The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-16-2011, 07:49 PM   #1
ppscugog

Shimming a 10 bolt rear end

I have an 87 GMC 4X4. It has a 10 bolt 8.5 inch 28 spline rear end with a 3.42 gear ratio. The pinion shaft failed so I bought a case from the wrecker and bolted my ring gear on to it. I'm having problems shimming it for backlash. In order to get the correct backlash (.008) all of the shims need to go on the ring gear side (drivers) with no shims on the pinion side (passenger). I did not touch the pinion setup. Something is screwed up. Any driveline experts out there? This truck is just for farm work so if I can't fix it myself it gets parked. The used case I bought may have been from a 77 Chevelle, guy at wreckers wasn't sure. Maybe 10 bolt car and truck rear ends are different?
ppscugog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:36 PM   #2
mooseknuckles

Re: Shimming a 10 bolt rear end

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppscugog View Post
I have an 87 GMC 4X4. It has a 10 bolt 8.5 inch 28 spline rear end with a 3.42 gear ratio. The pinion shaft failed so I bought a case from the wrecker and bolted my ring gear on to it. I'm having problems shimming it for backlash. In order to get the correct backlash (.008) all of the shims need to go on the ring gear side (drivers) with no shims on the pinion side (passenger). I did not touch the pinion setup. Something is screwed up. Any driveline experts out there? This truck is just for farm work so if I can't fix it myself it gets parked. The used case I bought may have been from a 77 Chevelle, guy at wreckers wasn't sure. Maybe 10 bolt car and truck rear ends are different?
you may have a different series carrier? ......its been soo long now I forget! hopefully someone else will chime in
mooseknuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:07 AM   #3
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

Moose is correct, you have the wrong carrier or gears. Generally cases only fit one gear series. EG, 2.00 thru 2.99 are one carrier, 3.00 thru 3.99 are another, 4.00 thru 4.99 are different again. You can see the difference by compairing the gears that came off a carrier. laying on thier back the distance from the gear tooth valley to the table will change in thickness or height. You can also stand the carrier on a bench along side another and see the gear mounting flange is higher or lower than another carrier. jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:35 AM   #4
ont_guy_38

The break for the 10 bolt is different ...2.56 and down , 2.76 and up but ya that is probably whats going on
ont_guy_38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:03 AM   #5
Keith Seymore

Secondly - maybe I misunderstood - but you can't swap ring gears and leave the old pinion in. You have to swap ring and pinion as a set.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 12:02 PM   #6
ont_guy_38

Ya wonder if he did ?
ont_guy_38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:17 PM   #7
ppscugog

No, I kept the ring and pinion as a set.
Thanks guys for the response. It looks like I got a Series 2 carrier from the wrecker and I'm trying to install it in my Series 3 differential. So either I take back the Series 2 carrier and get a 3, or buy a spacer off ebay. Man, I didn't know any of this 24 hours ago. Isn't the interwebs wonderful! So much for wrecker staff who assured me all GM 10 bolt 8.5 inch are the same. He also claimed he was selling me a 3.42 gear ratio carrier...nope, not even close.
ppscugog is offline   Reply With Quote