The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-04-2011, 11:33 PM   #1
cr34t3d_by_d4rkd3n
Account Suspended

Relocate the battery? Say whaaaaa??

I already have a big plastic trunk box in my bed, i plan to set my 2 batterys inside and build a frame around them so nuthin' will go nowhere. lol....my question is this, how did yall who have done this feed everything?? What runs did you make?

I plan on this:
Bed batteries, large gauge(LG) Cable down the drivers side, inside the fram rails within wire loom, ill bring it up the same path the rear tail lights follow, and create a junction point at a fuse box (jeep or something of the sort) mounted to the inneer fender.
From there it will go to the firewall junction block, junction block to starter, starter to alt.......

Whatcha think? Im thinking i will use a trunk battery kit for the long run of wire from bed-jeepfuse box, and the rest will be appreciate gauges or wire (0 or 00) sub amp wire......

Whats your guys's opinion?? the only reason id have to use a fuse box is : 1) I need a safe + junction, 2) i need a means to give power to my headlights and fog lights that are fed by relays, just inches from the batterys, where they sit now.

Any opinion is great....

p.s. i wanna do this for weight distribution and looks.

Last edited by cr34t3d_by_d4rkd3n; 06-04-2011 at 11:33 PM.
cr34t3d_by_d4rkd3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:18 AM   #2
1LowToy

Re: Relocate the battery? Say whaaaaa??

Why? Why two batteries?
1LowToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:42 AM   #3
Altec
Getcha Pull

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LowToy View Post
Why? Why two batteries?
Diesel? Stuff that requires more amps?

I think the left frame rail is the best way to route. Simply because of the brake, and fuel lines on the other rail.
'96 Integra
Altec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 06:08 AM   #4
cr34t3d_by_d4rkd3n
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LowToy View Post
Why? Why two batteries?
With my sterio system, cooling fans, lights, accesorys on i get inadequate voltage, so it was either buy an optima, larger A alt or use the spare batt tray and batt i had lying around. Also my alarm system draws 0.68a constantly. will kill a single batt in 3 days sitting (went thru 3 batts)....I love having 2 batts, cold starts never a problem jump my friends cars no problem, its just nice to have heater on and everything running and when the bass hits the lights dont dim at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altec View Post
Diesel? Stuff that requires more amps?

I think the left frame rail is the best way to route. Simply because of the brake, and fuel lines on the other rail.
thats what im thinking too, yea, im trying to avoid that fuel line at all costs lol
Old 06-05-2011, 07:55 AM   #5
sumran

If you fill the bed with green firewood you won't have a weight distribution problem. I would not be willing to give away the bed space for a minor difference in weight. Many here have no intention of ever using their trucks as trucks and you may not mind losing the space.

Our trucks have so much room under the hood that the battery (or two) does not detract from appearance of function, to my eye. You know what look you are trying to achieve, so if the battery relocation fits your design your concept is good. If you built a custom box across the full width of the bed you could create storage for the jack and handle, jumper cables, etc.and make it look really sharp. That would move a little more weight and keep other items out of the engine compartment and interior.

Best of luck with the project. Look forward to seeing some pics.

Never brake in the learning curve!

1984 GMC Sierra project truck http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=446737

Last edited by sumran; 06-05-2011 at 07:58 AM.
sumran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:45 AM   #6
72lb4x4
Account Suspended

What's your plan for the ground?

Personally, I don't think putting the battery, or batteries in the bed is a great idea, but maybe I'm missing the advantages.

Wiring in a dual battery setup can be done more than one way depending on the reason for dual batteries. What's your plan?
72lb4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:53 AM   #7
rayfinseats

If it will keep you out of trouble, what the heck.
rayfinseats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 04:30 PM   #8
Altec
Getcha Pull

If I was going to do a long term bed install for my batteries, I would fab up a box from sheet metal to put them in, and recess it into the floor. Then make/buy some sort of sealed access panel. Keeps my bed space open, gives nice access, and keeps them protected.

The other option I'd consider is making brackets on the frame rail to mount them. Some of the diesel GM vans have a setup like this. If I went this route though, I would make it out of something that doesn't rust... Aluminum, or stainless... That is the issue with the vans. They rust out... To make jumping possible, I'd probably run to jumper posts under the hood for easy access.
'96 Integra
Altec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 04:59 PM   #9
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OPTIM...s#ht_500wt_956

I used one of these in my truck.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:43 PM   #10
jitteryguy
GoatLube Experss

is this street driven or just play ? you can get the pos. cable at a weld'n supply store (arc welder cable) run it up the right side to the starter, ground the battery's directly to the frame with as short a cable as posible, no need for any other wires other than mabey the amp cable, every thing else will still feed of the origanal fusable link's come'n from the starter (unless you've move'd em to the battery termanal's).
'92 S10 350/350
'84 MonteCarlo 383/PG/9"ford
'78 Malibu wagon 350/350
'78 Cutlass (project family car)
'96 S10 Jimmy (Moma's)
jitteryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:13 AM   #11
cr34t3d_by_d4rkd3n
Account Suspended

Batterys will be parralled. No remote this or trickle charge that...pure 1320 CCA...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72lb4x4 View Post
What's your plan for the ground?

Personally, I don't think putting the battery, or batteries in the bed is a great idea, but maybe I'm missing the advantages.

Wiring in a dual battery setup can be done more than one way depending on the reason for dual batteries. What's your plan?
Ground will be a sufficient batt cable, directly to ground and avoiding the + and any sharps like a herion user in the 80's...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KQQL IT View Post
:|

Quote:
Originally Posted by jitteryguy View Post
is this street driven or just play ? you can get the pos. cable at a weld'n supply store (arc welder cable) run it up the right side to the starter, ground the battery's directly to the frame with as short a cable as posible, no need for any other wires other than mabey the amp cable, every thing else will still feed of the origanal fusable link's come'n from the starter (unless you've move'd em to the battery termanal's).
Street and play, she will never see a track so regulation external cutoffs will NOT be used, however they will be in the box so i can manually disconnect each battery individually.

Yes, ss or alum box would be sweet, but i dont have the money, and oxidation cant eat HDPE2 !!

Yea, ive moved everything under the hood, everything...

I guess im just trying to figure out a way to make a safe+ junction.....

EDIT: ive done some research, everyone is saying 2g cable is okay, but its limit if 125A....i think im gonna run a 0....?????

Last edited by cr34t3d_by_d4rkd3n; 06-06-2011 at 05:15 AM.