The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-06-2011, 12:28 AM   #1
TimQ

Question EGR valve - PO removed and plugged vac line

I've been tinkering with my truck (86, c10, 4.3 v6 with 92k miles) for the last year I've been slowly working on one problem and then the next. Good news is, after some problems with stalls, cracked flex plate, and some other stuff, she's running as good as ever since I've owned her.

When recently tracking down a vacuum leak to an old and cracking hose, I noticed that the previous owner had disconnected the vac line from the EGR valve and plugged it (plugged the hose not the port on the EGR valve). It's been like this, I assume, for the 15 years I've owned it. When I hooked the line back up, the truck idled rough and stalled out (never left the driveway) so I just disconnected it again, plugged the line, and left it be.

I'd like to see if I could get it hooked back up properly for both the mileage and emissions benefit it is meant to give. I already have a new EGR valve and was going to try to install it this weekend. Any tips on what adjustments I might need to make once I hook up the new one? Does it sound like the existing one is faulty? Any thoughts are welcome.

Thanks,
TimQ
TimQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 06:32 AM   #2
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

Re: EGR valve - PO removed and plugged vac line

may wana pull it if you can ,make sure it works,seen them get fulla carbon
seen some 350s blocked off with a chunk of steel under the egr and the egr valve plug thing broken off
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 07:53 AM   #3
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

My suggestion is to leave the EGR off. They sell block off plates just for this reason. Having a functioning EGR is really not going to improve your gas mileage, just keeps some of the pollution stuff in place really.

If you're really that green about it all, probably need to replace the cat's and the smog pump while you're at it.
When the going gets tough, switch to power tools.
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:30 AM   #4
babyJay
Arrived on a Pale Horse

I agree with Randy. It's part of the whole emissions "system". If the rest of it isn't there, don't bother. In Indiana most guys yank that stuff off as soon as they buy a vehicle. We don't have inspections here though.
babyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 09:20 AM   #5
justinburnett

Personally I figure if I'm going to drive a big old gas guzzling pollution machine, I'm not going to worry about little stuff like that. Mine doesn't have an EGR, and there's no way in hell I'm going to bother to put one on. If i wanted to save the environment, I'd drive a Prius.
justinburnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 09:44 AM   #6
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

I agree witht he general consensus.. Ive pulled the EGR and the oxygen pump on all the trucks ive owned. Ive installed bolts in the holes where the tubes were in the exhaust manifolds and not worried about emmissions..
I would also say that driving a Pirus may mean less emmissions while the car is on the road, but when you consider the batteries etc, they are more toxic that the biggest gas pig on the road

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 02:06 PM   #7
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

http://www.katu.com/news/7561002.html

I remember reading a few articles about the prius vs hummer, as far as their total harm to the environment over their lifetime. The prius is very harmful to build, is what it boils down to.
When the going gets tough, switch to power tools.
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 03:22 PM   #8
TimQ

Well, thanks for all the input. Put the new valve on today. Must say, it was one of the easier things I've done. Who knows if it will do anything for mileage or emissions but there was an added side benefit...I no longer get the odd pinging when cruising along or slightly accelerating. Judging by all the carbon gunking up the old one, I'm guessing it must have been partially open at all times or something.

As a side note since someone brought it up, that Prius vs. Hummer study (done by a marketing firm for what its worth) has been debunked as crap science countless times. Here's just one commentary on it: http://www.slate.com/id/2186786/
TimQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 12:31 AM   #9
1LowToy

Having the EGR funtioning properly it reduces cylinder combustion temeratures and yes it can stop the pinging.

No I'm not and environmentalist, but I have exposed them as BS

Last edited by 1LowToy; 05-08-2011 at 12:32 AM.
1LowToy is offline   Reply With Quote