The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-24-2011, 07:44 PM   #1
kevinkok

55 2nd series, lt1 six speed???

hello, I have had my 55 for over a year now and have aquired a 95 z28 as a donor car.
My plan is to put the lt1 and six speed out of the z28 into my truck. I am still running drum brakes and the stock suspension. what are your thoughts on keeping the straight axle as opposed to a front clip?
Also any help, advice or problems with doing the swap in general, would be greatly appreciated. ( clutch pedal setup, mounts and so on).

what do I have instore for my venture?
thanks, kevin
kevinkok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:54 PM   #2
Kim57

Re: 55 2nd series, lt1 six speed???

Welcome
The swap shouldn't be that difficult to do. These trucks did come with V8s back in the so it will fit with no problems. you may have to fab a new trans mount.
I would upgrade to disc brakes on the front at the very least. There are plenty of after market kits that should just bolt right on.
Kim
Kim57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:05 PM   #3
1956chevtruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkok View Post
hello, I have had my 55 for over a year now and have aquired a 95 z28 as a donor car.
My plan is to put the lt1 and six speed out of the z28 into my truck. I am still running drum brakes and the stock suspension. what are your thoughts on keeping the straight axle as opposed to a front clip?
Also any help, advice or problems with doing the swap in general, would be greatly appreciated. ( clutch pedal setup, mounts and so on).

what do I have instore for my venture?
thanks, kevin
Kevinkok,
I have a 57 shortbox custom cab with a 95 z28 LT1, 4l60E, Camaro Clip, rear-end out of the Camaro and a TCI triangulated 4-link. It drives and handles like a dream. It goes like a scared rabbit and man is it fun to drive. I've had a stock 55 Chev Shortbox and the suspension (in my opinion) would not be stiff enough/stable enough to handle that kind of torque/power. You absolutely need to up grade to either 2 disc or all four wheels disc brakes.
1956chevtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:23 PM   #4
kevinkok

thanks guys.

I do agree with the brakes and probably the rear end, I forgot to mention the motor is far from stock. This is my first rodeo and all advice/info is very appreciated..

my plan is to do the swap with as much of the car as possible.

it has long tube headers and x pipe, three rivers driveshaft, .060 over diamond series pistons, comp springs, comp pushrods, comp roller lifters, comp cam, crane roller rockers etc...
kevinkok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:47 AM   #5
Kim57

If it were me I would be grafting the front clip from the camaro onto the truck and be done with it.
if you have any fab skills it isn't that hard to do.
Kim
Kim57 is offline   Reply With Quote