The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-03-2011, 06:49 PM   #26
red71cheyenne
Back in the sticks

Re: cost of body

If you have the time and are not afraid of working, get your own welder and get started! Thats how I have gotten both of mine done. Didn't know anything about welding, but bought a cheap campbell hausfeld mig welder and figured it out. I use flux wire and its a pain, but it works. Did the same thing with paint. Bought a cheap gun from harbor freight and figured it out. My work isn't show room stuff, but its solid and isn't scary to look at. You will be so proud when you are done learning to do something new you'll scare yourself.

And like Jaros said, we would be happy to provide advice where needed. If you weren't so far away, I'd be happy to work for beer too!!
2011 K1500 Suburban
2014 K1500 Pickup
2008 Nissan Altima? The wifes' hoopty
red71cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:30 PM   #27
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: cost of body

You may want to check out my C-10 build thread. I was in the same boat about 2 years ago and fell into it face first. I've learned a lot along the way. The quote you had was high, but not as crazy as some here think. I recently talked to a guy that just had a 67 pick up redone locally. They had to buy a lot of replacement panels, many need a lot of work to fit correctly. There bill was around $15k. Also, a good quality paint job, if it is a color change inside and out will run 5-6k easy just for the paint job alone.

Now I have done all of the major body work and blocking. All thats left is sanding with finer grit and painting it, sealing the gaps in the cab corners, etc and paint. Myestimate from a shop I have been getting advice/help/tools/whatever from is about $2800. Another local shop quoted $3000. Figure at least $1000 for materials, the rest is labor at a minimum of $50/hr.

Good luck with the project.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote