The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-28-2011, 12:38 PM   #1
redneckfabricator

Question 1949 GMC is it worth it?

I don't really need to spend the money/get another project but I'm in love with this body style truck. the guy say's the cab is solid and theres some rust in the bed and it's been in the barn for fifteen years.
the lowest the guy will go is $1200 do you think this truck is worth it?

listing description: "I have a 1949 pick-up truck for sale. This would make a great project to restore. The truck has a staight 6 in it,the truck is missing a tail gate and generator"

thanks,
RedneckFabricator

redneckfabricator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 10:11 AM   #2
txrdnek

Re: 1949 GMC is it worth it?

Hard to say what a truck is worth, you already stated you don't need another project. The question should be is the truck worth it to you. From the pictures the truck looks pretty straight but remember the truck is over 60 years old and you said its been in a barn for only the last fifteen (what about the other 45 years) there may be underlying problems you don't see on the surface (I say this based on my truck, when I bought my truck there did not appear to be any bad rust spots, once I striped the four layers of faux paint off I found a great deal of rust), does it run, is it complete, how much time and money are you willing to put into the truck to make it what you want. Those are the questions you should be asking yourself to either talk yourself into or out of the truck. I wouldn't pay $1200 for it if I didn't need another project, but thats just me.

Hope this helps
txrdnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 12:05 PM   #3
LEEVON

It's all there. If it has a title $1200 no problem.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:21 PM   #4
Layedoutsonoma91

I was looking at that same one before I bought mine. Its been for sale a loooooong time. I would offer less. I wanted the chevy style anyway not GMC. I never went to look at it physically. I paid a lot more for the one I got tho. The one I got does not run either.
Layedoutsonoma91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 10:34 PM   #5
mr48chev

I'm with the other guys in that if you were hunting for a project it would most likely be worth something close to the 1200 but if it has been for sale for a long time as L91 says is has cash greenies in the hand are probably a good barganing tool. If you have a truck and car trailer show up with the cash and the truck and trailer ready to load it. That tells the guy you are dead nuts serious and your cash offer isn't nonsense to test the water but a real cash offer with real cash. And I'd probably start at 800 and go from there being prepared to negotiate a bit. And it probably doesn't hurt to let him know that you have been watching his adds on it for a while to let him know that you know he has been sitting on it for a while. He may be one of those who won't negotiate and so be it but I'd bet that he will at least hit you with a counter offer and meet you somewhere in the middle.

I just saw a similar GMC minus engine an title sell for 500 a couple of weeks ago. At least he had it for sale for 500 and it isn't where it was sitting two weeks ago. The title is what makes the one that is the subject of the thread worth a bit more.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 10:55 PM   #6
redneckfabricator

thanks for all the reply's and advice. I'll try to go look at it after I finish finals this next week.
redneckfabricator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 11:08 PM   #7
Dan Bowles
AD Addict

Good luck on finals. My son had his last week. Now for him to find a job for summer!!
Yes I'd buy that for that price.
Dan Bowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 11:44 PM   #8
MrDude_1

id only take it for that price if it has a title... but if it does, and you want a GMC, then yea...

but it IS a real project.... if you dont want a project, its not the thing to buy.
MrDude_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:22 AM   #9
madcanvis

Redneckfab....Did you pull the trigger on this one?
madcanvis is offline   Reply With Quote