The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-11-2011, 07:17 PM   #26
Rich 5150 69

Re: Cooling system setup questions for you

It should look like this bad pic...all I had. click on pic to enlarge.
http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s...t=IMG_0645.jpg
`68 Dart 370/904/323 suregrip
Rich 5150 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:47 PM   #27
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich 5150 69 View Post
I have one in my dodge, never hear it...
Must have just been the specific brand. I bought it from Summit and they claimed it was a Nascar fan, that's about all I can remember.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:06 PM   #28
blackedoutharley
Account Suspended

I also concur... in fact taking the shroud off completely would probably be better than what you have now. Your effective cooling area is limited to what is within the diameter of the shroud.

Remove the shroud and install a 180* thermostat at a minimum. For best results also add a full size shroud.
blackedoutharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:20 PM   #29
198plus

I would try a couple things, first check your timing ........Not enough timing will also cause it to run hotter. Next check the vacuum advance make sure it's hooked up to manifold vacuum, so that it provides additional timing at idle this will make the motor run cooler at idle..... If that doesn't work, try a clutch fan.

Last edited by 198plus; 05-12-2011 at 10:36 PM.
198plus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 05:02 AM   #30
BillyDeluxe

Thumbs up Re: Cooling system setup questions for you

Thanks guys for all your answers. I'll get me an original full size shroud and a different hiflow pump driven fan. Hope this helps. I'll let you know...
BillyDeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 05:13 PM   #31
blackedoutharley
Account Suspended

Being that I am sure parts for these trucks are difficult (if not near impossible) to come by in Germany... start with the simple stuff. Don't go changing a lot of stuff before you have cured the problem.

Take that shroud and electric fan off and change to a 180* thermostat.. then see what improvement it makes.. once you do that and the temp drops to an acceptable level then install the proper shroud. This way you will be certain that the parts causing the problem have been detected and removed and the new shroud will only improve the condition more.

I have one of those fans on my truck using a short water pump and it works good.Yours is much closer to the radiator which is better. Don't spend money you don't have to.

Nothing worse than throwing parts at something only to have the same problem.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:46 PM   #32
blackedoutharley
Account Suspended

Looking at the pictures again do I see the bottom radiator mounting cups (where the lower tank sits into with the rubber cushions) ?
Old 05-13-2011, 11:00 PM   #33
Rich 5150 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackedoutharley View Post
Looking at the pictures again do I see the bottom radiator mounting cups (where the lower tank sits into with the rubber cushions) ?
Yes I noticed that that to after you mentioned it but also look at the top of the rad, he has a one inch gap at the top bracket, real short radiator maybe...?
Old 05-14-2011, 02:11 AM   #34
64GMCHorsepower
Justified!

mine was like that, I believe that location was for the original 6cyl radiator. I just moved mine to the upper crossmember when I upgraded mine.....

1964 GMC Fleetside Shortbed....350/700R4 tranny
64GMCHorsepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 12:47 PM   #35
BillyDeluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackedoutharley View Post
You are right. There are two sets of rad mounting cups. The radiator is original Harrison brand from a 65 C10 (bought in in the states).

What I do now is I'll get a bigger and better pump driven fan. Mine is a 15" as I removed it today. I'll search for a 17" or 19" HighFlow Fan and remove the electric fan. Furthermore I'll change the Thermostat to a 180F type. Than we'll see what happens.
Old 05-14-2011, 02:35 PM   #36
'65 chevy lover

This is a very interesting thread. I'm having cooling problems on my '65 as well. It has a 350 with turbo 350 trans. Rad doesn't have the trans cooler built in to it...has small oil cooler in front of rad plus, no fan shroud. Person that had it before me put an electric fan in back of the rad...in front of the fan. Have replaced the thermostat but didn't change anything. I'm thinking that it had a 6cyl in it before but, can't get in touch with that person to find out. The rad looks like it only has a couple rows in the core. When I was taking these pics, I noticed that the rad has a leak...had never noticed this before so, this is probably part of the problem but, not all of it. Ist pic is of the trans cooler, 2nd pic showing that the core doesn't completly fill the top and bottom caps( my thinking that it's designed for a 6 bang ), 3rd pic showing the electric fan and, that there is no shroud.
Attached Images

'65 chevy lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 03:30 PM   #37
astrochimp

Also the fan blade needs to be part way out of shroud, looks like yours is all the way in. Rule I always heard in blade 1/2 in & 1/2 out.
astrochimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 05:02 PM   #38
BillyDeluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by '65 chevy lover View Post
This is a very interesting thread. I'm having cooling problems on my '65 as well. It has a 350 with turbo 350 trans. Rad doesn't have the trans cooler built in to it...has small oil cooler in front of rad plus, no fan shroud. Person that had it before me put an electric fan in back of the rad...in front of the fan. Have replaced the thermostat but didn't change anything. I'm thinking that it had a 6cyl in it before but, can't get in touch with that person to find out. The rad looks like it only has a couple rows in the core. When I was taking these pics, I noticed that the rad has a leak...had never noticed this before so, this is probably part of the problem but, not all of it. Ist pic is of the trans cooler, 2nd pic showing that the core doesn't completly fill the top and bottom caps( my thinking that it's designed for a 6 bang ), 3rd pic showing the electric fan and, that there is no shroud.
The radiator looks like out of a 6cylinder. Mine is a original Harrison brand but has the upper water hose not in the middle but on the right side. ... LQQK at the pics from today

Old 05-14-2011, 06:15 PM   #39
tapeworm
fan of "Butters" Stotch

Quote:
Ditch the electric fan IMOA. Besides addressing the radiator issue, get a stock shroud, and get the fan closer to the radiator.

Last edited by tapeworm; 05-14-2011 at 06:15 PM.
tapeworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 07:27 PM   #40
blackedoutharley
Account Suspended

Okay now you made me go take pictures! LOL ...

This is the fan I am running and as you can tell it is with a short pump and no shroud...

View showing distance from fan to radiator...

This is also a Harrison radiator that I had re-cored to a 3 row core.. Notice the distance from core to edge of bottom tank.

Closer view... yes the bottom mount is bent where somebody over the years (not me!) had hooked a chain through the hole as a tow point. I am searching for a replacement part to fix this. Yes boys and girls that is a sway bar down there!

View from passenger side.. notice no gap between tank and upper mount.

General overview....

Boy this thing looks like crap when using a good camera! I wasn't going for the rat rod look but I guess several years of use followed by many more of neglect causes this.

The engine is .040" over with a fair amount of compression (at least it did when new) and I have always run a 180* thermostat... It will of course heat up from prolonged idling but regardless of the outside temp it always ran at 180* even in normal city traffic.

This is not an example of a correctly set up cooling system!

Mainly because of the lack of a shroud. I have the shroud plates that go on the sides of the radiator but they're are not installed. This truck is coming apart in the coming months for a freshening up of the engine, painting of the engine compartment and doing the body work. It will have the correct parts installed to complete the cooling system and the radiator is going to be serviced at the same time.

Last edited by blackedoutharley; 05-14-2011 at 07:30 PM. Reason: punctuation... I am anal about spelling!
Old 05-14-2011, 09:13 PM   #41
Rich 5150 69

Note my fan is directly in the flat 2 inch panel at the end of the shroud, with 350/350/373 gears and a three row core minimum for V8, sometimes when it is 105 out there comming home from work just bearly enough at 65 MPH.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:09 PM   #42
'65 chevy lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapeworm View Post
Ditch the electric fan IMOA. Besides addressing the radiator issue, get a stock shroud, and get the fan closer to the radiator.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. I think also that I'm gona just get another rad instead of trying to have this one repaired.
'65 chevy lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 01:26 AM   #43
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

That is a '60-'62 radiator. They bolt directly to the radiator support like that and have the inlet in the center of the upper tank.

Quote:
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 05:27 AM   #44
BillyDeluxe

guys,
this is what I pulled off my truck yesterday. Looks pretty good but is only 15" so I'll try to get a 17" or 19" instead. Hopefully this brings the airflow I need.