The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-10-2011, 09:40 PM   #1
67c-10will

total meltdown

well doing a little more research ive came to the conclusion that you guys were right.i had a flat cam on the 454 i just purchased and the machine shop that i took it to said that my cam and lifters were the worst he has ever saw and that it jacked up my whole motor.my crank needed to be replaced,bearings,cam,lifters,rockers,valves,springs,6bent pushrods,etc etc.i scraped every cent i could for that motor for it to be garbage.and the guy i bought it said (it ran fine when i had it)so needless to say i am getting a full rebuild.the good news is while i was in there i went and got new heads,bigger cam,new crank,duall timing chain,flat top pistons.im down to $1600 from $4500 and then i get my truck out,i cant wait!!! i heard it fire up last week and it sounds great.the guys at cals machine shop are cool people he has gave me some sweet deals on parts and that has helped.
Attached Images

67c-10will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:23 AM   #2
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

Re: total meltdown

Itll be worth it.
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:47 AM   #3
pumpkin

Hope you went roller cam, or you could be doing this again.
pumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:50 AM   #4
70cst

You will soon be cruisin the highways and byways in style.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 10:00 AM   #5
no moa

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkin View Post
hope you went roller cam, or you could be doing this again.
+1

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=451950

1971 c10 step 250 3 OTT

1969 c30 TOW-MATER. 307 4 speed, holmes 440 body.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=451082

2006 CTS-V LS2 6spd.
no moa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:33 AM   #6
m6z

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkin View Post
Hope you went roller cam, or you could be doing this again.
Plenty of people are running flat tappets with no issues. Just run the propper zinc content oil and break it in properly and you shouldn't have any problems. I wouldn't use a comp cams flat tappet, but that's just my opinion. I would recomend one of the new lunati cams. Lots of good reviews over at chevelles.com on them.

Looking for a 67-72 short bed driver.....
m6z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:36 AM   #7
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Quote:
Originally Posted by m6z View Post
Plenty of people are running flat tappets with no issues. Just run the propper zinc content oil and break it in properly and you shouldn't have any problems. I wouldn't use a comp cams flat tappet, but that's just my opinion. I would recomend one of the new lunati cams. Lots of good reviews over at chevelles.com on them.
Unless the new engine/cam/lifters isn't broke in properly.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:54 PM   #8
RCbowtie69

Love that big block sound,sounds like it's going to be nice
Old 05-11-2011, 10:48 PM   #9
QKENUF4U

i really want to know how a flat cam destroyed all those parts ???
are you running a solid lifter or hydraulic lifter cam ? roller is def. nice w/ no break in etc. but not necessary... but as they said make sure its broken in correctly (15mins at 2,000rpm breaks in the cam just fine if its hydraulic lifter-prob. the same for solid lifter)
QKENUF4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 06:49 AM   #10
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

too much spring pressure and/or sitting for too long are the 2 major causes I see.

yes, it can take out a whole engine. the grindings get in the oil and go everywhere. it doesn't take long for a filter to plug up and then the oil goes bypass
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:41 AM   #11
pumpkin

Here in Canada to find the proper oil we are looking at $10 plus a quart. It doesn't take many oil changes to pay for the upgrade. The benifits are way worth it.
pumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:08 PM   #12
67c-10will

Quote:
Originally Posted by QKENUF4U View Post
i really want to know how a flat cam destroyed all those parts ???
are you running a solid lifter or hydraulic lifter cam ? roller is def. nice w/ no break in etc. but not necessary... but as they said make sure its broken in correctly (15mins at 2,000rpm breaks in the cam just fine if its hydraulic lifter-prob. the same for solid lifter)
i found out that the guy who built it originally put in anti pump up lifters but told me they were hydrolic lifters,so when i had the valves adjusted and they went the aditional 3/4 turn on the lash it was to much.then it destroyed the lifters and cam and bent 7 of 8 lifters.then the shavings pluged up oil jernals then went the crank and that was the end of it.the crazy thing is that all that happened in about 10 minutes of running in the driveway.oh and he didnt break the cam in at all.so the lesson that i learned is to completely research motor and dont always believe what people say.thanks for your guys input.
67c-10will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:28 PM   #13
wwotr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67c-10will View Post
well doing a little more research ive came to the conclusion that you guys were right.i had a flat cam on the 454 i just purchased and the machine shop that i took it to said that my cam and lifters were the worst he has ever saw and that it jacked up my whole motor.my crank needed to be replaced,bearings,cam,lifters,rockers,valves,springs,6bent pushrods,etc etc.i scraped every cent i could for that motor for it to be garbage.and the guy i bought it said (it ran fine when i had it)so needless to say i am getting a full rebuild.the good news is while i was in there i went and got new heads,bigger cam,new crank,duall timing chain,flat top pistons.im down to $1600 from $4500 and then i get my truck out,i cant wait!!! i heard it fire up last week and it sounds great.the guys at cals machine shop are cool people he has gave me some sweet deals on parts and that has helped.
"One Door Closes....and Another Opens".
Funny how these things work out.
back in November of 2011.
I don't visit the site much anymore,
but please feel free,
to drop me a private message.
RIP...."RATIKLE"
wwotr is offline   Reply With Quote