The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-25-2011, 09:20 PM   #1
floridasteve

Question about hidden bed strips

I purchased by bed sides from the vendor with polished angle strips, no holes, welded to the bed sides from the factory. Here is my question. If I went with the polished Hidden strips for the bed am I ok not to drill into the angle strips? I understand how they fasten in the strips and the angle are not set up to use the fasteners. I also see that hidden fastner angle strips are not an option.

So here is the dilema. Do I have to drill the holes in the sides and use a polished angle cover? Seems useless to have ordered the polished in the first place if so. Second, Am I ok to go with hidden and not attach the wood to the sides with fastners? I would just leave it under the strip in the groove and use the hidden everywhere else.

Thanks in advance for the anticipated responses and pics. I could not wait to get an answer from the distributer in the morning!
Old 05-28-2011, 08:47 AM   #2
floridasteve

Re: Question about hidden bed strips

Well, I ordered my bed wood and strips today. Learning the hard way. I originally ordered my cross sills and they are specific to the amount of wood strips in the bed. So I have a 49 and I ordered 49 sills so they are made for 9 wood pieces. If I wanted 7 I would have to redrill all the holes. Oh well live and learn.

Also, with the hidden bed strips they do not make hidden angle strips. So you have to manufacture something yourself or seriously weaken the floor strength. I was thinking of only drilling out the 4 bolts for the sills on the anle pieces. I did go with the hidden system so I will see when it gets here.

Any suggestions of what you guys did for the angles on the hidden systems?
Old 05-28-2011, 02:35 PM   #3
tmoble

when you say hidden strips do you strips with hidden bolts?

I would use those.

I think you need to bolt down through the angle strips, wood and cross sills because this helps hold the bed in place. Front, back and each sill. The big bed bolts hold the pieces of wood they go through and the sills. the rest of the wood is bolted to the sills. In turn the bed sides are bolted to the wood via the angle strips. You really cant drill square holes so drill round. Use button head stainless Allen bolts with the heads polished. They're close to the bed sides so if they're already painted be careful. You might end up drilling them up from the bottom. Clear as mud? Good.

It'll be fine.

Last edited by tmoble; 05-28-2011 at 02:39 PM.
tmoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 03:10 PM   #4
floridasteve

Exactly my thought was to drill up from the bottom into the angle strips. I will use four button head polished stainless bolts. I will poat pics when I get it in.