The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-21-2011, 07:12 AM   #1
MONTEZ

After market front fender wells???/

Can anyone speak for the quality, or lack of, for after market front fender wells? I have been everywhere trying to find a solid passnger side one and I may as well be looking for a unicorn. I hear that the one that brothers carries are supposedly the same gauge as the factory ones, but have been able to confirm this. I would call them and ask, but Im sure I ll be told whatever I want to hear to make the sale. So I'm asking you guys what your opinions are. Thanks in advance for any info.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:33 AM   #2
Brian76GMC

Re: After market front fender wells???/

Im curious about this too. I will be lookin for these at Carlisle next weekend.

My GMC's that I sold
Brian76GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:07 AM   #3
tucsonjwt

I don't know about new aftermarket ones, but you should be able to find used ones in the southwest all over. Have you looked locally for one? I see doghouse parts on CL all the time, and cheap too.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:22 AM   #4
MONTEZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonjwt View Post
I don't know about new aftermarket ones, but you should be able to find used ones in the southwest all over. Have you looked locally for one? I see doghouse parts on CL all the time, and cheap too.
I ve been to every yard I can find within a 1 hr radius. They all have rot under the battery tray. I bought the best one I saw that has some pin hole rust in it and figured if I cant find better I see about patching this one.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:00 AM   #5
PRattenbury

From what I hear, aftermarket fenders are all the same. They may have different stickers on them, but they all come from the same place. There's not a bunch of facilities out there with the tooling to punch out fenders for 73-87 Chevy trucks.
PRattenbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:09 AM   #6
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

I've run the A/M ones on a couple of trucks with no problems. I think Keystone can still get them. Seems like there should be one local or fairly close to you.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:10 AM   #7
twoodson

Montez I was born and raised in Nacogdoches (class of '92) give my good friend Jory a shout at Gound Chevrolet; he owns the Chicken House Chop Shop down there. He and I grew up together and he may can help you out as well. He is a member here on the board (JMUCK)mostly on the 67-72 trucks and blazers. Jonboy here in Dallas is who I usually deal with and he knows his stuff as well and has a lot of knowledge.

Last edited by twoodson; 04-21-2011 at 11:12 AM.
twoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:29 AM   #8
MONTEZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoodson View Post
Montez I was born and raised in Nacogdoches (class of '92) give my good friend Jory a shout at Gound Chevrolet; he owns the Chicken House Chop Shop down there. He and I grew up together and he may can help you out as well. He is a member here on the board (JMUCK)mostly on the 67-72 trucks and blazers. Jonboy here in Dallas is who I usually deal with and he knows his stuff as well and has a lot of knowledge.
I know Muck as well. He doesn't have any good ones and doesnt know how the aftermarkets would compare to stock. Hell I hale tempted to buy one an see because the factory ones are that sturdy to begin with. I tried to see if one on James' truck would be good because hes plans to lay frame soon, but I was told it was a little rotted as well.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:40 AM   #9
THE "10" SILVERADO

I've heard that the LMC ones are pretty good quality......but I've never tried them...as for pick n' pulls....the battery is a real problem...mine's eaten away and so are a lot out there...when I pull mine out I might try just repairing the hole in it (it's not to bad...might be repairable) other than to buy new ones....they seem a little pricey already and you don't even have the shipping price on them.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:58 AM   #10
Twisted78SS
Wide n'Low

I just picked up a pair that came from Keystone yesterday, I will compare them to the factory one's, take some pics and post what I find.
Twisted78SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:56 AM   #11
Twisted78SS
Wide n'Low

OK,

I got off my butt on Saturday while it was actually dry for a change and took several pictures of the original and the aftermarket inner fenders. These are from Keystone, but I am not 100% sure who the importer is.

There are more here http://www.flickr.com/photos/hikingd...th/5652441954/

All the angles, holes, and bracing appear to be the same. The difference I see is that the originals feel like they are thicker material, and that is somewhat evident if you look at the reinforcement tabs. The flex about the same amount even though the originals have undercoating on them. All in all, they seem to be comparable given how hard it is to find decent passenger side originals.
Twisted78SS is offline   Reply With Quote