The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-01-2011, 11:33 PM   #1
4milbanshee

how do you stay motivated?

i have a 68 gmc swb currently in progress, but latly not really feelen like worken on it. just wondering how you guys stay motivated????
4milbanshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 04:12 AM   #2
MistaGavin

Re: how do you stay motivated?

Go get some adderal from a college kid haha. But seriously, work on one thing at a time. See results from your hard work and that will give you motivation to complete another small task. Don't tear everything apart at once or you might get demotivated. I read on this forum that if your worried about losing motivation don't try to tackle anything that you cannot put back together in a week. One small step at a time=good results.

Last edited by MistaGavin; 05-02-2011 at 04:16 AM.
MistaGavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 07:35 AM   #3
special-K
Special Order

I love these trucks!

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 07:46 AM   #4
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaGavin View Post
Go get some adderal from a college kid haha. But seriously, work on one thing at a time. See results from your hard work and that will give you motivation to complete another small task. Don't tear everything apart at once or you might get demotivated. I read on this forum that if your worried about losing motivation don't try to tackle anything that you cannot put back together in a week. One small step at a time=good results.
I agree 100% ^^^ if you can't drive it then sometimes the wind comes out of your sails....OR...buy every part you need to do the hole project..soometimes getting 1/2 way though will do the same thing...I learned this the hard way and you see alot of unfinished projects .......not I tackle one thing at a time....something like pull the bed paint everything new what ever then flip it back on...maybe replace a door....then the other....bigger stuff like engine work would be a good time to pull the clip ,engine,paint stuff,and put it back together.....next maybe buy all new front end parts...paint stuff then do it...this way the truck is only down for a week or less....

Mikes Sandwich Fair Run OCT 8th 2011
Hottrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:45 AM   #5
stich626
Account Suspended

I'm one to talk.. mine sat since 2004
mine is getting done because , I got rid of my daily driver while on med. leave from work..
as that payment was better served toward the house..
so NOW I have to have it done..
I'd set a date that it has to be a running, moving, drivable truck.. and stick to it..
it is easier if you never let it get to a point of "blown apart" and keep it a runner and pick at things one at a time..
because you can drive it. and see /fell/hear. the last improvement.. and that makes you want to go to the next. phase..

for a real jolt.. go to a car show.. or a track... that 'll get the juices going...

also remember . "perfect, gets in the way of DONE!!!"
good luck..
stich626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:52 AM   #6
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

Reading this board everday like a newspaper helps me.

Also... one step at a time... dont try and think of all the stuff at once.
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:01 AM   #7
hayhauler71

when I did mine I worked on it after the wife and kids went to bed 10.00 pm to 3.00 am then to work at 8.00am than there was no one telling me to do this or do that.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:13 AM   #8
stich626
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayhauler71 View Post
when I did mine I worked on it after the wife and kids went to bed 10.00 pm to 3.00 am then to work at 8.00am than there was no one telling me to do this or do that.
ah, to have a detached ,insulated garage....

I have garage, but it and house has no insulation, so the noise goes into the house..

ah to dream
stich626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:19 AM   #9
Ackattack

I went to the drag races (test and tune) and then a cruise in a few weeks ago. That kind of kicked me in the pants to get started again. Plus, we made an offer on a house, so we'll be moving in a few weeks, and I need my truck for the move.

I got the 69 up and running good this weekend. Put a few miles on it to test her out. Hopefully I'll get a little more time this week to install some more parts I have sitting around for it.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:05 AM   #10
Torrey72
Rollin in my K5 toaster

I like to diversify my projects. I can't stay focused on just one rig all the time. It is like eating steak. I like steak. I love steak. But I can't eat it every meal. Too much of a good thing, all the time, can really ruin it for me. So I like to sideline some projects for awhile and come back to them some time later. What I don't understand is when some people get disenchanted with a given project. They up and sell it? Too only get another project they in turn will loose interest in, some time later. For example, I own several cars and trucks. One of which is a 69 Camaro. I have owned this car for about 15 years. Whenever I drive it I get all kinds of positive attention. But as of maybe two years now I just leave it neglected in the shop. I will never sell it solely based on the comments I get when I drive it. People will approach me in parking lots and tell me about how they owned one once upon a time. And how they would love to get one, or wish they could get one again. This is why you should never get rid of what you love. Even when you are just not feeling it right now. Just keep it on the side and get yourself something you would like as well Then come back to your old love another day. Too many people are monogamist in regards to cars and trucks. I would encourage you to have an affair on your 68 gmc swb. Build yourself a harem of beautiful ladies and come back to your old flame when it feels new again.
Torrey72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:03 PM   #11
big_al_71

What kept me motivated was looking at completed trucks picts on the internet and the desire to drive my truck.

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:04 PM   #12
super72swb

That's why I'm on this forum right now. The thought of the truck in the drive way and not sitting in jack stands down to bare frame. It started with a used original uncut wire harness from a board member to fix some electrical problems. Well can't put new harness on dirty frame it needs painted and yes need new cab bushing/core support also well off comes cab and core support. Look I found the oil leak PO put wrong front oil pan/timing cover seal on and its sticking half way out. Yes motor needs all new seals and painted, intake needs polished, wires look old out with the motor/tranny. Wish I would of have done it differently but it seems the only way to do it right was to tear it down and rebuilt with new hardware and paint stuff that was worn/old looking. Very over whelming and hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel. With one day at a time another step scratched of the list it will be worth every hour and dollar spent towards the day cruising down the road and you get that "nice truck" gesture or conversation that starts at the parts store. Stay focused good luck and keep scratching.
super72swb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:15 PM   #13
lil hoodlum

My truck is my daily driver! Even then, I still don't feel like working on it sometimes.

I could certaintly understand how some people lose the motivation when their truck is blown apart in a thousand pieces and you want all new paint and hardware. Then you can't remember the last time you even drove the thing.

How do you eat an elephant?

One

Bite

at

a

time.

I'm not bashing the people who have blown everything apart and hope to get it running driving again. That is what I would love to do when I get a house with a garage. I would love to take one of these old trucks completely apart and do a full on restoration!!!

Anyways, right now I am redoing my interior. My butt has been dragging lately as well. I recently bought new carpet and am having another bench seat reupholstered now. I am pushing my self to getting every thing painted in the cab and hopefully completed within two/ three weeks when my seat will be finished. Sure I'm tired now but it will be so nice to finally drive in an old truck with a "newer" interior.

Good luck! Sometimes we all just need a little push!!

Keith
lil hoodlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:46 PM   #14
AusTx68

Half way thru the build my truck sat in the garage stripped down to the bare frame. I hadn't touched in 2 months. Then my wife tells me, "You'll never put it back together. You start things and don't finish them". NO YOU DIDN'T!! Saying such a thing and not having a single example to support the statement! That pissed me off! I'll show her..BAM!
Old 05-02-2011, 11:04 PM   #15
americanmusc1e

if you have it all apart it really helps to have a goal.....

a couple of years ago my Dad had his 1980 Jeep CJ5 torn down all the way to the frame and he got a wild idea that he wanted to take it to his high-school reunion (which was only a couple weeks away).... we didn't quite make it... but it got back together fast....

I got my yamaha banshee from just a frame, a motor and a pile of parts to a complete running bike in two nights and one morning because I wanted to go racing with it.......

as for my 70... I just try to work on it one piece at a time.... I have a short attention span.....

sometimes you just get burned out and sometimes it helps to go work on something else for a while and come back to it......

or it helps to constantly look at stuff you can't afford for your truck and dream..... if you can't dream about what its going be be like when your done its really hard.....

Instagram: @americanmusc1e

OLD SKOOL-- 1970 C10. 454/Th400/3.07 posi Build Thread
FARM TRUCK----1949 Chevrolet 3800 Power Wagon Hauler Build Thread

1999 4wd OBS Tahoe - daily.

DM me if you can't see photos i posted
americanmusc1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:50 PM   #16

This site, and weekly attainable goals.........

Last edited by 5150.4.67; 05-02-2011 at 11:51 PM.
5150.4.67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:15 AM   #17
ItsRandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4milbanshee View Post
i have a 68 gmc swb currently in progress, but latly not really feelen like worken on it. just wondering how you guys stay motivated????
I don't know what your situation is, however, I do SOMETHING on my truck EVERY day (almost), even if its only cleaning and/or painting one small bracket, every little thing gets you closer to driving it and smokin' the tires. I try to keep a pretty steady stream of parts coming to my house. Having that UPS or FedEx guy (or girl) leave a package on your step for you to find when you get home from work keeps the fire burning as long as you are ready to use the part when it comes. I am lucky. I live where it doesn't get cold (I started my project last December), I walk out my back door right into my garage where my project is at, so I can work 10 min or 10 hours, what ever I feel like and I have a great wife who is very supportive of my project (it's cheaper than therapy and it keeps me out of her hair). Above all...it's fun, have a blast! By the way, I have been working on my truck 4.5 months and have gotten to the point where it's time to start the body work, most everything else is done and it has become a frame off resto.
ItsRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:45 AM   #18
Mr.C

I made myself up a schedule. If I get behind no fishing, video games, ect. I haven't been fishin in 2 years! J/K. I did put a schedule together but built in alot of extra time. When I check something off I buy some parts to celebrate. You dont need to buy anything major its just nice to have the parts show up at your door. Xmas year round!
Old 05-03-2011, 12:47 AM   #19
1IR872

Join the Army and deploy every other year. That makes me want to do nothing but put new stuff on my truck the whole time I'm home, LOL! Can't really drive it in the winter in CO so I do alot during the winter and just make sure she is drivable by summer. Doesn't matter if it's done or not, just drivable, lol!
Old 05-03-2011, 12:50 AM   #20
DaBigKahuna

Don't ask me. I have a car project I started in '83... it might... MIGHT run this year.
DaBigKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote