The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-28-2011, 07:44 PM   #1
K10Dream69

Question Vent window. very frustrated need advice.

so I went to pick n pull and mange to find a GMC and the vent windows weren't pitted and in really great shape. so after pulling them out I ordered new weather stripping for them. after reading on all the threads with tips on how to go about doing this. I know I don't have to stress how time consuming this whole process is. I ordered a vent window rivet kit off ebay from Grumpy's truck parts with 'flaring' tool for $18. Kit might have been worth $1.80 if that.

So I finally get the new weather stripping on and rivetted on the other channel. After trying to use this amazing rivet kit I noticed that it just split it more then 'flared' it, I finally get to the point where Its just about snug the arm/bracket that attaches to the vent window breaks. I already have about 3-4 hours into this PITA and now this happens.

Is it possible to weld this back together or am I pretty much screwed? Any advice is appreciated.
Attached Images

K10Dream69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:07 PM   #2
gkesseru

Re: Vent window. very frustrated need advice.

Cant help your break, but as far as riveting: I used a stainless 4-40 panhead with a locknut on both of mine. This way I can adjust the tightness.
00 F150
68 Step (named El Scorcho by PO)
Build thread for the new El Scorcho http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=392932
gkesseru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:13 PM   #3
mbgmike

I know how you feel. We used to offer a rebuilding service for those but even with a high $$ hydraulic reviter and the parts cost and shipping, and time it takes it just was not a real money maker.
The revits are around $1.00 each( we sell them) and that tool is not worth much. If you use that tool you have to start the flare with a beveled punch to get it rolled over and then round it over using the tool you bought. We sell a better one but it costs too much for just one use. they just split or are lopsided if not careful. We won't even use that. You can do a better job with punches.
You can weld the tab back on. Last ones we had re-chromed were around $35.00 to $40.00 each. Might be less work to find another used one here, then to fix that one. SOme guys use a pop revit on the inside rather than mess with the pivot revit.
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:14 PM   #4
leddzepp

I used pop rivets, no fuss, no problems. That tool is a joke. IIRC MBGMike has the correct tool that will press and flatten the traditional style rivets.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:32 AM   #5
K10Dream69

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
I used pop rivets, no fuss, no problems. That tool is a joke. IIRC MBGMike has the correct tool that will press and flatten the traditional style rivets.
Thanks for all of your input. I used plain pop rivets on the channel instead of the tool and those worked great. On a positve note I managed to get that piece welded back together. So I get another chance at a fresh start at it.

Does the vent window still swivel easily with using pop rivets or is it really tight? That'd make it a whole lot easier if that's the case!
K10Dream69 is offline   Reply With Quote