The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-18-2011, 05:27 PM   #1
Beat68CST

Where to look for rust?

Hey guys, I'm not real familiar with the 60-66's but know my around a 67-72. Pretty much I need to know where to look for rust and what options are desirable. I've always loved these trucks, just as much as the 67-72's and my chance to get one a block away from me just might be here

I know the truck is a half ton, fleet side, standard bed, has a I-6 250 and the cab is stepped on the roof.
Beat68CST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 06:19 PM   #2
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

Re: Where to look for rust?

Normal rust spots are the front fenders, down low, back by the cab, and the doors along the bottom, and the rear cab corners.

Lift the hood and look at where the inner fenders attach to the cab and where the inner fenders attach to the radiator core support. Also look where the core support attaches to the frame. Also look at the hood, basically all around the lower edge where it is closest to the fenders.

Look under the cab, between the frame and the doors. See if the sheet metal front and rear cab floor supports are rotted. These are upside down channel pieces that weld to the floor and they tend to hold water and mud. While you are there look at the cab supports, they are riveted to the frame and have rubber donuts between them and the floor, look at the floor around the rubber donuts. Also look at the cab floor in this area and look at the inner rocker panel.

Open the doors and look at the rocker panels & inside of the door bottom. Also look at the cab floor along the door and follow the floor all the way to the firewall. pay attention to where the floor connects to the kick panel below the kick panel vents. While inside also look above the windshield and see if the sheet metal is rotted. Sometimes the roof seams leak and rots this area out. Also look on the outside of the truck in this area, above the windshield.

Don't forget to look at the rear trailing arms, they are basically two c-channel shapes fastened back to back. The web of the channels have been known to rust clear through. Also look at the frame for heavy rust.

In regards to options... same kind of stuff as the 67-72's is preferred: Custom Cab, air conditioning, etc.

Also be sure to check out Woogeroo's excellent tech article... click here: 1960-66 Chevy / GMC Truck Buyer's Guide

Last edited by lakeroadster; 05-18-2011 at 06:33 PM.
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:00 PM   #3
Beat68CST

And what is the stepped cab roof? What exactly is that called? Is it rare?
Beat68CST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:10 PM   #4
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

The front visor and rear kick-up & duck tail.... from 60-66, all the pickup cabs had 'em.

Last edited by lakeroadster; 05-18-2011 at 08:13 PM.
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 06:09 PM   #5
Greg63
Enjoy your truck

If you really want to know where to look for rust, try looking in on the Ford forum.
1 Corinthians 10:13

1963 Chevrolet 1/2 ton
2010 Camaro SS/RS
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2016 Jeep Cherokee
Greg63 is offline   Reply With Quote