 3rd owner. It has been restored and is in pretty original shape (as far as my newness can tell).

I know there are those little differences between model years but I dont know what they are, side vents, firewall markings etc. If anyone is willing to critique the photo(s) to look for discrepancies I would appreciate it. I know they are not the best photos, but there was limited room where it was stored.

It still is 6 volt but has a 12 volt capable harness. Three speed. AM radio.
Attached Images

Old 04-23-2011, 11:48 AM   #2
sandnuriz

Re: Future Purchase

From what I can see it looks like a great truck in the making great platform or run it like it is! Just my 2 cents worth

It's your ride build it the way you want !!!!!!!!!!
sandnuriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:55 PM   #3
55dude

how much?
55dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:58 PM   #4
geunther

Well to be honest I was hoping for some advice from those with more experience. I am not sure exactly what to offer. He is wanting 18k but that is way too much. I was thinking about 14k but in this market I just dont know. he does have an appraisal suggesting the 18 but the market is much different than when he got that.

I do like that it is a solid starting point. I am not much of a body man and do not have the skill set anywhere near what I've seen on here. I can weld, wire, build engines etc. just cant do body work. My plans would be to drive in summer, modify in winter. 4 link, ifs, v8 etc. One major project for each winter.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:30 PM   #5
chevytroy

1953 was the first year that factory installed turn singals were optional, yet, some states were mandatory, hood emblems were stainless steel. and new insturment panel included a 60 lb. oil pressure gauge. speedo sould be 90... 80 mph is 1951 an d older. door handles should be push button not turn down last year of that was 51. and last but not least bed wood should be 8 board, they did away with the 9 board early 51. and the motor should also still be a 216 and it does look like it in the pic... if this helps any man.

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/ca/full.aspx?Page=9

check out the link it will give you some id info

Last edited by chevytroy; 04-23-2011 at 09:34 PM.
chevytroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 09:45 PM   #6
jocko

if the rest of the truck looks like the shiny door - and the bed is PERFECT, and the interior is PERFECT, and the undercarriage is PERFECT... then offer the $14K if it's what you're looking for - but it's kinda hard to tell if the rest of the truck is as nice as some of what we see here. Off the top of my head, $18K seems a little steep - your offer seems a little more reasonable - BUT, if the whole truck really is nice - i.e. it's a full on resto, then might be worht the 18.

However, you mentioned a "starting point" - if you're gonna hotrod it, then you're wasting a lot of $$ to be buying a rest up front. Understand the concern and that you don't fancy yourself a body man - so if the body is the exact condition AND color you want, then maybe it's worth it - but I'd really recommend a lower $ starting point if you're gonna hotrod it. And there are others out there for much less than $18k. I believe you should be able to find a good body and decent paint for somewhere between $8K and $12K. My 2 cents, and that's not even worth a nickel. It IS a nice truck though - but if you drop a V8 in and suspension upgrades, etc - you're in the 30's and higher pretty quickly. Bottom line, ya gotta go with your gut. I bought a much nicer truck than I was looking for - wanted a beater to do from scratch - but did what we're talking about here - I liked the paint and condition of the body (i'm more a nut/bolt vice spray gun guy) and I felt the tradeoff was worth it... good luck! More pics would be awesome!
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:00 PM   #7
Dan Bowles
AD Addict

I'm with Jocko on this one...you can buy a runner for a few thousand bucks and still do what you want to it.

As for the wiring harness being 12V capable, yep, if it is a 6V it is 12V capable because it is a thicker wire. When you go to your V8, you'll probably want a new harness anyway because there isn't much there as far as circuits.

I'd leave a resto to someone who wants a resto. Go find something you like and put the V8 in it.

And my $0.02 isn't worth a nickle.
Dan Bowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:27 PM   #8
mr48chev

I have to agree with Jocko and Dan B that's a lot of money to spend on a truck even one that is that nice if you intend to make changes on it right off the bat. If you intended to keep it as is and drive it and show it as a restored truck for the next few years I'd think that somewhere between ten and 14 K would be a fair price to pay for one that you could just dust off and go with.

You have to add in how many things are you paying an extra premium for that you intend to change. If you don't like the color that is 3 to 5 thousand right there plus if you want to make changes to the interior that is another large sum these days. along with that the engine rebuild that is added into the price plus the trans, clutch and brakes that you might not use and will get pennies on the dollar for when you put them up for sale. That means you will be spending a lot of that money twice, once for the finished restoration of the truck and once more to change what is already finished and in perfect shape.

When I look for a truck to redo I make it a habit to look for the nicest original untouched body I can find plus a straight uncut frame. I don't pay extra for things that I don't intend to use and I don't like to follow behind someone else's work with what might be under paint or primer especially fresh primer.

But if you belong to the group that feels it is better to spend the money up front and buy something super nice to use as a base to make changes to head on Go for it.

Last edited by mr48chev; 04-23-2011 at 10:28 PM.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote