The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-03-2011, 10:26 PM   #1
cjlinkster

Steering wheel play

I've got a 1984 that has some play in its steering wheel. The play is more related to the tilt adjustment than actual steering (meaning the the steering is fine but the wheel can be moved up and down about 1/2 inch).

Is this an easy fix? Is there a bushing that needs replacing?

Thanks

cjlinkster
cjlinkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 10:49 PM   #2
lindstromjd
Gentleman Jim owner x2

Re: Steering wheel play

There's a bushing / bearing in there, but have fun replacing it and getting everything back together. I will NEVER tear apart another GM tilt column as long as I live if I can help it.
1975 GMC Gentleman Jim #1
-357 / 700r4
1975 GMC Gentleman Jim #2
-350 / TH350
lindstromjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 12:22 AM   #3
rcbildr

Also, there are 4 screws that come loose. Once you get the steering wheel off get a flash light and look as you wobble the top part of the column. They are kinda hard to see. I was able to tighten the bottom bolts on mine with a 1/4 drive socket and a flexible extension...I can't remember the socket size right now. I think you have to disassemble the tilt plate to get to the top bolts, but it's been a while since I did mine....I'm pretty sure I just tightened the bottom bolts and it lasted for a while. I eventually swapped out my column when the bolts came loose again.
1967 Suburban 1/2ton 2wd

My Girlfriends Projects
1985 Chevy Suburban 3/4ton 4x4 with 6.2L diesel, 4" lift, converted to TH-400, Warn Premium manual hubs, & Wildcat 315/75/R16 tires. (daily driver)
1978 Camaro Type LT with a Marine 350 & vortec heads, Rochester Carb, & roller cam
1978 Camaro Z28
rcbildr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 08:50 AM   #4
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

RC is right. There are 4 torx head screws holding the lower bowl on the colunm. You have to remove everything down to and including the lock cyl housing. Once the housing is off you can see the screws down inside. Tighten them up enough to end the play. To prevent this from happening again, remove 1 screw at a time and clean the screw and the screw threads in the colunm, blow dry and locktite and reassemble. Make sure you keep at least 3 of the screws tight at all times. As you reassemble each screw tighten to finish torque. I don't know what the actual torque spec is. I'v done hundreds of these over the years, I just have a feel for it. jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote