The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-06-2011, 06:34 PM   #1
notyo_cheez

Question OSPHO? Who's used it?

Read up on it after I Googled it, and I saw on other forums where guys were either swearing by it or swearing at it.

From what I read Ospho will work for what I want, when I'm ready to clean and paint the frame. Some have said that after the Ospho treatment if you strip it off the rust is still under it (but it's supposed to be, right?) and you still won't have a proper bond when you apply primer/paint. I'm kinda new to this.

Just fishing for some thoughts, feelings, opinions, suggestions, etc. Consequently the guys that didn't recommend Ospho also didn't like POR15 for the same reason, tantamount to taking cheap short cuts that will come back to bite you later.

What say you?
notyo_cheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:47 PM   #2
cjlinkster

Re: OSPHO? Who's used it?

I use this stuff on all of my projects as a pre wash prior to primer. I let it soak in for about 20 minutes, and then wash it off. After the surface dries, I wipe it down with mineral spirits (depending on whatever paint/primer that you may be shooting).

I think that it works great on light surface rust; the rust turns black. This is not POR 15 or Rust bullet, but it is great for a pre wash to keep metal from flashing with rust. After treating, you will have about 24 hours of protection prior to painting.

I buy this stuff at Home depot; it's only about $14 for a gallon.
cjlinkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:52 PM   #3
cjlinkster

On projects that i have used in it, the rust has not came back (even 2 years after paint. But again, I have only used this as a pre-wash prior to painting. If you have a real rust issue, don't expect this to turn rusted metal into new metal.
Attached Images

cjlinkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:09 AM   #4
hatzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by notyo_cheez View Post
Read up on it after I Googled it, and I saw on other forums where guys were either swearing by it or swearing at it.

From what I read Ospho will work for what I want, when I'm ready to clean and paint the frame. Some have said that after the Ospho treatment if you strip it off the rust is still under it (but it's supposed to be, right?) and you still won't have a proper bond when you apply primer/paint. I'm kinda new to this.

Just fishing for some thoughts, feelings, opinions, suggestions, etc. Consequently the guys that didn't recommend Ospho also didn't like POR15 for the same reason, tantamount to taking cheap short cuts that will come back to bite you later.

What say you?
I've used a mild phosphoric acid rinse, like Ospho, after sandblasting to prevent flash rust before painting. The destructions say to rinse with water. I Let it dry completely. Then wipe it off with thinner just before painting or powder coat.

I wouldn't use it to "convert" rust for the same reason I wouldn't use POR15. Both may work... I think covering up the tumor just seems like a bad idea especially when you're actually trying to kill the cancer. Kinda like using face paint on a Carcinoma.
hatzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:59 AM   #5
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

I have never used this product you refer to. Something about putting acid on a steel product that may allow the product to get into tight spots you can't get rinsed out well bothers me. That said, on my restore over 3 years ago, I used POR 15 and followed the instructions to the letter and have not had a rust issue since. POR is not all that easy to use but it works. POR and like products actually need a very thin patena of rust to work. Key word here is thin. I sandblasted my frame, blew it off and then wet it and let it sit overnight before doing the paint work. You couldn't see the rust, but I know it was there. A word of advice, DO NOT use a wire brush to remove rust!!! All that does is polish it up real nice. Sandblast or grind. jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote