The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-31-2011, 02:05 AM   #1
72slammedc10

Cool New to the board and have question about my 72 c10

hello everyone so i finally signed up to the board as i have a 1972 C10 lwb and its been a long road...I now am faced with a financial crysis and may have to let my project go..I know it needs a few thing and is not quite finished but wondering what u guys think i should do in this economy..Sell the truck as a whole or Part it out...I hate to tear another great looking rust free truck but the economy here in sunny california is really bad and due to owning my own shop its now not feasable for me to keep going on this project...

so the truck runs, new rebuilt 454 with RV cam, 427 heads, hooker longtubes, eddy performer intake and carb...blah blah all the MSD goodies!

turbo 400 trans, small 10" converter, seller said 2800 stall? not 100% sure on that either!

aluminum one peice driveline, 4.10 geared rear...perfect for the big wheels!

new custom interior, lowered, phantom grille, shaved front bumper roll pan and rear roll pan, shaved markers, new prowler orange metallic paint!

needs bed side fixed and painted, guages hooked up or i have phantom autometer guages for it..no stereo anymore, and smaller tires as these rub when turning and hit a bump!

let me know what u guys think and what it would bring either way as i have WAY more money in it then i will be able to get out..I know that and hope to atleast get some of it back!..thanks

Last edited by N2TRUX; 05-31-2011 at 08:44 PM.
72slammedc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 12:54 PM   #2
mcbassin
Still Learning

Re: New to the board and have question about my 72 c10

No brainer to me. DON'T PART IT OUT. There's already too many of these trucks being crushed and parted every day. Why take another off the road? I don't think you will make much more if you consider the time it will take to disassemble, ship and package. Nice looking truck btw

Last edited by mcbassin; 05-31-2011 at 12:54 PM.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 02:37 PM   #3
bobs409
1969 Custom 30 wrecker

I agree! Keep it alive and well.

63 Impala 283/PG/3.36 (under restoration)
66 Impala 327/PG/3.36
66 Chevelle SS 409/M22/3.55
69 Chevelle 307/PG/3.08 (future restoration)
69 C10 short stepside 454/TH350/3.73
69 Custom 30 tow truck 350/4 spd/4.10 (resto done, CRUISIN TIME!)
71 Cheyenne 20 fleetside 350/4 spd/4.10
71 Chevelle 6/PG/3.08
72 Chevelle 454/M21/4.10
bobs409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 04:29 PM   #4
wild4wheels

What they said, don't part it man. Join the board and post it in the for sale section, throw it on ebay-someone needs that truck..hey wait a minute..I don't have a truck! ...

Current truck
"Ida Mae" 71 K5 Blazer

Former Trucks
"Loretta" 71 Longbed (AZ)
"Tanya" 69 Stepside (AZ)
"Ferdinand" 71 Longhorn (SD)
"Patches" 67 Panel (IA/ KY)
"Rosita" 68 C30 (KY)

Instagram @Wildforwheels @k5_klub @c10university

Profile pic provided by Jeff Sundance
wild4wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 04:46 PM   #5
99-LS1-SS

I agree. I was surprised to find out how many have been parted out and discarded.
99-LS1-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:46 PM   #6
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Welcome to the forum 72slammedc10. Sorry to hear your hitting a rough patch. I feel you should try to sell it whole.

Please note that you must be a supporting member to post classified item. This includes but is not limited to What Its Worth, Want To Buy, Want To Trade, and For Sale. Please consider supporting the forum by subscribing. Further information on the subscription levels available are located here

If you need any further assistance with that please contact any Admin for help.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:54 PM   #7
72 Super

I agree don't part it. Sorry you may have to sell. Nice truck and a lot of work already done.

Ray
Old 05-31-2011, 09:22 PM   #8
72slammedc10

I know I can't post classified yet.. That's why it's here with no price for sale.. I also did subscribe and it's hard for me to post a ton cause I run a business and post parts for sale on multiple other sites and have to find time to manage them too.. Never enough time in a day and never a dollar in the wallet.. Good old life in CALI!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-31-2011, 09:51 PM   #9
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

A couple things to consider here...
Do you need the cash to keep everything going, or do you just not have the money to keep pouring into the truck?
If it is the former, then part it out. You will get more money out of it this way. You will spend a lot of time doing it, and if you figure the hrs you'll spend, you'll be hurting, but, you don't charge yourself labor either. If you sell it as a whole, you'll get less than you will parting it out.
As for the whole keep it on the road thing... If trucks don't get parted out, then we can't get quality OEM parts. Then we have to get made in china crap that doesn't fit. Besides, it's nothing but a long wheelbase 1/2 ton anywyas. There were thousands upon thousands built like it. Nothing rare, nothing special. People will piss and moan that it is a rust free cali truck, yet few of them would be willing to go get it or pay for it to go to there rusty state.
If you must have the cash, part it out.
Now, if the latter is true, you are keeping things afloat and the bills are getting paid.. then go to the DMV, get non op registration, and park it somewhere. It won't cost you anything to let it sit. Then, when things pick up again (things ALWAYS pick up again) then you can start working on it again and you won't be kicking yourself in the butt for getting rid of a 3/4 of the way done project.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:34 PM   #10
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
A couple things to consider here...
Do you need the cash to keep everything going, or do you just not have the money to keep pouring into the truck?
If it is the former, then part it out. You will get more money out of it this way. You will spend a lot of time doing it, and if you figure the hrs you'll spend, you'll be hurting, but, you don't charge yourself labor either. If you sell it as a whole, you'll get less than you will parting it out.
As for the whole keep it on the road thing... If trucks don't get parted out, then we can't get quality OEM parts. Then we have to get made in china crap that doesn't fit. Besides, it's nothing but a long wheelbase 1/2 ton anywyas. There were thousands upon thousands built like it. Nothing rare, nothing special. People will piss and moan that it is a rust free cali truck, yet few of them would be willing to go get it or pay for it to go to there rusty state.
If you must have the cash, part it out.
Now, if the latter is true, you are keeping things afloat and the bills are getting paid.. then go to the DMV, get non op registration, and park it somewhere. It won't cost you anything to let it sit. Then, when things pick up again (things ALWAYS pick up again) then you can start working on it again and you won't be kicking yourself in the butt for getting rid of a 3/4 of the way done project.
Spot on, agree 100%

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:56 AM   #11
72slammedc10

True but really I need the money.. These things just dint sell complete like they used to and parts are becoming harder to find so I think Imma part it out.. Try to keep the body as a roller but sell off everything I can as far as motor, trans, interior, wheels, etc
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-03-2011, 09:41 AM   #12
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

If you're just gonna yard the engine and tranny out of it and sell it as a roller... I believe you will not get as much for a "roller" as you would a running truck. If you're gonna part it out... you'll need to part the entire truck... stripped to the frame to probably see any financial gain.

Like was stated earlier... with out that tranny and BBC in there, and it being a basic long wheel base truck that is not a rare find... it won't be worth as much.

Hope that makes sense.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote