The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-19-2011, 03:01 PM   #51
68 IRON

Re: A couple of photos from my "another cheap electric fan build"

Yeller, I was wondering if you could check the amp draw at fan start up. Do you see dimming of lights when the fan comes on? And these alternators are rated at about 60 amps?(stock 68 c10, straight 6) Seems kinda high, doesnt it? Just dont want to get in over my head.....I hate dealing with electricity (what I dont know). And yes I'm mulling over your offer.
68 IRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:38 PM   #52
Old Yeller 1970
DON'T TREAD ON ME

I'll see what I can do about checking the amp draw at start up. According to the guy who did the original conversion they pull 12 amps while running. My alternator is supposed to be a 60 amp unit. That's about half, or less, what a modern alternator puts out but it's only running the spark plugs and a puny radio during the day.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:55 PM   #53
68GMCCustom
Truck and auto performance nut

....and those older alt's don't put out that much at idle.

'68 GMC short step - NIB '09 LY6 6.0L crate motor w/mods, NIB '12 crate 4L85e w/billet 3k stall Circle D, 3.73 posi 12 bolt, DynaTech f-swap headers, 3/4 drop, handling mods, etc. - my toy
'72 Chevy LWB C-10 Highlander - 350/350 ps/pb/tilt/ac - not original but close
'06 Chevy TrailBlazerSS - LS2/4L70e - little black hot rod SUV - my DD
'18 Kia Sorento - wife's econo-driver
'95 Chevy S10 - reg cab shortbed, LS, 4.3, auto...

my '68's powertrain and chassis build -links broken
A surprise phase - carb to efi -links broken
68GMCCustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:33 PM   #54
kevmic28

I havent noticed the lights dimming at all. I bought a infrared temp sensor and realized that my gauge is bad. With the sensor after the engine running for 20 minutes the intake had a temp of 186. After I ran into town, 20 minute drive, the temp was up the 204 on the heads and the intake.
The fan is blowing so hard that there was a 100 degree temp difference between the tube on the front and the rear of my Hooker headers at idle.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:39 PM   #55
Old Yeller 1970
DON'T TREAD ON ME

Get this. My 30 amp breaker failed. It must have happened the first day I drove it because I noticed the truck ran hot at the end of the day when I had to make a stop in town. I got the rebuilt PS gear box on it today and took it out for a spin. When I got back to the garage I noticed the fan wasn't running. After some trouble shooting I found the breaker defective. I called Jegs tonight and they're sending me another one Monday. Give Jegs a thumbs up for customer service.

Concerning testing the amp draw I'm going to have to buy a cheap clamp on meter that will test DC.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:03 AM   #56
kevmic28

Yeah my breaker from Jegs was junk too. I went and got one from advanced auto for 3.50. Works just fine and even picked up and extra just in case. Also I ended up hard wiring a switch into the cab so I could have the fan on at start up and not wait till the engine heated up for the senssor to kick on.
I pulled a small trailer today with a couple dirtbikes to the next town over. about 40 mile trip and it ran about 200 the whole way and 205 back in 93 degree weather.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:27 PM   #57
DBear

if i was to use this set up with the dodge fan...what shroud does it fit??? Is there a stock shroud it would fit?
DBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:55 PM   #58
Old Yeller 1970
DON'T TREAD ON ME

Follow this link 'cause you're in luck. This all got started because the fan fits perfectly inside a stock 67-72 fan shroud.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:19 PM   #59
71meangreenc10
Its a Truck Thing......

I have my jeep fan in and with lights on, fan running I am pulling about 25 amps with a Amp Clamp on the Alt wires.....Stock Alt.

I also used a better kit for the fan realy that you can get from summit/jegs that turns the fans on @ 60% so the spike isnt that hard on the system.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FLX-31165/

Smitty
72 Chevy Blazer 4X4, Sloppy Jo, Mountain Climber. Wife says no more trucks. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=707378
72 GMC 1 Ton Motor Home, wife said no more trucks until she saw this one. Gen 3 6.0/4L80E 4.10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=761110
68 GMC Suburban was 3/4 ton, now 1/2.Wife shook her head
71 C30 Wrecker
71 C20 Scott-Bilt As weird as it gets..BB Cheyenne AC Truck
68 GMC Long Stepside. They keep following me home
71 C20 Longhorn/Ole Yellor
69 C30 Former Motor Home, Flat Bed time
71meangreenc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 06:54 PM   #60
Old Yeller 1970
DON'T TREAD ON ME

If it's pulling a steady load of 25 amps I can see why the 30 amp breaker didn't last long. Jegs did send a replacement but I think I'll get a 40.

Edit: I just realized that's 25 with the lights on. Still a 40 amp breaker might be in order.

Last edited by Old Yeller 1970; 05-06-2011 at 06:56 PM.
Old Yeller 1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 05:32 PM   #61
nightmare

quick question on this installation. I don't have a square head drive small enough to get the plug out of the head. I'm thinking about having the fan on only when the truck is on. Will it hurt the fan if it runs the entire time the truck is on?

2001 Dakota R/T - Silver CC - 1 of 1671 •360 w/46RE •392 limited slip
1972 Chevy Suburban - Turquoise/Black
1969 Chevy C/10 - Blue LWB •350 w/ 700R4 •3.73 posi •PS PB A/C - SOLD

Using your turn signal is not "giving information to the enemy"

67-72 FAQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCMAX View Post
My lugnuts require more torque than your honda makes!
nightmare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 05:49 PM   #62
kevmic28

I run mine all the time but I do have a switch wired up to it so I can turn it on and off at start up. So I switch it on after I start it so that Im not drawing that much energy at startup.
I just cut off the plug and wired in a couple quick disconnect connectors.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:47 AM   #63
MagmaJct

Thumbs up Re: A couple of photos from my "another cheap electric fan build"

Not sure how power steering brackets took over the thread, oh well.

I have the stock fan, but have looked into a replacement electric fan. I would have to suggest that the thermostat be installed coupled to the radiator, not the engine. Here's my logic:

The idea of controlling the fan is to have it run when it's needed, and have it shut off when it's not. The radiator needs air to flow through it for it to cool the water. When driving at speed ram air does the job without the fan needing to be on. This is where HP and fuel savings are realized.

At low speed or idle, very little to no air flows through the radiator. The fan solves this problem. If the thermostat is installed in the engine, the fan will come on with engine heat. Meaning, at high speed driving when more HP is being produced, so will more heat, the fan will come on. BUT, the fan is not needed at high speed, because ram air is sufficient.

The original fan clutch was sensitive to radiator heat more so than engine heat by the fact of its placement. At low speed/idle the clutch was surrounded by air heated from the radiator causing it to slip less. As vehicle speed increased so did the air flow thus cooling the radiator and the air around it, the clutch would slip more.

Want more HP and improved gas mileage? Use a sensor in the radiator. While it's true I've never run an electric fan on my truck, just thinking about the problem give me the answer.
MagmaJct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 11:30 AM   #64
Classic Heartbeat
Project Junkie! Fishing Poor!!

Quote:
I was wondering if you could check the amp draw at fan start up. Do you see dimming of lights when the fan comes on? And these alternators are rated at about 60 amps?(stock 68 c10, straight 6) Seems kinda high, doesnt it? Just dont want to get in over my head.....I hate dealing with electricity (what I dont know).
The stock alternator for non A/C trucks is 45 amp. WES
Call us Toll Free (888) 338-2502
Like Us on Facebook
No appointment necessary.
72 BB Chevy Custom Deluxe / Custom Camper
67 I-6 (Soon to be 5.7 LS1) Panel
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
72 6.0 LQ9 Short Bed Chevy 4X4
Olympia's fastest growing truck parts supplier.
Olympia's home for Wayward Chevys
Classic Heartbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 11:45 AM   #65
kevmic28

Problem I see with having the sensor on the radiator is that this. Using a infrared temp sensor I have noticed that the radiator has different temps depending on where you scan it. If you wait till the radiator hits 180 degrees or so the engine will be way hotter than that. The water running through the hose to the radiator starts the cooling effect.
Heres my resoning from my truck. Scan the heads they are at 190 degrees. Scan the radiator hose and its at say 175 to 180 degrees. Scan the radiator at the entry point and its 160 to 175 and drops to down from there as I scan across the radiator. So depending on where you put the sensor on the radiator sitting in stop and go traffic Im guessing the the engine temp would be somewhere between 240 and 260 to get the sensor to turn on the fan.
I mounted my sensor on top of the theromstat, in its housing. Once the thermostat his it temp and opens it hits the sensor and turns on the fan at 185. But I also have my fan hard wirded in the cab to a switch so I can just turn it on after I start the truck. That way its just always on. No probelms of over heating at all now.
If I can just fix my temp gage so it doesnt read at the top of the cool range Ill be good.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:08 PM   #66
Classic Heartbeat

To speak to installing the fans thermostat anywhere but in the radiator renders the thermostat innefective. The water that the fans cool is in the radiator, not anywhere else. So placing the censor anywhere else doesn't make sence to me. It would seem to me that the censor in the water neck would result in the fans running longer than necessary, because of the heat from the engine. If you want the fans to run longer to cool the water more, just set the temp setting lower. WES
Like Us on Facebook
68 BB Chevy Short Bed

Last edited by Classic Heartbeat; 05-15-2011 at 12:08 PM.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:35 PM   #67
kevmic28

Well the reason Im running mine in the water neck was because I could not get the plug out of the head on my engine. I tried everything I could think of but no dice. So this was the only other option.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:50 PM   #68
Classic Heartbeat

I believe that the water neck is better than the head, but not mutch. Installing one in the engine anywhere just isn't going to cool the water the why the fans are designed to cool. It musr be more about asthetics than utillity. Turning the fans on and off by hand would be just as effective, or just have them run all the time. WES
Like Us on Facebook
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
Old 05-28-2011, 08:48 PM   #69
Old Yeller 1970
DON'T TREAD ON ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Heartbeat View Post
The real test to a cooling systom is not while driving down the road where you have ambiant air forced through the radiator witch asists in cooling, but just sitting in traffic idleing. Then the fans have to do all the work. That is where the temprature sensor in the head will be innefective. WES
OK, finally got Old Yeller's new recovery tank installed and the failed 30 Amp fan breaker replaced and took the truck out for a spin this afternoon. When I noticed we were sitting at 106 degrees today, I figured this was as good a test as one can get.

I did a number of high speeds, slow speeds, starts and stops, and sitting and idling and the short answer is the cooling system performed great.

I drove about 2 1/2 miles down the road from a cold start. In the last 1/2 mile of the 2 1/2 miles, I noticed that the temperature gauge moved past 185 degrees (my thermostat rating) but was less than half way across. I figure that was when the thermostat was opening and would guess the temperature to have momentarily gone up to 195-200 degrees. That was right when I slowed down to turn around. I cut the truck off and verified that the fan was already running. By the time I turned around the gauge was sitting at the 185 mark. I drove about 90MPH for 2 miles and then slowed to a crawl for a 1/4 mile like city traffic and the gauge didn't move. I drove 4 more miles and stopped again and sat for a minute and the gauge didn't move. I drove back to the house at speeds between 70 and 90 MPH, crawled forward and and sat for a while longer and the gauge didn't move. When I cut the engine off I could hear that the fan had been running.

I've had enough experience with Old Yeller to know that if the fan isn't running or the system isn't properly cooling, coming to a stop will cause the engine temperature to begin rising immediately but that never happened. With the ambient temperature well over 100 degrees and, after warm up, a consistent engine temp of 185 at all speeds including no speed, I'm going to declare this a success and say that the temp sensor in the head is effective.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:14 PM   #70
68 IRON

I forgot to check back and get your report Yeller! With all the info here I think this is a no brainer. Listening to my son's engine spin that big fan (and the I6 turning that little bitty thing) I see more advantage than disadvantage.
68 IRON is offline   Reply With Quote