The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-02-2011, 11:09 PM   #1
Ackattack

A/C retro fit

I'm thinking of buying a 88+ pickup to swap the tbi fuel injection and possilbly OD tranny into project No-buck.

Now with a name like "no-buck" of course I don't want to spend any money either (I'll part out the rest of the donor truck and hopefully break even). Anyways, I would also (of course) like to have A/C in No-buck and was wondering if anyone had retrofitted the A/C system of a newer truck into one of our trucks?

The A/C compressor should be no problem as I'll probably just swap the entire serpentine belt system. I wouldn't think the condenser would be hard either. Where it gets tricky is the evaporator and the under the dash/heater core and blower setup. Not to mention the controls.

If someone has done it, post up some pictures or a how to.

Otherwise when I get to it, I'll give it a whirl. Hopefully it would work and would be a cheap way for many of us to get A/C in our trucks!
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:27 PM   #2
ls1nova71

Re: A/C retro fit

I swapped all of a 2003 A/C system into my '72, but I just put the evaporator in the '72 box. The '88 up trucks it's all inside the cab, that could eiyher help or hurt you. But I wouldn't think it would be impossible, would just have to pull it out and measure it to see if it would fit. The only hard part would be getting fresh air to it, and not just recirculating the air like all the aftermarket systems.
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote