The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-15-2011, 12:19 AM   #1
dandansuperman

Sanderson Headers and 700R4 Transmission Questions!

My truck is a 1970 Chevrolet C10 SWB. I am swapping my transmission to a 700R4 and could use any tips I can get. I went ahead and pulled the engine out too so I could repaint the block and clean up the bay a little more. What I was wondering is if I can put my new Sanderson CC10 headers on before I install the transmission? Someone said they are so tight you can't get the transmission in with the headers on the block. I am also quite confused about all the steps it takes to covert over to the 700R4. I know I need to get a TV cable and then adjust it correctly. What I don't understand is the lock up wiring. Do I really need this? Also, do I need a brake circuit swith? If there is anyone on this forum that has a good link to a 700R4 Install in our trucks let me know. I would like to see how they mounted their crossmember etc. Also does anyone have any idea how much the drive line needs to be shortened? I have lots of questions so I hope someone has some answers.
dandansuperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:54 AM   #2
dave2953
Dave's not here, man

Re: Sanderson Headers and 700R4 Transmission Questions!

Here are some pictures of my 700r4 and crossmember. I got it from Early Classic and it actually lined up with existing holes in the frame. I haven't done any of the wiring yet. I did replace the TV cable and an aftermarket cooler, too. There is a gaggle of info on here about the swap though. I can't help you on the headers since I'm not running them, but I'm sure someone will chime in with that info.

dave2953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:58 AM   #3
sneezys72

Call your drive line shop to see how they want you to measure your driveshaft. That way you are using the numbers they want so there is no confusion. I am running headers on mine but they are short headers so I have plenty of room. Once I got my trans in, I bolted the crossmember to the trans then found out where the holes in the frame should be. I only needed to drill 3 holes, 1 lined up already.
sneezys72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 10:14 AM   #4
Katrina/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandansuperman View Post
My truck is a 1970 Chevrolet C10 SWB. I am swapping my transmission to a 700R4 and could use any tips I can get. I went ahead and pulled the engine out too so I could repaint the block and clean up the bay a little more. What I was wondering is if I can put my new Sanderson CC10 headers on before I install the transmission? Someone said they are so tight you can't get the transmission in with the headers on the block. I am also quite confused about all the steps it takes to covert over to the 700R4. I know I need to get a TV cable and then adjust it correctly. What I don't understand is the lock up wiring. Do I really need this? Also, do I need a brake circuit swith? If there is anyone on this forum that has a good link to a 700R4 Install in our trucks let me know. I would like to see how they mounted their crossmember etc. Also does anyone have any idea how much the drive line needs to be shortened? I have lots of questions so I hope someone has some answers.
The brake switch is necessary to unlock the torque converter when the brakes are applied. Using the lockup converter is a good idea, it will lower engine RPM a little more when engaged. You don't have to hook it up at all, but some say this may cause transmission damage, of that I am not sure. The driveshaft will need to be shortened about 2 inches.

1971 Chevrolet C/10
1951 GMC 100
1977 GMC C15
1955 Chevrolet 3100

Last edited by Katrina/10; 05-15-2011 at 10:15 AM.
Katrina/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 12:30 PM   #5
Tim R

Also if you are going to go with the 700R4 and any other carb than a quada-jet you need to go to BOWTIE OVERDRIVE and purchase there adaptor for your carb. They make one for a holley and one for a demon carb. The reason is the linkage geometry on holleys and demons is not right and you cant get the TV pressure right on the trans and it will lead to premature transmission failure.

Tim
Tim R is offline   Reply With Quote