The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-04-2011, 10:59 AM   #1
juscruzn

Is the 56-59 with upgraded drivetrain handle truck duties well enough? (newbie ?)

*** I mean... WOULD the 56-59 with upgraded drivetrain handle truck duties well enough? (newbie ?) ****

Hi,

I really want to get a 56-59 to use as a truck I will need to tow my 3500# boat and make Lowe/Home Depot runs with it.

Is this doable with a stout small block/drive train and disc brakes? In other words, is the stock frame/suspension up to it? I'm thinking putting supplemental airbags with the leafs on the rear would help a lot.

Also would putting a welded in IFS, like a Mustang II type, take away from the truckness too much?

I've searched a lot but, 99% are show and go builds...

TIA!
Matt

Last edited by juscruzn; 05-04-2011 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Typo :)
juscruzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:24 AM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Is the 56-59 with upgraded drivetrain handle truck duties well enough? (newbie ?)

The MII front end might be a little light for use in a truck that actually gets used as a truck. I'm a big MII style front end fan but this time I think it is the wrong one to use.

Somewhere on this board is a thread about putting a Crown Vic crossmember under one though. Outside of the two uprights that serve as motor mounts in the Car that might be an easier fit as the Taskforce trucks have a wider frame than the AD trucks or the later trucks with independent front ends under them. and you could set it in so that the truck rides up a bit higher than normal MII ride height. Tire choice would be pretty limited on the front though as they have a wide tread width.

Remember that when these trucks were new they were bought by farmers, contractors, Folks with camp trailers and boats and what not and hauled about everything that you could think of. They are real trucks and can do real truck stuff even though we tend to treat them more as toys now.
I
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 12:00 PM   #3
craig32

Re: Is the 56-59 with upgraded drivetrain handle truck duties well enough? (newbie ?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
Remember that when these trucks were new they were bought by farmers, contractors, Folks with camp trailers and boats and what not and hauled about everything that you could think of. They are real trucks and can do real truck stuff even though we tend to treat them more as toys now.
I
I heard once that the reason they were step sides was for hauling horses, so they wouldn't step on inside fender wells and break a leg. Anyone else ever hear that??
craig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:03 PM   #4
juscruzn

Quote:
The MII front end might be a little light for use in a truck that actually gets used as a truck. I'm a big MII style front end fan but this time I think it is the wrong one to use.

Somewhere on this board is a thread about putting a Crown Vic crossmember under one though. Outside of the two uprights that serve as motor mounts in the Car that might be an easier fit as the Taskforce trucks have a wider frame than the AD trucks or the later trucks with independent front ends under them. and you could set it in so that the truck rides up a bit higher than normal MII ride height. Tire choice would be pretty limited on the front though as they have a wide tread width.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=391548

Interesting..... Thanks!

How about the car front clips, i.e. G-body, Camaro? (as far as being more truck worthy)

Last edited by juscruzn; 05-04-2011 at 01:06 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:10 PM   #5
STEVE60

Smile Re: Is the 56-59 with upgraded drivetrain handle truck duties well enough? (newbie ?)

These truck are real trucks, back in the day, when my dad had mine he used it for every thing. We raised a few cows and need some hay, my cousin had some. Which was about 30 miles from our home, we loaded 50 square bales (about 60-70lbs ea.)on it and came home. That was with stock everything and a 283 engine and a short bed. Don't know about the MII, when I restore mine it will be used as a truck.
When you find one you like, make sure the frame is in good shape. No rust, cracks or bent. The frames on these trucks are as stout as the the frames thru 1987 trucks. The beds floors are just made out of wood.
Sorry to just keep going, but I think they make a good work truck. With the right upgrades, brakes, suspension and engine/trans ect.
My 2 cents, I just like them
Steve
STEVE60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:17 PM   #6
juscruzn

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVE60 View Post
These truck are real trucks, back in the day, when my dad had mine he used it for every thing. We raised a few cows and need some hay, my cousin had some. Which was about 30 miles from our home, we loaded 50 square bales (about 60-70lbs ea.)on it and came home. That was with stock everything and a 283 engine and a short bed. Don't know about the MII, when I restore mine it will be used as a truck.
When you find one you like, make sure the frame is in good shape. No rust, cracks or bent. The frames on these trucks are as stout as the the frames thru 1987 trucks. The beds floors are just made out of wood.
Sorry to just keep going, but I think they make a good work truck. With the right upgrades, brakes, suspension and engine/trans ect.
My 2 cents, I just like them
Steve
Thanks Steve!

This is the type of reply I was hoping for! Some first hand accounts!
Old 05-04-2011, 01:38 PM   #7
OrrieG

I have used and abused my truck as a 235/4 speed 2wd and current 4wd configuration using the stock 1/2 ton frame and shocks. I ran air shocks to supplement the springs when loaded. Most I ever carried was the bed full of busted up concrete side walk. For 20 years it had a 600# camper on the back during the summer and hunting season.

If you are going to use it do not box the frame or weld up the cross members. These trucks were designed to flex and twist across irrigation ditches, fields and up in the woods. If they cannot move the frames will crack next to the welds. I intend to use mine when I get it back on the road and you will notice in my build thread everything is attacked to the frame with G8 bolts, no welds.

As far as the front end decide what you want to use, look at the gross weight of the donar vehicle and if it is greater than the truck you are good. I kept my stock springs and shackles, I figure if GM spent millions engineering it no need to mess with it.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:47 PM   #8
FrankieD

Quote:
Originally Posted by juscruzn View Post
*** I mean... WOULD the 56-59 with upgraded drivetrain handle truck duties well enough? (newbie ?) ****

Hi,

I really want to get a 56-59 to use as a truck I will need to tow my 3500# boat and make Lowe/Home Depot runs with it.

Is this doable with a stout small block/drive train and disc brakes? In other words, is the stock frame/suspension up to it? I'm thinking putting supplemental airbags with the leafs on the rear would help a lot.

Also would putting a welded in IFS, like a Mustang II type, take away from the truckness too much?

I've searched a lot but, 99% are show and go builds...

TIA!
Matt
If you still want to use it as a truck you can put a 71 -87 front member under it to get the disk brakes and 5 lug wheels, from what I understand it is a direct bolt in. The 73 -87 use rubber bushings in the A-Arms 71-72 use steel. I am doing that with my 70 and taking the rear backing plates and axle’s from a 72 so I can use 5 lug wheels.
http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
FrankieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:47 PM   #9
kaycee

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieD View Post
If you still want to use it as a truck you can put a 71 -87 front member under it to get the disk brakes and 5 lug wheels, from what I understand it is a direct bolt in. The 73 -87 use rubber bushings in the A-Arms 71-72 use steel. I am doing that with my 70 and taking the rear backing plates and axle’s from a 72 so I can use 5 lug wheels.
I measured both my trucks and it is not a bolt in application.TF frames are 34" wide and the newer ones are 28" wide.
63 IMPALA 327
kaycee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:53 PM   #10
dicer

It will handle it just fine if its not up graded, they are real trucks, when not molested.
dicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:37 PM   #11
juscruzn

Quote:

Another Crown Vic install.... I'm kinda digging it!

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=460601
Old 05-05-2011, 12:22 PM   #12
FrankieD

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaycee View Post
I measured both my trucks and it is not a bolt in application.TF frames are 34" wide and the newer ones are 28" wide.
OOP"S another brain fart I was thinking of the early 60's I think I read that here some where.
http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
FrankieD is offline   Reply With Quote