The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-30-2011, 12:51 PM   #1
blackbeaSSt

yup. gonna need a new starter

those vids i posted a while back of the noise at startup, my mechanic thinks that it is more then likely the starter. again i know he has to make money and all, but $170 out the door? really? whats the best place to get a starter from so me and the guy across the street can do it?
blackbeaSSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 01:36 PM   #2
tucsonjwt

Re: yup. gonna need a new starter

If you are not sure it is the starter I would not buy a starter. If it is intermittent no start it could be just the solenoid, or it could be the flywheel, or a lot of other things.
If you are convinced you need a starter you can try to auto parts store rebuilds/exchange, but I have never had any luck with them. If you plan to keep your truck a while I would go with a genuine GM high torque mini starter. I got mine a Scroggins-Dickey Chevy parts online a few years ago. I think the price has gone up, but you can search the net if you want one. These are pricey but worth the cost if you plan to keep the truck, or put the old starter back in when you sell your truck and sell the high torque on ebay. High torque starters do require that you let the engine wind down for a few seconds if you do not start it on the first try, due to the high revolutions of the starter needing time to stop spinning, or you will grind the starter.

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results.cfm
tucsonjwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 02:03 PM   #3
blackbeaSSt

tucson, here the vids that have the sound. of course it didn't do it when i was at his place but he it on the video. i didn't quite catch what he said but it was something getting to the starter before it starting up and possibly making the sound.

Last edited by blackbeaSSt; 05-30-2011 at 02:05 PM.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:08 PM   #4
85silverbeast

It's not difficult at all to change the starter, two bolts and two wires. If you're not sure is the starter remove it and take to your local auto parts they can test it.
85silverbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 06:56 PM   #5
blackbeaSSt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85silverbeast View Post
It's not difficult at all to change the starter, two bolts and two wires. If you're not sure is the starter remove it and take to your local auto parts they can test it.
thanks 85 i'll give that a go first
Old 05-30-2011, 09:11 PM   #6
Shyguy

I took my starter to a local starter/alternator shop and had them rebuild it with a new solenoid. It works great.
'92 GMC K-3500 Duallie, 454/4L80E.
Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:04 AM   #7
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

make sure you disconnect yourpositive cable first before you take out the starter... two bolts for the starter and then theres the large cable with a nut on it then the two little wires on top... make sure you remember which goes where so it works when you put it back together... and it should cost you about $50

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:27 AM   #8
blackbeaSSt

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Rusty C10 View Post
make sure you disconnect yourpositive cable first before you take out the starter... two bolts for the starter and then theres the large cable with a nut on it then the two little wires on top... make sure you remember which goes where so it works when you put it back together... and it should cost you about $50
thanks bob. just odd that the noise comes and goes at will. not sure i wanna drop $170 in to it with our second youngin coming in 30 days
Old 05-31-2011, 09:47 AM   #9
blackbeaSSt

ok just got off the phone with mechanic. he said something about the bendix in the starter isn't spinning as fast as something else therefore it makes that grinding noise.

but he did say that parts and labor would be $130ish. also it would have a better warranty and almost just as cheap as having it rebuilt.