The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-25-2011, 04:57 PM   #1
SouthernRodder

AD Steering Column to S10 Box?

Alright fellows. I know have seen this on here somewhere and tried doing some searches but thought I would just ask the experts. Working on s10 swap and I really have two questions with this is mind. I want to use the original column and mate it to the s10 steering box while also bring the actual steering wheel closer to the dash:

1. How is the best way to seperate the column/tube and the worm gear? Just whoop out the old 4" cutoff wheel and cut it off since I have to probably do that anyway?

2. Could someone reference me to the proper u-joint / shaft setup? I know I'll need to cut a flat on the original column, use a u-joint, some extra shaft, etc....

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
SouthernRodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:02 PM   #2
Rabunjeeper

Re: AD Steering Column to S10 Box?

Not the same project as yours but i jst put a s10 body on a k5 4wd fullsize frame and i used a steering shaft from a mid 80s jeep cherokee xj. It has a u joint on each end and will bolt to the gm steering box. The other end i had to make a bracket and weld it to my s10 column. It will work on extreme angles and it has a fairly long slip joint in the middle of it.

Last edited by Rabunjeeper; 04-25-2011 at 07:03 PM.
Rabunjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:11 PM   #3
Dan Bowles
AD Addict

Sawzall. 2 minutes. Flush with the bump at the box.

I shortened the outer shaft and milled 2 flats on the shaft. I cut the last inch or so from a stock S10 column where it slides into the collapsable shaft. It fit onto the flats I milled on it. We turned a bushing but you can get a bearing from Classic Parts I think. Used a spring and a collet to cancel out some of the vibration. We shopped around a junkyard barrel for the right length collapsable shaft, put it in place, and drilled the shaft to mount the bolt correctly.
Dan Bowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:06 AM   #4
MrDude_1

my sawzall with a new good Milwaukee blade was only 1/4 of the way through it in 2 mins.
4-1/2" cutoff wheel did the rest of it in under 15 seconds. I love cutoff wheels.

As for connecting it, I cant help with experience as I havent gotten that far yet. Im still split on if im going to use the original column or a newer one.
MrDude_1 is offline   Reply With Quote