The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-03-2011, 04:37 PM   #26
brad_man_72
the boat guy

Re: pulling my hair out. Front bumpstops!

I've got a new style bumpstop in the mail, bolt in.

when the bs falls out/gets ripped in 2 it has more body roll and you can hear and feel metal on metal around corners and bumps...

I've been reading the thread "make it handle" that was a biiiig mistake. Bye bye money.

right now I've taken out the pass side bumpstop also so at least it's eually sloppy both directions.
brad_man_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:48 PM   #27
brad_man_72
the boat guy

anybody else find it odd that the drivers side has gone through 5-7 bumpstops and the pass side worked the 1st time? Kinda makes me think my setup wasn't quite as half assed as some suggest. Could be the result of a leaky ps box? Poor people have poor ways
66, stevens drag/ski 18' silouette, 350, 2.02 doublehump heads. comp extreme marine 278 cam, vette 7 fin valve covers, old polished edelbrock intake, velvetdrive, casale v-drive, adj cavitation plate.
28, model a rpu project,
Old 06-03-2011, 05:12 PM   #28
Shane
Account Suspended

Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 06:24 PM   #29
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad_man_72 View Post
anybody else find it odd that the drivers side has gone through 5-7 bumpstops and the pass side worked the 1st time? Kinda makes me think my setup wasn't quite as half assed as some suggest. Could be the result of a leaky ps box? Poor people have poor ways
Very possible if the bump-stops were rubber as oils/petroleum products can deteriorate rubber quickly.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 09:35 AM   #30
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad_man_72 View Post
anybody else find it odd that the drivers side has gone through 5-7 bumpstops and the pass side worked the 1st time?....
From the outside looking in my first thoughts are a line from the great Roy D Mercer "Just how big an ole boy are ya?".....

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:18 AM   #31
72lb4x4
Account Suspended

The purpose of a bump stop is to stop the metal suspension parts from crashing into the frame or each other when the suspension has travelled to its limit.

Your first post says its in the bump stops all the time: "It does touch the bumpstops at ride height."

Your suspension is now the bump stop, which is completely wrong. You should be asking why they don't fall out after a block down the road.

Undo the the mods you've done, or get a designed drop. I'd guess the thing is beating itself to death as you go down the road...

Last edited by 72lb4x4; 06-04-2011 at 10:22 AM.
72lb4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 12:33 PM   #32
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72lb4x4 View Post
The purpose of a bump stop is to stop the metal suspension parts from crashing into the frame or each other when the suspension has travelled to its limit.

Your first post says its in the bump stops all the time: "It does touch the bumpstops at ride height."

Your suspension is now the bump stop, which is completely wrong. You should be asking why they don't fall out after a block down the road.

Undo the the mods you've done, or get a designed drop. I'd guess the thing is beating itself to death as you go down the road...
While I agree w/this theory, the issue will be how much does a guy spend vs. the quality of the drop they ultimately end up with.

My 74 had (has) a similar issue as brad_man_72. The drop was done w/3" Bell Tech spindles & a coil cut from the original V8 springs. The amount of drop is about 6" in the front. You could not slip your pinky between the tip of the OE bumpstop & the bottom of the factory x-member.

The options to stay off of the bumpstops are to trim them down or use shorter ones, raise the truck, or modify the mounting points of things to retain the same drop amount while increasing the amount of travel (Dropmember, frame-Z, x-member notching).

I tried the shorter bumpstop idea but that only 'moved' the contact point from the bumpstop/x-member to the top of the tire/fenderwell. You can retain control of the truck w/the bumpstop hitting the x-member; not so much w/the tires 'biting' the tops of the fenderwells. Remove the bumpstops alltogether? The lower a-arms would be digging-in/dragging on moderate/agressive dips in the roadway.

With so little gap between the b-stop & x-member on my set-up, it actually road fine on 'maintained' roadways. On roads that were not up to snuff? You definitely slowed your pace & had a pucker-factor. The alternative was to start cutting the frame to raise the suspension mounting points because the drop amount is/was 'spot-on'.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:28 PM   #33
brad_man_72
the boat guy

real mini coopers, one of the most fun best handling cars ever, just used a bumpstop for a spring. (pass side works great as did the originals for quite some time)
I weigh 155.
new bumpstops are poly not rubber. So they aren't deterorating like the originals.

bolt in bumpstops are here... And now my trans won't go into 1st and sometimes won't go into 4th. 4th trans in 2 years, you'd think for $1300 they'd last a little longer than my piss poor bumpstop suspension.....or a set of tires... Apparently it doesn't always pay, to pay.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:54 PM   #34
brad_man_72
the boat guy

droppd the truck off at the trans shop and my 2 year old in tank fuel pump burned up before they could take it for a test drive. Then they informed me that they wouldn't warantee a 2 month old transmission..

as you can clearly see new front suspension is far from a priority.
66, stevens drag/ski 18' silouette, 350, 2.02 doublehump heads. comp extreme marine 278 cam, vette 7 fin valve covers, old polished edelbrock intake, velvetdrive, casale v-drive, adj cavitation plate.
28, model a rpu project,