The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-09-2011, 12:14 AM   #1
noxided

8 to 5 lug help

OK, Ive got an 8 lug and want a five lug. does the 83 C front end just bolt on or do i have to modify the parts, also what parts? upper and lowers, spindles and hubs only?

What about the rear? I would like to coil over set up, i have leafs.
noxided is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:26 AM   #2
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: 8 to 5 lug help

Here's a thread from a week ago regarding the same thing. There was another thread at about the same time, but I didn't see it.

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=461537
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:28 AM   #3
66 lwb cs

I'm no expert but I have been doing alot of reading on it lately. As for the front and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the front ends up to an 87 will bolt in. It will be easiest if you can find a donor front crossmember with all parts still attached and it should swap right in for yours. If not I understand the process to change over all the parts needed if you want to go to a 1/2 ton set up to get the 5 lug is kinda involved and requires basically everything that would be attached to the afore mentioned donor crossmember. I think there are some aftermarket kits to convert the front drums to discs that may accomplish the 5 lug swap at the same time but not 100%. As for the rear you could find a donor vehicle and use the swing arms the mounting crossmember and the coils and all to accomplish getting rid of the leafs. One of the other more knowledgeable members (Captain Fab) told me the 67-72 rear ends will bolt right into such a swap but any other rear ends up to 87 require rewelding the mounting tabs that would normally go into the leafs into a different spot for the arms. This would allow you to get the 5 lug rear end at the same time as the swing arm setup. Otherwise there is the old plug and restud of your existing axles or the disc brake upgrade would accomplish this as well but is much more expensive. If money is no big deal then there are several companies that sell a lowered rear end set up complete with bolt in crossmember and swing arms and coils but you will have to find the afore mentioned rear end to bolt in or do some welding if you know how. I myself don't but want to learn very much. Hope this helps I only responded becuase it's late and you may have to wait til tommorow for a more knowledgeable member who I'm sure will correct any misinformation I may have accidentally given. Good luck I have an 8 lug too and will convert to 5 at some point but not right away.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:46 AM   #4
noxided

thanks for the help so far. The rear is no big deal, if i must ill just get an axle from an 80's model and swap it out, welding is no issue. i read on another post that you can use the spindle, hubs and caliper from 88-98 1500, is that so?

also how much wider is an 80's rear axle?
Old 05-09-2011, 01:04 AM   #5
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Yes I believe you should be able to use the '88-'98 components with your C20 upper and lower control arms. The only thing that I haven't verified, is whether the '88-'98 lower ball joints will fit the '63-'66 C20 lower control arms. They should, I just haven't verified it.

The '71-'87 rear differentials are 1-1/2" wider than the '60-early '70 C10 differentials. I don't remember off hand how they compare to the C20 differentials. The '63- early '70 C20 differentials are wider than the '63-early '70 C10 differentials, but I don't remember just how much....I have it written down at the shop. Does your truck have the HO52 or Dana 60 differential?

Quote:
Originally Posted by noxided View Post
thanks for the help so far. The rear is no big deal, if i must ill just get an axle from an 80's model and swap it out, welding is no issue. i read on another post that you can use the spindle, hubs and caliper from 88-98 1500, is that so?

also how much wider is an 80's rear axle?
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 01:09 AM   #6
noxided

no idea on the rear diff, i just got the truck today and havent looked.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:16 AM   #7
kieth

If u are going to drop the front end now might be the time to use some CPP (I think) 2.5" drop spindles that are designed to fit the 3/4 ton front end, and change the lug pattern at the same time. FYI Kieth
kieth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 10:52 AM   #8
noxided

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieth View Post
If u are going to drop the front end now might be the time to use some CPP (I think) 2.5" drop spindles that are designed to fit the 3/4 ton front end, and change the lug pattern at the same time. FYI Kieth
im going to bag the front