The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-05-2011, 04:36 PM   #1
blackbeaSSt

2002 burb bad o2 sensor

had the check engine light come on so i ran it to my mechanic and checked the codes. bad o2 sensor in bank 1 sensor 1. he said it could run anywhere around the $150 range for the sensor. does that seem about right?
blackbeaSSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:00 PM   #2
usmcchevy
Has more rust than truck...

Re: 2002 burb bad o2 sensor

Rockauto has the Original delphi's for $40 or others for as low as $23.....get the Delphi's

LSx Swap FAQ index
usmcchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 11:18 AM   #3
blackbeaSSt

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcchevy View Post
Rockauto has the Original delphi's for $40 or others for as low as $23.....get the Delphi's
thanks usm! sometimes i think since my mechanic is a one man show he has to up the price of things to make up for lost time on other cars
Old 05-09-2011, 09:06 AM   #4
blackbeaSSt

ok so i called around to some places and they said bank 1 sensor 1 is considered upstream. im looking at all these places online and there are like 10 different ones to choose from. some i take it are just the sensor (spark plug looking things). and some have what look to be a harness with it, and then some come with a harness looking thing and a bunch of extra goodies.

which one do i need? and any reason why i shouldn't go ahead and replace both sensors?

oh and the local places quoted around $89 or upstream sensor and around $109 for downstream
Old 05-09-2011, 11:12 AM   #5
usmcchevy

Yes sensor 1 is up stream. I would replace both of the up stream sensors and you want the "direct replacement" sensors. The ones that come with all the other stuff are universal sensors and expect you to cut and splice the new sensor in. I'm not a fan of Universal or parts store brand sensors, just too much trouble when you can get the original equipment Delphi's online for cheap.

LSx Swap FAQ index
Old 05-09-2011, 01:47 PM   #6
blackbeaSSt

Quote:
Yes sensor 1 is up stream. I would replace both of the up stream sensors and you want the "direct replacement" sensors. The ones that come with all the other stuff are universal sensors and expect you to cut and splice the new sensor in. I'm not a fan of Universal or parts store brand sensors, just too much trouble when you can get the original equipment Delphi's online for cheap.
ok im in no way a mechanic so pardon my ignorance, but how many sensors are on these things? the guy that i called said there was just 1 up and 1 downstream
Old 05-09-2011, 05:03 PM   #7
usmcchevy

No problem. 4-one up stream(before cat) on each side of the engine and one down stream (after cat) on each side. The rear (after cat) are just there to make sure the cats are doing their job. The front (before cat) provide data to the computer so it can do its job.

LSx Swap FAQ index
Old 05-09-2011, 09:22 PM   #8
blackbeaSSt

Quote:
No problem. 4-one up stream(before cat) on each side of the engine and one down stream (after cat) on each side. The rear (after cat) are just there to make sure the cats are doing their job. The front (before cat) provide data to the computer so it can do its job.
ugh. yeah not that i know theres 4 i think i'll stick to replacing just the one for the time being

thanks usm
Old 05-10-2011, 09:12 AM   #9
blackbeaSSt

yeah i think im gonna have to break down and buy one locally. my wife took it out this morning and after getting gas it started sputtering something awful and the check engine light started blinking

so i called napa and they have a bosch in stock for $61.99. but they said they can sell it to the mechanic doing the work for $54. i thought cool that'll work. so i call up the shop near my work, who does a good job on cars, and they said that they charge $83.40 and hour for labor and the parts would run $120ish. i quickly chimed in saying that i called napa and the part would be $54. he said that they then have to cover the mark up which is nearly $70

funk that. i'd rather pay the kid across the street who is taking auto classes at the local junior college to do it then pay those thieves!

Last edited by blackbeaSSt; 05-10-2011 at 09:14 AM.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:09 PM   #10
blackbeaSSt

well, i sucked it up and ventured out to do it myself. got the part at lunch and the socket after work. well come to find out that i bought the USA version of the sensor when in fact i needed the canada one (go figure right!). so my luck napa closed at 6 so i ran to oreilly and picked up one for $54. with my limited knowledge of cars i must say that this was very simple.....after i found the wd40 to loosen it up

so i spent roughly $65 when the local mechanics wanted parts and labor were a minimum of $200. sheesh! im gonna teach my 2 daughters who to work on cars so they don't get screwed when they are older!

Last edited by blackbeaSSt; 05-10-2011 at 08:10 PM.