The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-28-2011, 07:46 AM   #1
Jessechop

That sinking feeling...

Last night I got my new upper alternator bracket in so I went out to take the 10 minutes to change it. Well the upper waterpump bolt is broke off in the block. PO filled the hole with black silicone and jammed the bolt in there. I am surprised it held. So I pull the pump, yea it is about 1/8-3/16" into the block, FML.

Was hoping it would be close enough I could of welded a nut on. Now it is left hand drill bit attempt. Which I am sure will turn into EZout attempt which never works. Which will break off and turn into a motor swap
Jessechop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:07 AM   #2
DANTIP

Re: That sinking feeling...

Ouch! I had a similar experience with a broken bolt in a cylinder head. The small portion sticking out ended up being a broken off easy-out. I was very lucky to be able to weld a nut onto the easy-out and it backed out with the broken bolt on the end. I think the heat from the weld helped free the bolt/easy-out.

Who knows, you may get it with an easy-out or you may even get lucky if the easy out breaks and gives you something to weld a nut to.

Let us know!!
DANTIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:18 AM   #3
70cst

Bummer...not the kind of surprises one wants to find...

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:19 AM   #4
stich626
Account Suspended

get a small brake line or fuel line that is as big as you can get down to the broken bolt..
cut it so it's just long enough to go past the block face..
now get your welder.. pull the trigger a little so the wire is 2" long, get a piece of romex wire insulation (your pick the black inner wire or white) put insulation over your welder wire..
now with the tube in the hole and the insulation keeping you from hitting the block or tube.. weld the tube to the bolt, and fill it.. then weld on your nut..
the tube will keep the weld from the block.. and will also heat the bolt enough that a few sprays of pb blaster will wick in..
now take the bolt out..
and then

Last edited by stich626; 04-28-2011 at 11:20 AM.
stich626 is offline   Reply With Quote