The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-12-2011, 09:06 AM   #1
k5hart

2 Wheel Drive Value

I've been going around and around with my current fleet of cars, two kids under age 2, and the safety of my back seat in blazer with car seats. I'm really considering letting the Blazer go but I have no idea what a good asking price is. Any ideas?

The info: 1972 factory 2 wheel drive blazer, factory air (not working but was), PS, PB, 350, 700r4 automatic. 2/4 drop. Brand new built 350. I have what I think is the original 350 and turbo 350 to go with it. 2/4 drop with springs. Has rust in the passenger side of the windshield frame, both rocker boxes has some rust, two small spot on the floor, some spots on the bottom of the fender and rocker. Mostly normal stuff that isn't bad yet. Interior is presentable but complete. Carpet and front seats are the worst problem. Has all the original panels including rears. I have the protecto plate, original order sheet and manuals. I have all the parts to put it back to completely stock. It's realiable and looks good enough that I put it in shows sometime.

I know this is a hard question without seeing and details but any ballpark ideas would be appreciated.

I'll get better pics when I get home.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:09 AM   #2
matthew79

Re: 2 Wheel Drive Value

My guess would be around 14-16k based on your description but the pic on my phone looks damn good!!
Posted via Mobile Device
matthew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:16 AM   #3
YBNORML

Your major hurdle will probably be the seats and carpet. Those are in your face items that most people will have trouble looking past. You may want to consider repairing those before attempting to sell. It might not increase value, but it will make it easier to get your asking price. People will try to use thier poor condition as a major reason to chew you down.

That being said, as an owner of a blazer in similar condition to yours. I know that I wouldn't take less than $18,000. You couldn't replace it for that. Just my opinion.
Posted via Mobile Device

68’ GMC shortbox
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=794201

72' 2WD Blazer
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=425385

67' LongBox C-10
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=691845

InstaGram ybnorml67
YBNORML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:01 AM   #4
99-LS1-SS

I'm new to the Blazer world and I'm continually surprised by the value of these trucks. If you can get as much as suggested, I would be surprised. I'm not saying you won't, I'm just saying it would surprise me. I hope you get top dollar for it.
99-LS1-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:39 AM   #5
k5hart

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew79 View Post
My guess would be around 14-16k based on your description but the pic on my phone looks damn good!!
Posted via Mobile Device
It's a 10 footer. It always looks better in pics. But it's not bad either. I'm surprised on the price. I was afraid some of the rust issue might limit the price.

Good point on the seat and carpet YBNORML.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:47 AM   #6
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

Replace the front seat covers and the carpet and ask $18-19K.
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:19 PM   #7
matthew79

This might help you as a reference in pricing your Blazer accordingly if you decide to sell. This particular 2wd has been available at his price for quite awhile now.

2wd Blazer on Craigslist
matthew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 09:02 AM   #8
4oldcars

For what it's worth - - nobody can build one for less than $15-20k. I'm building one. It's still on jack stands and I'm over $12k with a long way to go. If I hit the lottery, I'll finish it.

Driving:
1971 Jimmy w/68 Chev front clip, 1953 Bel Air 2 dr hdtp, 1996 Roadmaster wagon, 2000 Eldorado

The ones I let go:
1931 2 dr sedan, 1935 pick up, 1938 2 dr sedan, 1962 SS 454, 1963 409 wagon, 1970 short bed, 1972 short bed, 1972 sub, 1976 short bed, 1986 long bed, 03 short bed
4oldcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:18 PM   #9
trz1000

Honestly I think you'll be closer to $10K, maybe less, with those rust issues assuming they're not too bad. You're talking about a rig that needs some patch work and paint. And of course the interior. That 72 linked previously has been for sale for at least 6 months, I think closer to a year and it's very, very nice.

Hate to be blunt but it's irrelevant what you can build one for or how much you have in it. Unless you're Chip Foose (or someone of that stature) you're not going to sell a car that you built for a profit. It's possible but very, very rare.

I've bought and sold lots of old cars so I may not be an expert but I do have some insight. I do it because I love to wrench and my dream car list is very long. Can't store them all so I buy what I want when I want, do some work and make them my own, then sell them if/when I want something else.

I've sold probably 10 rides that I said I'll never sell and always seem to find something else. Stuff is always coming up for sale so don't fret if you end up selling it. Hell with $5 gas looking like it could actually happen, people will be getting rid of stuff no matter what the current mantra is. Most guys with old cars are normal working guys who have mortgages, kids, heating bills, and such so don't worry about never finding another one. If a time comes when old cars are going straight to the crusher (think cash for clunkers x 1000), then you'll want to hang onto stuff.

To give you some perspective, I paid $2500 for my 72 Jimmy. I fixed two spots in the floor, put in new rocker boxes as the originals were cut out long ago, and did some work on the windshield frame. The rest of the tub is very solid as the PO did all of the body work and painted it. It needs a re-shoot though. No carpet and the font seats were rough. Before getting painted, I will replace the windshield frame as I have one in the archives.

Before I got cracking on the truck I got a lot of heat from folks at gas stations and such. They couldn't believe that I "stole" if for $2500. Most said it was worth 3 times that. I always replied that they could have it right now for $4000. No one bit. No one bit at $3000. My point is it's easy to talk price but when it comes to throwing out some Benjamins, things change quick.

The truck ran when I bought it but I did a lot of other work, mostly to make sure it was reliable and such. I've got about $6000 in it total as it sits with a new interior, rust repair, very nice stereo, new carb, exhaust, body mounts, new wiring harness, soft top, wheels and tires, MSD distributor, box, and wires (overkill but I like the stuff) and scores of hours. Keep in mind, that number is after recouping costs by selling stock parts that I didn't re-use.

I think I could break even, maybe make a grand on it but I doubt it. Granted mine is a 4x4 and no where near stock so a 2wd should bring a bit more in similar shape provided you find the right buyer.

I get way more sideways looks when I tell people that I want to convert mine to 2wd than thumbs up. Most people that I come across can't understand why I would change it, which honestly kind of surprises me but it's what my experience has been.

Anyway, good luck with the sale if you go that route. If you post some pictures you'll be able to get a better estimate from the folks around here. Lots of knowledge to say the least.
trz1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 03:59 AM   #10
BOHICA

Quote:
Originally Posted by trz1000 View Post
Honestly I think you'll be closer to $10K, maybe less, with those rust issues assuming they're not too bad. You're talking about a rig that needs some patch work and paint. And of course the interior.
Concur. Especially when you take into account that visible rust is usually just the tip of the iceberg. Good luck.
BOHICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:52 AM   #11
k5hart

Lots of good opinions. Thanks everyone. I had in my mind start at 10k. Take 8k because of the rust. The engine and trans. alone probably has 6k worth of parts but I know that you usually never get your money out of an engine.

I really don't think there is any hidden rust. I've checked it out pretty good and most of the rust problems started showing up after I got it 11 years ago. Most are still beginning stage stuff. It stays in the garage and I try not to drive it in the rain anymore.

It's a great truck and mechanically fine. I have a great time with it just how it is. Still up in the air about selling it. I'm thinking about replacing my daily driver which has turned into another project these days.

Thanks again.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:19 PM   #12
BOHICA

Quote:
Originally Posted by k5hart View Post
I really don't think there is any hidden rust. I've checked it out pretty good and most of the rust problems started showing up after I got it 11 years ago. Most are still beginning stage stuff. It stays in the garage and I try not to drive it in the rain anymore.
If I were a buyer, I think this would make the biggest difference to me. If the paint is bubbling, then I would assume that the panel is rusting through from the back. However, if it's just surface rust from rock chips, etc., then I might be willing to pay a little more for it.
BOHICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 05:18 PM   #13
k5hart

Guys. I've had two people ask today if I'll sell the Blazer. Just want to let everyone know it's not for sale right now. I was only asking possible prices to explore my options. I'll post it in the for sale section and let everyone know if I do sell it. I'm just not at that point yet. Thanks for the interest though!