The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-27-2011, 04:40 PM   #1
oldtrux

to paint or not to paint!

so i have my t5 trans in getting rebuilt and i asked the guy what they do for the aluminum trans cases.he said they clean them and put them in a tumbler and they actually come out looking pretty decent.i like the looks of clean aluminum but i'm thinking it wont look that way for long.just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on protecting or painting raw aluminum.thanks dan
oldtrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 05:27 PM   #2
chainsaw

Re: to paint or not to paint!

I used to just rattlecan clear my 392 hemi valve covers after a polish, held up kinda good.
chainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 05:32 PM   #3
oldtrux

thanks chainsaw,does it have to be special paint for aluminum and did you primer or anything?
Old 05-27-2011, 05:35 PM   #4
oldtrux

sorry,just realized you said clear.brain cramp
Old 05-27-2011, 05:50 PM   #5
chainsaw

Have those all the time. Mine were polished ,not raw alum. but should work the same. Probably better ways to do it , might wait for more advise.
chainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 06:00 PM   #6
jgarverick

I've heard good things about Eastwoods Diamond Coat Clear

64 C10 SWB Stepside 350/muncie - 5.3 vortec (soon)Thread
69 AMC Javelin 360/auto - 417 stroker (soon)
68 Scout (Basketcase)
06 Ram HEMI SWB Reg Cab Daily Driver

US Army Vet
jgarverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 06:21 PM   #7
72lb4x4
Account Suspended

I'd leave it alone. Unless you prep it well, the paint's gonna start peeling eventually and look like crap. The raw aluminum may dull over time, but it'll do so evenly and look ok.

Just another opinion...
72lb4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 06:27 PM   #8
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

I've been using Krylon #1403 Dull Aluminum for about 25 years, on hood hinges, wheels, thermostat housings, etc. I painted my Corvette valve covers, intake manifold, and rally wheels with it. They don't show up real well, but the hood hinges were painted almost 20 years ago using the same stuff:

In bare form, this design valve cover looks really crappy. It's very porous with a marred surface. With the paint it still looks like aluminum but is very easy to keep clean compared to the bare surface.

The last cans I bought a couple years ago wore a new lid and labeling, and the can now states "For use inside. Ideal for decorations, lamps, furniture, crafts, and more". I looked at some very old cans I still have and they had no warning indicating it was for indoor use.

Regardless, I used the new stuff to paint the wheels, intake, valve covers, and a few other odds and ends about 2 years ago. Everything I sprayed with it still looks like new (when cleaned up). I also had a very hard time finding the paint. Home Depot and Lowes no longer stock it, but I did find it at our local Ace Hardware store. Here is a photo of what the cans I have look like:

Amazon.com: Krylon Spray Paint, Dull Aluminum 12... Amazon.com: Krylon Spray Paint, Dull Aluminum 12...

If you do a web search, you'll find several other designs of caps and labels
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:00 PM   #9
Turkey

Raw aluminum corrodes to prevent corrosion. In other words, aluminum actually forms a very thin layer of corrosion to prevent further corrosion. It has its own protective layer. Keep in mind that your tranny will be "sandblasted" by road debris, dirt, gravel, etc. You might leave an aluminum interior part alone and it may be fine for years, but the tranny will get more abuse, so a layer of clear may help prevent pitting and what not. People will tell you that aluminum doesn't corrode, but scientifically it does. Now you have been educated a little and can make your decision based on your newfound knowledge. Hope this helps.
Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:39 PM   #10
jocko

if it's being tumbled, keep in mind it will alter the finish a bit - it will be easier to clean after tumbling. I've had a few manifolds "tumbled" and it gets rid of that aluminum manifold grease magnet texture - and since a trans is much smoother than an intake already, I'd imagine the surface will be pretty easy to wipe off if it gets greasy.

I look at it this way -
1. If the underside of your truck is spotless, then it won't get the trans dirty, so no need to clear or paint it
2. If the underside of your truck is filthy, then who cares if the trans is spotless, so no need to clear or paint it

Why do today what you could easily put off til tomorrow! Just kidding, I vote natural finish. If you go clear, an option that has a pretty good hard coating is Eastwood's diamond clear.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote