The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-31-2011, 09:06 PM   #1
72longbed
Account Suspended

Question Starter Issues Question??

Hey guys,
I need some help and hope there's a few of you out there that have had the same propblem and found a fix that REALLY works. Today I drove to Carlisle / Mechanicsburg, PA area to buy a new open utility trailer. Naturally I drove the 72 K20 to get it. It was about 95 degrees in my 'neck of the wood's' today and so I made a point to check all fluids, topped off the radiator with a good 50/50 mix, tranny, etc.. All cool for the ride as far as the guages went. I decided to stop at the 'Lawn" Rest Stop about 32 miles before the Carlisle exit. I came out a tried to start the truck ... nothing. Not even clicking. I had a similar experience a couple months ago when I took the truck to Reading area on a very hot afternoon and came out of the store and ... Nothing. I waited about 30 minutes, turning the key every 10 minutes, and finally after the sun was well down, it started. So I assumed it was the fact that I didn't have a heat shield on my starter, and my Headers are heating up the starter. I went online and bought a D.E.S (or something like that), starter heat shield wrap. A bit of a P.I.A. to put on , but it's been on there almost two months.

So back to my trip to Carlisle ... I had to wait almost an hour for the damn thing to cool off today at the rest stop. So I get to the trailer dealer and naturally I spent a good bit of time haggling and doin' the deal. Luckily, the truck started right up come time to hook up the new trailer and get back on the road. Wheew!!

I had to stop for gas outside of Morgantown on the way home. Shut it off to fill up and, sure as ****tin', wouldn't start. I ended up, after waiting a good 1.5 hours, finally getting at the starter with a screwdriver and jumping the positive lead and the inside terminal on the solenoid. Started right up.

So here's the thing ... I can do most anything mechanical, but electrical stuff ... I'm lost. We all have our weak spots.

What I would like to know is:
1. is what's going on here called "Heat Sink"?
2. is there damage to my starter/solenoid at this point?
3. what needs to be done to keep this from happening again?
4. Can I continue to use the starter that's in there or does either the starter or solenoid need to be replaced now?
5. is there a method or 'product' that can keep the Header heat from doing this again?

Thank you folks for all your good ideas and experiences in this area. I look forward to learning what can be done here so that I can actually USE my friggin' truck in the summertime! Ha!!

72longbed

Last edited by 72longbed; 05-31-2011 at 09:09 PM.
72longbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:17 PM   #2
dougo

Re: Starter Issues Question??

I had headers on my 72 burb. It has a 454. I was having similar issues, although only had to wait for about 20 minutes. Here's what I ended up doing... manifolds and later new starter. No problems since. A lot of members have been able to work around the issue and still run headers. For my burb, it was not necessary for me. By the way I went with an AC Delco starter. Sounds like to me your starter is beginning to fry... because of the heat.

Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-31-2011, 09:17 PM   #3
Shyguy

Yep, your starter is a victum of heat soak. There is a guy on here that carried a spray bottle of water to cool the starter off when it happened.

You can go with a mini starter off a newer truck like a '95 Chevy or buy a mini high torque starter from places like Jegs and Summit.

A heat blanket can help, a remote solenoid can help-it just depends on how bad the heat soak is.

Cleaning all the battery cable connections can help.

But the sure fire way to cure heat soak is to go with a mini starter.
'92 GMC K-3500 Duallie, 454/4L80E.
Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:26 PM   #4
72lb4x4
Account Suspended

My understanding is that heat soak is a slow turning starter when hot. Your description of nothing at all happening (no click, no turning of the starter) suggests something else.

The key switch in the start position turns on the solenoid.
The solenoid turns on the starter motor, and engages the starter drive.

You need to measure the voltage at the solenoid to ground when the problem happens.
72lb4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:29 PM   #5
72longbed
Account Suspended

Thumbs up Re: Starter Issues Question??

Thanks so far. I am going to keep the Hedman Hedders on there ... they have a great coating and super thick exhaust manifold flange.

I'd like to hear more ideas of what else might work too. I was thinking of wrapping the pass. side hedder with that heat wrap tape around the area that's closest to the starter? Do you think that's worth it?

I have a 2004 or 2005 Chevy HT383 Crate motor in this truck. It's based on the Vortec headed small block. Are you guys saying that there is a 'factory' mini starter that Chevy put out to fit my engine?? I'd like to know more about that baby!!

Thanks .... let's hear some more solutions please.

72longbed

Last edited by 72longbed; 05-31-2011 at 09:30 PM.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:35 PM   #6
72longbed
Account Suspended

Question Re: Starter Issues Question??

72lB4x4,
so can "heat soak" also mean the solenoid just doesn't send juice to the starter?

This is where I am not knowledgable. You guys that have experienced real heat soak can chime in on this.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:35 PM   #7
leddzepp

A mini starter will cure any problem you have. You are describing heat soak, the biggest problem associated with an OEM starter. I have used both Hitachi and Powermaster hi-torque mini starters, with ZERO problems for years. I will never use an OEM starter again.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:42 PM   #8
72longbed
Account Suspended

leddzepp,
Thanks man! Anyway you might know what 'part #' / 'style' mini will fit my engine?? The reason I ask ... there was a big problem finding the right "nose" starter for my motor when I put it in. Mostly because these guys behind the counter at the parts stores couldn't understand that my engine was not the same year as the truck. lol!! They were basically lost. I think I had to call Chevrolet Performance to access the right starter for the crate motor. It's a full size starter in there.

Thanks,

Last edited by 72longbed; 05-31-2011 at 09:44 PM.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:47 PM   #9
jondancer

Same thing just happened to me on a90 degree day...
Posted via Mobile Device
jondancer is offline   Reply With Quote