The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-03-2010, 07:57 AM   #1
skysoldier173rd

wheels

I've looked around and noticed it's quite hard to find aftermarket wheels for the 6 lug pattern on our trucks. Appears due to the fact that the center hole in the wheels we have is larger than most, so even though the wheel lug pattern may be OK, the center hole of most types wont go over the hub center. A guy was telling me that adapater plates are available that move the wheel out enough to not interfere with the part that would stick through the wheel and therefore one could use newer GM wheels or basically anything that had the same 6 lug pattern. Does anyone utilize these or have and info on them?
skysoldier173rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:02 AM   #2
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

Re: wheels

Here is a link.... http://adaptitusa.com/6-lugto5-lugadapters.aspx?page=3

The pictures don't match the descriptions though...... and I don't know of anybody who has used these, so I can't vouche for 'em.

Last edited by lakeroadster; 10-03-2010 at 09:09 AM.
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 03:28 PM   #3
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysoldier173rd View Post
I've looked around and noticed it's quite hard to find aftermarket wheels for the 6 lug pattern on our trucks. Appears due to the fact that the center hole in the wheels we have is larger than most, so even though the wheel lug pattern may be OK, the center hole of most types wont go over the hub center. A guy was telling me that adapater plates are available that move the wheel out enough to not interfere with the part that would stick through the wheel and therefore one could use newer GM wheels or basically anything that had the same 6 lug pattern. Does anyone utilize these or have and info on them?
Sounds like he was describing a 'spacer' vs. an adapter.

The spacer shims the wheel out enough so that the offending material doesn't contact the hub flange. The problem w/spacers is it puts more stress on the already 'weak' link.... the OE 7/16" studs. Spacers are commonly made from cast aluminum & prone to cracking w/age (many heat cycles).

Adapters also move the wheel out but they do it differently. The adapter itself bolts to the OE hub just like a wheel. The new wheel then bolts to different studs on the adapter. Adapter studs are usually 1/2" studs & adapters are made of billet aluminum (not prone to cracking ).

The problem w/adapters is they increase the track width by 1" minimum. This may (or may not) be an issue depending on what the backspacing (offset for late model wheels) is.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 10-03-2010 at 03:29 PM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 04:29 PM   #4
blackedoutharley
Account Suspended

I can't recommend the use of "ET" style lug nuts enough on our trucks with the aforementioned weak 7/16" studs.

http://www.cwausa.com/ETLUGNUTS.html
blackedoutharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:30 PM   #5
Turkey

Check out wheel vintiques. They have 'em. I bought mine from Summit which has free shipping.
Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:51 PM   #6
skysoldier173rd

Yes, I think the 1/4" spacers will give me all the clearance i need. I will measure and check. I believe the original studs will be ok. They all stick past the nut for over 1/4 inch, so should work fine and they are all new. Wish i'd known about these before, i've passed up many good wheel deals because i didn't think any newer wheels would work. Thanks guys.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:54 PM   #7
blackedoutharley
Account Suspended

Lug nut thread engagement should be at least equal to the diameter of the stud in question.

1/4" of thread engagement is nowhere near enough!

Using the "et" lugs helps overcome the problem with short studs / thick wheel flanges.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:05 AM   #8
protrash64
Resistance is Futile

Skysoldier.......I'm running wheels on my P/U that were originally for 88-98 3/4 ton trucks (6-lug). The front fit no problem as I had done a disc upgrade but the rear didnt fit due to the axle flange. I used the 1/4'' spacer to provide clearance and also used lug nuts with a 60* conical seat and a shank to further engage the studs.

The backspacing on the newer wheels is deep enough that one could use a 1'' billet spacer as SCOTI describes to set the backspacing 'correctly'...matter of opinion, I suppose.
STRENGTH/DETERMINATION/MERCILESS/FOREVER
.......posted via stationary device
protrash64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 04:01 PM   #9
kieth

This thread is worthless without pictures.............glad I finally got to say that....
kieth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 04:15 PM   #10
skysoldier173rd

Someone on here said in the past that the wheels on our truck were "hubcentric" meaning that the wheel is centered on the hub, not the lugs and that would mean that if the hub was not used to center the wheel, just having it close enough to screw the lugs on would not be centered well enough for highway speeds. I hope someone who knows will get in on this, i would like to know. It is true that you can use the lug nuts that cover and take advantage of the whole stud and make it secure enough, just is it centered well enough is the question without the hub center being in the wheel to provide true center?
Old 05-16-2011, 04:50 PM   #11
scum1

man i just ordered some wheel vintiques for my 6 lug, i hope they dont have a problem. i dont like the idea of using spacers on wheels. i never have but i would rather not.
scum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:05 PM   #12
skysoldier173rd

I agree, that shoulder of the hub sticking through the hole in the wheel (I think) not only perfectly centers the wheel, but provides support. I have heard guys talk about having accidents because of loosing a wheel when using spacers and shearing the lugs. No first hand experience, but have heard that. Still want to hear from those who know more about this though.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:41 PM   #13
blackedoutharley
Account Suspended

I don't know of a single aftermarket wheel mfg that doesn't make their 6 lug wheels with a big enough hole to clear the hub.

Talking about standard offset aluminum wheels mind you.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:20 PM   #14
Brandonc20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieth View Post
This thread is worthless without pictures.............glad I finally got to say that....
Amen! I have the 3/4 ton 8 lug and I'm trying to find nice rims at 16-18 inch. Good luck to me.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Brandonc20; 05-17-2011 at 02:21 PM.
Brandonc20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 02:38 PM   #15
skysoldier173rd

Sorry Harley, but I've tried several aluminum wheels on my truck and have found several with center holes that are 3.25 instead of the needed 3.50. I don't know what brands they were but they are out there and they won't fit our trucks.
Also ran into a set of aluminum slots recently at a swap meet with the six lug pattern and they also were 3.25 and wouldn't fit.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:16 AM   #16
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

If you find a set of wheels you really like but the center hole is too small, I would check into having either the wheel center holes machined larger, or your hubs turned down. Then compare that cost with what a set of spacers cost.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:28 AM   #17
iehotrod

Look what found here in cali 10 minutes from house have of what most places charge and they air craft material.

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/pts/2371530383.html
iehotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:29 AM   #18
iehotrod

Reply to: sale-cqgta-2371530383@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wheel Adapters or Wheel Spacers
We Machine Any Size or Lug Pattern

Have a Set of 6 Lug Rims you really want to Put on you 5 Lug Vehicle, We Make Custom 2 Piece Wheel Adaptors For any Lug to Lug Conversion.

These Spacers/Adapters are made with High Quality 6061-t6 Air Craft Grade Aluminum

Studs are High Quality 10.9 Grade

Sizes Range From ¼” to 4”

WE Ship to the Lower 48 States

Need Those Spacers/Adapters Today .. Ask about Our Rush Service

Ace Motorsports
909-981-3860

779 N Benson Ave

Upland, CA 91786
iehotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 02:21 AM   #19
blackedoutharley
Account Suspended

Ask them for a copy of a general liability insurance policy covering their spacers. LOL