The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-25-2011, 09:53 PM   #1
83_shortwide

Problem W/ RH Power Window

My passenger side power window is not completely working. It doesn't work at all when using the driver's side switch. It only tries to go up using the passenger side switch. I have checked the motor with the battery and it works both ways. There must be a wiring issue somewhere? fuse? What else do I need to check and where would it be located?

'83 C10, LQ4, 4L80E
83_shortwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:22 PM   #2
Adams74Chevy

Re: Problem W/ RH Power Window

I would take a circuit tester and see if you get power coming out of the driver side switch when pressed and them see if is getting power to the motor. If it's coming out of the switch but not at the motor the wire is messed up somewhere between. I don't think it could be the fuse if you have power to the switches. I'm far from a power window expert, but sometimes seeing where you do and don't have power can prevent one from just throwing switches and motors on that don't need replaced.
1987 V20 Custom Deluxe 350 TH400 NP208 "farm truck" getting parted out.
2016 Nissan Altima grocery getter/commuter
Adams74Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 01:36 PM   #3
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

wires crack and break inside that rubber tube to the door
may wana meter from the switchs to the plug around the e brake pull off
one each on both sides
Attached Images

motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 02:14 PM   #4
pig rig

I belive the drivers 4 switch is like $20 yours is probly bad I just replace it before ripping wires
the switched build up corrosion and dont make good contact I've found its easier to start with new switches and cut that out of the equation

http://hubgarage.s3.amazonaws.com/ph...ped_detail.JPG
pig rig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:35 PM   #5
tucsonjwt

I agree with checking power before you buy anything. In my case, the harness connector which attaches to the switch prongs had frayed wires where it bends into the connector. It is very difficult to detect this, and the problem will likely be intermittent before it completely won't work, so pull the switch out of the door panel and wiggle the connector and its wires to see if the window will function. If wiggling it works, then you need a new harness with connector.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:16 PM   #6
83_shortwide

Thanks for all the replies...

I have checked continuity of the wires from the switch to the inside through the door jamb and all check good, I even checked continuity from LH door to RH door of same wires, all check good. I have bought new switches for both sides, still doesn't work. I am going to go back and recheck all wires as far as power and continuity between connections to make sure I didn't miss anything...
Is there anything under the dash that I should check?? How do the wires run from door to door once they make connection from the door jamb? Is it just a straight shot or anything else? I have a wiring diagram but it just show a straight shot...
Maybe I just need someone to explain exactly how the switches work, electrically, because I am new to this.

'83 C10, LQ4, 4L80E
Old 05-27-2011, 11:43 AM   #7
tucsonjwt

I suspect many switches and motors have been replaced when the problem was really in the connectors - that was my experience. You can have continuity until you put the switch back into the door panel and the wires at the connector move - if the wires are frayed they will not make good contact.
the connector wires at the switch are bent at a 90 degree angle - this makes them subject to wear and they fray or break off easily where they attach to the connector. Remove the switch from the door panel and look closely at the wires where they are stabbed into the connector, then wiggle the wires while operating the switch - there is a good chance that the switches will work at some point in the wiggling process because the wires will have enough integrity to transmit current to the switch.
If new switches work for you that is great and a cheap fix. I have had only one bad switch on my truck - the other problems were all connectors.
If you need a new harness and connector post back here and I can point you to a replacement.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 05:47 PM   #8
83_shortwide

Thanks for everyone's help... It ended up being the LH switch, the tan and blue/white wires were not grounding so the RH window would never go down. All the connections look very good actually, no frayed wires...

Also, I knew nothing about switches until this little project, learned a lot!

'83 C10, LQ4, 4L80E