The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-08-2011, 06:06 PM   #1
Chewvaca

Hi From Mexico

Hi guys, I joined this forum years ago. But I never posted in it. At the time, my dad had the Chevy truck that I am driving now...

He gave me, his 1990 (mexican or 1987 US) Chevy C10 Custom Deluxe. I lived in AZ for like 14 years, and just recently moved back down here in sonora. I could not drive the truck in the states because I only had an AZ drivers license and insurance for a mexican truck would have been way too much. The truck has a GM 350 in it, the thing is, that it has some kind of adapter plate, and a 2 barrel 302 Ford Carb on it. Its supposed to save gas by limiting the amount it consumes. But again, it kind of sucks having that on a 350. The truck sat for a couple of years. Now that I have been driving it, well the problems started arising. I already replaced the master and slave cylinders for the hydraulic clutch, I did that myself, and had a new clutch put in as well. It has a 4 speed manual transmission (hopefully will get a 5 speed soon). Everything seemed to be ok, but now it seems to be flooding in the mornings. It doesn't do it every morning, but today I just could not get it started. I read about it, and it seems like I might have a stuck floater or bad needles? I think thats what they are called. Im a noob at this, but Im not scared to get my hands dirty. I want to get a kit and rebuild the carb myslef. the thing is that I dont know what brand it is.
Now my question is, should I just buy another carb or just fix this one? (and if so, where do I look for a serial number.) The intake is stock. I was just thinking about geting a 600CFM Edelbrock if anything. I have read nothing but bad reviews from the quadrajets, so I dont want to go back to that. My dad got the truck in 1993 so its been in the family since I remember. People have told me to sell it, but they say that here I will not get more than $1,000 USD and frankly the truck is worth more to me than that, emotionally that is. since it will probably end up in a farm. and also money wise, Especially if I just put $500 in it, and will have the compressor rebuilt. (good thing here in mexico is that they will rebuild just about anything, which makes things much cheaper)
Ill upload pics as soon as I can. The truck is in good shape. The grill is messed up (time for a billet grill I guess haha) and the paint is horrible, but the actual body is pretty straight. It has some kinks but nothing too bad.
Anyways I would love to hear your opinion when it comes to the carb.
Chewvaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:56 AM   #2
rayfinseats

Re: Hi From Mexico

QJET carbs actually work great on off road trucks. Edelbrock carbs are easy to work on. Most guys who complain about QJETS just don't know anything. They are kinda hard to work on but very reliable. Buggest problem is the return spring pulling rearward, it wears out the shaft, both throttle and spring pulling the same direction. Hard on carbs.
rayfinseats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 01:59 AM   #3
INSIDIOUS '86

I spent a month on my qaudrabog on my stock engine just to get it to run to my liking it was great for mileage and got me moving but i had to tune for winter then tune for summer. I now have a barry grant 750 and spent ten min tuning it and very happywith it. just it kills that go go juice. my friend has an edelbrock carb that runs great, Im just not to fond of them I personaly think they look ugly and they are hard starting carbs from my experiance. for you if you have the stock intake your best bet is to buy a reman quadra jet as a holley will not fit our stock intakes nor a edelbrock, because the intakes are spreadbore (one throttle bore bigger than the other) if you prefer the other carbs i would suggest a nice edelbrock intake and carb of your choice to get the best benifit from both the edelbrock and holley.

so pick your poison lol
377 sbc thumpr cam autogear m23 muncie 3:73 Detroit trutrac
3''spintech prostreet mufflers xpipe 1 3/4 headers
build thread !http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=577217
Iroc gauge threadhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=554511
INSIDIOUS '86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:55 AM   #4
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

get it back to Qjet would be the cheapest
if the intake is good,why change it
new gaskets,fluids,etc cost $$
a reman carb prob the best
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 03:12 PM   #5
Chewvaca

Ok I will look around here for a Reman QJET then. I will post picks too. Thanks guys.
Chewvaca is offline   Reply With Quote