The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-22-2003, 10:30 PM   #1
drink2mny

leaf sprung..How many leafs?

I actually have 2 questions.
I know I'm pushing my luck, but I never learn..

1st. The height on the bed is to high for me. Its a 72 super cheyenne 3/4 ton 2wd longbed. the guy I bought it from had 33 x 12.50 on 16.5 rims.. I am going to look to put 16" slots on it and want same size tires all around..The problem is if i do that the a$$end looks like it will still sit high.. I think he add a leaf but not sure..So how many leafs should I have???

2nd anyone ever have problem with tuning? I have an hei on there but since i have had this i can't get the idle to be right..The Oldman said it had a big cam..Its the 402 big block..
when on the gas it pulls hard, but if just idleing around you can feel the truck surge..I thought maybe a vacuum leak so i chased all vacuum lines and replaced any bad ones.Check compression and they are all within limits of each other.Checked the carb gaskets and no leaks there or on the intake...
My last thing is if i take the vacumm of the carb and bring up the throttle, it doesn't skip a beat. But it runs like poop when hooked up.new coil,cap,rotor also..

Any Ideas?
Glad your happy with the tray WES

Old 07-23-2003, 07:02 PM   #2
drink2mny

I know there is someone out there with an answer or a make me feel good lie
Old 07-23-2003, 08:40 PM   #3
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

I cant say for sure on ypour truck, but my longhorn had 7 or 8 leafs , including the flat helper leaf. 8 by the book ,as I understand, but there may have been 1 tossed early on in the trucks life......she has 4 now + slapper bars crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 12:19 AM   #4
lewi

I used an Early Classic's drop shackle with mine. It had positive a stance more than I liked. It dropped about 2" in the back and looks pretty good now, with just a hint of the old positive stance which is how they should look unless your going to drop the whole truck. It is a 2wd 1/2 ton with heavy duty rear leafs.

Built to use, and look good.
lewi is offline   Reply With Quote