The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-26-2011, 01:27 AM   #1
NW_Ryker

Need Some Suggestions on a New Exhaust System

Hey all,
Recently, I've been thinking: my blazer just isn't loud enough. It's just too quiet for my liking. At the moment, it's running stock manifolds straight out to true duals to some no-name mufflers and out the sides behind the wheels. It lacks the deep grumble that I love. I've been pricing out some headers and mufflers and they don't seem too bad price-wise. I was thinking of going with a couple flowmaster 40 series along with hooker competition headers. What I'm wondering is what the rest of the system should be like. At the moment all the piping runs straight back to the mufflers and curls around behind the tires. Would an X-pipe setup be the better way to go or true duals? Any suggestions on how I should set this up would be greatly appreciated. Or if you think I should take a look at some other headers/mufflers thats welcome too.
Thanks again.
NW_Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 01:48 AM   #2
wwotr

Re: Need Some Suggestions on a New Exhaust System

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW_Ryker View Post
Hey all,
Recently, I've been thinking: my blazer just isn't loud enough. It's just too quiet for my liking. At the moment, it's running stock manifolds straight out to true duals to some no-name mufflers and out the sides behind the wheels. It lacks the deep grumble that I love. I've been pricing out some headers and mufflers and they don't seem too bad price-wise. I was thinking of going with a couple flowmaster 40 series along with hooker competition headers. What I'm wondering is what the rest of the system should be like. At the moment all the piping runs straight back to the mufflers and curls around behind the tires. Would an X-pipe setup be the better way to go or true duals? Any suggestions on how I should set this up would be greatly appreciated. Or if you think I should take a look at some other headers/mufflers thats welcome too.
Thanks again.
I'm running Hooker Headers with Flowmaster 40 series and 2 1/2" Pipe, and exiting in Front of the Rear Wheel.
Its going in at the end of this week, to habe the Exhaust "Tucked Up" into the Frame and some "Doug's Electric Exhaust Cut-Outs" installed. If its not Loud enough for ya.....HIT THE SWITCH!
back in November of 2011.
I don't visit the site much anymore,
but please feel free,
to drop me a private message.
RIP...."RATIKLE"
wwotr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 02:00 AM   #3
NW_Ryker

Nice. Unfortunately, my pockets aren't deep enough at the moment for cutouts. Are you running true duals? Im stuck between turns down after the axle, angled turndowns tucked up next to the tire or straight out the back.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:10 AM   #4
wwotr

Quote:
Nice. Unfortunately, my pockets aren't deep enough at the moment for cutouts. Are you running true duals? Im stuck between turns down after the axle, angled turndowns tucked up next to the tire or straight out the back.
Actually with Pipes, Tips and using my Old Mufflers, I paid about $200.00 for my Setup (including the Manual Cutouts). That was 3 years ago.
The Electric Cut Outs cost me another $375.00 and its gonna be about $1000.00 to have everything done correctly (the 2nd time around).

As for "True Dual Exhaust" what is your definition?
but please feel free,
RIP...."RATIKLE"
Old 04-26-2011, 02:16 AM   #5
NW_Ryker

Two pipes not connected. One for each side of he engine. How does that system sound?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-26-2011, 02:20 AM   #6
wwotr

Quote:
Two pipes not connected. One for each side of he engine. How does that system sound?
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes Sir thats it.
If you go to the Link http://home.pon.net/wwotr/towing.htm

That is my "Mods" page for my 72 GMC.
Scroill down about 1/2 way and you'll see........
"Exhaust Pipe/Chrome Tip Install 8/12/09":

Click on the pictures for full size. It shows my Exhaust install.
but please feel free,
RIP...."RATIKLE"
Old 04-26-2011, 08:28 AM   #7
96blazr

Ryker, I'm running 2 1/2" true duals, no cross pipe, using Hedman Headers going through Hooker Aerochamber mufflers with the exit after the rear tire, turned down in the middle of the rear quarter before the bumper.
Best Headers I've ever bought and without doubt THE BEST Muffler I've ever used.
I ran stock manifolds with the Aerochambers and it sounded good, not too loud or deep, but good.
But....when I got the Hedman headers with the Aerochambers.......WHOA!!!
Now it's perfect, not obnoxious loud, but it has a REAL MEATY Low rumble. It sounds like I have a cam at ilde and when I step on the gas it sounds fantastic.
Here's the key; you say you're on a budget and that's cool. I would go and listen to some sounds of mufflers on web-sites and youtube. Also, Summit has Aerochambers for 70 bucks a piece. One thing I wouldn't do is to scrimp on the Headers. Get the Hedman Thermal coated headers. Yeah sure, might be a bit more, but you really, really want your headers to last. Mufflers you can replace easy.
I didn't want mine to dump before the rear tire, cause.....well, to me it looks cheap and rednecky, plus after awhile, it gets too loud. I also didn't want them all the way out the rear. Why? Just doesn't fit my vision of how I want my truck to sound and look.
One other thing you can do; Get a couple of pieces of 2 1/2 pipe, one turned down and one straight, and put them in different locations and step back and look at it. See what it'll look like on your truck before you spend your money.

Note to self: I have got to make a video this summer.

Remember, no matter where you go,
There you are.

Gary

Last edited by 96blazr; 04-26-2011 at 08:29 AM.
96blazr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:38 AM   #8
99-LS1-SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96blazr View Post
Ryker, I'm running 2 1/2" true duals, no cross pipe, using Hedman Headers going through Hooker Aerochamber mufflers with the exit after the rear tire, turned down in the middle of the rear quarter before the bumper.
Best Headers I've ever bought and without doubt THE BEST Muffler I've ever used.
I ran stock manifolds with the Aerochambers and it sounded good, not too loud or deep, but good.
But....when I got the Hedman headers with the Aerochambers.......WHOA!!!
Now it's perfect, not obnoxious loud, but it has a REAL MEATY Low rumble. It sounds like I have a cam at ilde and when I step on the gas it sounds fantastic.
Here's the key; you say you're on a budget and that's cool. I would go and listen to some sounds of mufflers on web-sites and youtube. Also, Summit has Aerochambers for 70 bucks a piece. One thing I wouldn't do is to scrimp on the Headers. Get the Hedman Thermal coated headers. Yeah sure, might be a bit more, but you really, really want your headers to last. Mufflers you can replace easy.
I didn't want mine to dump before the rear tire, cause.....well, to me it looks cheap and rednecky, plus after awhile, it gets too loud. I also didn't want them all the way out the rear. Why? Just doesn't fit my vision of how I want my truck to sound and look.
One other thing you can do; Get a couple of pieces of 2 1/2 pipe, one turned down and one straight, and put them in different locations and step back and look at it. See what it'll look like on your truck before you spend your money.

Note to self: I have got to make a video this summer.
Not meaning to hijack the thread but could you post pictures of your exhaust? I'm thinking about something similar to what you described.
99-LS1-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:52 AM   #9
blazed870

Sorry to also hijack this thread, but WWOTR I LOVE your seat. Where did you get it from and how much?
blazed870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:10 AM   #10
96blazr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99-LS1-SS View Post
Not meaning to hijack the thread but could you post pictures of your exhaust? I'm thinking about something similar to what you described.
Picking up my truck today from getting my Bench seat Upholstered. I'll take some pics of what I can. I had it done in Stainless pipe with SS Aerochambers. I didn't want to revisit my exhaust system for a long time, so I went with SS all the way.
In the meantime, here's a recent pic from a show. You can see the headers behind the front tire and Ryker can see where I chose to dump it.
Attached Images

Remember, no matter where you go,
There you are.

Gary
96blazr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:15 AM   #11
gonnuts

I dumped mine in a similar spot to 96blazr, but went with mid-lenghth rear dump headers and cut holes in the crossmember. You can't see the exhaust at all except a little bit in the rear wheel wells.http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1303827171
Attached Images

gonnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:19 AM   #12
gonnuts

Here's some more, I could only upload 2 pictures, too big I guess.http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1303827475
Attached Images

gonnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:14 PM   #13
NW_Ryker

Im thinking of doing the same think as gonnuts just exiting right behind the rear tires. What kind of piping produces the best sound? Duals, x pipe, y pipe, or h pipe?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-26-2011, 12:25 PM   #14
wwotr

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazed870 View Post
Sorry to also hijack this thread, but WWOTR I LOVE your seat. Where did you get it from and how much?
I got the complete set at "Discount Vans & Trucks in the LA Area (through the Internet).
Their site is at: http://www.discountvantruck.com/

The Center Console has storage at the very bottom and the top of the Center Console folds back for a 3rd seat.
You can order from 20 different styles of Bucket Seats, and then Taylor then to YOUR tastes. It comes with the seats and all the Mounting Hardware, to bolt the Seat Fram to the exacvt OEM Holes in your Floorboards. When all was said and sdone, with Shipping, The Seats and Subframe, it was about $1300.00 (had mine done in Leather).They make them as you order them, so it took about 8 weeks from ordering to arriving and packed VERY WELL!
but please feel free,
RIP...."RATIKLE"